Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Aug/Sept Roast Comparison
allenb
This link:http://coffeecupp...upping.htm

is from a post Chad placed during the March roast comparison.

It's got a lot of good tid-bits on cupping.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

seedlings
And here is a very simple cupping form:

http://www.coffee...ngform.htm

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Unta
form looks good and easy, aside from the cultivar, bean size moisture content and grade, unless that info is listed somewhere. I'm sure Zephyr would have a good bit of it if asked.
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

Unta
whole bunch of info here, most of the other chapters should list in the similar list while watching this one. http://il.youtube...SS_PapGqqw
Sean Harrington
educate.

randytsuch
another_jim posted this link at HB
http://qgrader.co...29343.html

Its a good writeup for all the details for formal cupping.
I think it may be too much for our informal comparision though?

I liked the form Chad found. I think we can skip the first two sections, and just fill out the last section.

Randy

JETROASTER
I agree. Any concensus on brew method? -Scott

Unta
Is it necessary to set a grams(ground coffee)/Grams or OZ water ratio for the group, or should we just go with what we usually use. I am generally very specific about using 12 grams of grounds per cup but my water add is done by volume typically i use a 12 oz glass so it ends up being about 8-9 oz, not really technically perfect , put i think its pretty close. Though i usually cup three samples per coffee which theoretically balances any inconsistencies..

what do you guys use for a ratio, im open to adjusting my system if any of the exprienced crowd might have a suggestion, John?CHAD..what do you guys think?
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb

Unta wrote:
Is it necessary to set a grams(ground coffee)/Grams or OZ water ratio for the group, or should we just go with what we usually use. I am generally very specific about using 12 grams of grounds per cup but my water add is done by volume typically i use a 12 oz glass so it ends up being about 8-9 oz, not really technically perfect , put i think its pretty close. Though i usually cup three samples per coffee which theoretically balances any inconsistencies..

what do you guys use for a ratio, im open to adjusting my system if any of the exprienced crowd might have a suggestion, John?CHAD..what do you guys think?

Was there a consensus on a preferred brewing method after the last swap?

In regards to a ratio, if the decision is to use a standard method we should at least provide a suggested range of coffee to water.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Unta
I'm a bit confused about the "method" question. Is there more than one?
Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings

Unta wrote:
Sean

It's a little bit of semantics, different ways to say the same thing, or different numbering systems to score. I like simple.

Although, I've learned recently that we're not really 'cupping'. 'Cupping' in the technical sense refers to very light roast, near the end of first crack, as they would in a Cup Of Excellence contest. We're doing more of a 'tasting'.

Someone put them all on a wall and throw a dart.

CHAD

*EDIT*
I completely missed what you were asking, Sean. Brewing: We (I) used 7 grams of coffee per 5 oz of near boiling water per http://coffeecupp...upping.htm

Edited by seedlings on 08/12/2010 7:40 PM

allenb

Unta wrote:
Sean

My question lacked clarity. What I meant to ask was, did it end up that each participant could brew or cup however they liked or restricted to the standard cupping format.

Allen

Unta
ahhh, i was under the assumption that we were restricted smile
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings
7 grams coffee per 5 ounces near boiling water.

CHAD

Unta
how do you go about measuring your 5 oz's?
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings

Unta wrote:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/135oz.jpg

CHAD

Unta
do you use an electric pot or the stove? nice pic:Clap:
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings
I use a kettle on the stove so I can heat enough for all the cups at once. While the water is heating, I grind each sample and put it in a cup, then clean out the grinder after each coffee. Once the water hits boiling (don't let it boil and boil and boil), I pour some in the pyrex glass measuring cup to preheat, then dump that water out. Then fill to 5oz and pour into each cup. don't touch the coffee after the water has poured in. Set the timer for 4:00. After 4:00, go quickly to each cup and break the crust with your spoon and inhale deeply, make quick note, go to next cup, etc. Then push the grounds down to the bottom of each cup and/or scoop the grounds out with a couple of spoons. Finally, spoon/slurp each coffee until you have enough info to give a score.

CHAD

Unta
very similar system.
Sean Harrington
educate.

John Despres

seedlings wrote:

Unta wrote:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/135oz.jpg

CHAD

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Roflmao
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings
All coffee has shipped. 5# available.

CHAD

JETROASTER
Perhaps a quick review of all hands in for the comparison?
I'm one! -Scott

seedlings
1) Scott
2) CHAD

Unta
rube is in

Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb
4. Allen (Chad, I hope my $ made it to you)

ginny
Can someone spell out the rules/parameters of the roast comparison?

please?

gGrin

Jump to Forum: