Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Aug/Sept Roast Comparison
allenb

Unta wrote:
sidamo guji..1/2 lb

give it a run or two..
sean

Have you established a roast level with the Sidamo that makes it shine. I don't want to screw it up on a test roast.

Thanks Sean!
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Unta
i think http://forum.home...post_23894 the profile i used here is pretty good..though eternally testing new things.
NP enjoy
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb
Sean,

How many degrees past first snaps of 1C?

Time from fist snaps of 1C to finish?

Is your 420 F with the Sidamo a fairly light roast?

Sorry for the inquisition but that would help me dial things in.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Unta
first snaps of FC start between 398 and 402.
i generally keep the same 10 degress per minute from 360 right on through to the finish.
the roast ends up city to city +
Sean Harrington
educate.

Unta
first snaps of FC start between 398 and 402.
I generally keep the same 10 degress per minute from 360 right on through to the finish.
the roast ends up city to city +
no problem
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

JETROASTER

rama wrote:

Scott- very cool foil stamp! You make those yourself?

That's red-neck custom using a local engraver, on magnesium plate, with an old iron as a heat source.
Fill it, seal it, then press.

I'm hoping to distract you with dazzle...in case the coffee tastes like doo-doo. -Scott

John Despres

seedlings wrote:

John Despres wrote:
Mine are pretty ugly, too... I roasted very light. I think this truly is a FC+ coffee...

John

What do you mean by "FC+"?

CHAD

Full City Plus. I like my roast at that degree best, but then I haven't tasted my comparison roast yet. I'm saving that for a blind entry with all the rest of them this weekend.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

John Despres

freshbeans wrote:

rama wrote:

Scott- very cool foil stamp! You make those yourself?

That's red-neck custom using a local engraver, on magnesium plate, with an old iron as a heat source.
Fill it, seal it, then press.

I'm hoping to distract you with dazzle...in case the coffee tastes like doo-doo. -Scott

Hey, Scott, I submitted doo-doo coffee last time. I even rated my own at the bottom in blind cupping... Yuck. One guy wouldn't even drink it! He culled my offering after smelling the wet grounds...Results are here http://forum.home...wstart=150 And this came shortly after doing well in the homeroasters competition Jim Schuman put together last fall... http://www.home-b...13074.html So within about 2 months I did pretty well and got a sound thrashing... It's all FUN, though!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings

John Despres wrote:

seedlings wrote:

John Despres wrote:
Mine are pretty ugly, too... I roasted very light. I think this truly is a FC+ coffee...

John

What do you mean by "FC+"?

CHAD

Full City Plus. I like my roast at that degree best, but then I haven't tasted my comparison roast yet. I'm saving that for a blind entry with all the rest of them this weekend.

John

I thought you were saying you roasted very light, Full City +. I understand you had TWO roasts! Nice.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
hoo doo, voo doo, you doo and doo doo...

I have a small gift for the person that "wins" has the best score in this
funtastic cupping we are in.

ginny

you all rock!!!~Grin

John Despres

ginny wrote:
hoo doo, voo doo, you doo and doo doo...

I have a small gift for the person that "wins" has the best score in this
funtastic cupping we are in.

ginny

you all rock!!!~Grin

MARBLES?????????
Respect the bean.
John Despres

JETROASTER
Humility is the door to learning. I'm ready for whatever comes. I must admit..this bean has me a bit stumped.
I will learn something, and have some fun.
...It's all good.
I'm watching for your beans. Are you in the U.P. ?

-Scott

John Despres
Scott, nope, I'm a troll and live in the mitten (under the bridge), Grand Rapids.

CHAD, yeah, I roasted a FC+, liked it, but tried a C/C+ roast which I sent out... I think I'm in for another thrashing. I roasted about 8 batches and I sill don't think I've gotten the hang of this bean...

I'm very excited to try everyone's offerings.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

ginny
me always be liking darker, longer rested beans!!

marbles, yes!!

Let' get together an play a game!

g

you guys rock!!!~Roflmao

JETROASTER
All the stuff has arrived. Haven't seen so many baggies since high-school. Cupping this weekend. -Scott

seedlings
I have coffee from everyone but the Mitten Troll :eye-popping:

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/24/2010 5:30 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Unta
I have everyone..
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb
John and Randy's arrived today so all accounted for.

Allen

John Despres
I have everyone. CHAD's coffee arrived today.

Cupping Sunday. Tomorrow's the first day open of my new gallery then a surprise birthday party to attend. Cupping Sunday.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Unta
good luck with the opening John! sounds great.. post some pics, I know I'd love to see it.
I think Sunday will be my cupping day also.
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb

allenb wrote:

Unta wrote:
sidamo guji..1/2 lb

give it a run or two..
sean

Have you established a roast level with the Sidamo that makes it shine. I don't want to screw it up on a test roast.

Thanks Sean!

I couldn't wait and roasted a 1/4lb batch of your Sidamo yesterday using my standard profile in my air roaster. This is probably one of the best roasts I've had in the last 6 months! Made for a perfect Saturday morning cup!

Thanks for thinking about us and I hope this coffee is available in the future.

Allen

Unta
still available allen...
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

John Despres

Unta wrote:
good luck with the opening John! sounds great.. post some pics, I know I'd love to see it.
I think Sunday will be my cupping day also.
Sean

If you're on Facebook, you can check it out there. Gallery 460. Pictures coming there soon. Thanks for the interest!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

ginny
John:

I am thrilled for your gallery!! Whoo Hooo, very cool.

will this be only you or have you other art as well?

I am jealous!!

got your beans today so I will cup tomorrow.

ginnyGrin

John Despres

ginny wrote:
John:

I am thrilled for your gallery!! Whoo Hooo, very cool.

will this be only you or have you other art as well?

I am jealous!!

got your beans today so I will cup tomorrow.

ginnyGrin

Thanks, Ginny!

I'll have a couple other folk with me as well. All three dimensional works. I'm staying away from flat art for the most part as I want a clean wall to show my mobiles against.

This was a long time coming. I've been cleaning out my studio and turning it into a gallery once a year and then reversing it after three days and putting all my works in storage where they couldn't be seen. Now they're out all the time. In addition, I will be the featured artist in the Grand Rapids On The Town magazine. Maybe my time has come.. It takes ten years to become an overnight success.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Jump to Forum: