Ginny

Ginny:
-get the coffee
-roast the coffee to find out how it tastes
-roast your 'best roast' for this bean
-ship 10g to each of the other participants, keeping some for yourself
-receive samples from the other participants
-on a preset day, cup all samples and post notes/scores

Prepare each cupping with 7g ground coffee to 5 fl oz near boiling water. We haven't officially settled on a cupping scoresheet.

Good times!

CHAD

Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
I'm in!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

randytsuch
I think the final list of participants is
Randy
Chad - Seedlings
Scott - freshbeans
allenb
John
Ginny
Sean
Rama

So, we have 8 people.
I'm on vacation this week, but I'm sure the coffee is waiting for me at home.

I would still propose mid to late sept to send the beans to each other.
Does anyone have any dates that they can't support, or that they would prefer?
How does sending the beans on the sept 20/21, and cupping on the 25 and 26th sound?

For the form, I like the one Chad linked to before
http://www.coffee...ngform.htm

But we would only fill in the bottom section
Fragrance
Aroma
Flavor
Acidity
Body
Aftertaste

But I guess I'm not sure what the difference is between fragrance and aroma? Dry versus wet?

Randy

ginny
I am in, just need addresses.
g:P

randytsuch

ginny wrote:
I am in, just need addresses.
g:P

If everyone sends me a PM with their mailing and email address, I will compile the list, and email it out to everyone.

Randy

Unta
Sean Harrington
547 royalston road
Fitzwilliam NH 03447...
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb

seedlings wrote:
7 grams coffee per 5 ounces near boiling water.

CHAD

Chad,

I cupped a couple of my Harrar roasts today and used the 7 grams to 5oz water ratio but it comes out a little weak making it difficult to discern flavors.

While working for a roastery a few years ago we always used two tablespoons to a chaffing bowl (around 5 oz water) which typically came out to around 8 to 9 grams coffee depending on grind.

One site (Coffee research) recommends 55 grams coffee per liter which comes out to 8.13 grams coffee per 5oz water (give or take).

Not to quibble over small details but wanted to make sure we didn't end up with poor cupping scores due to being too weak.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

seedlings
It doesn't matter at all to me what the ratio is. I've just copied and pasted what 'they,' since I don't actually know.

8~9g Sounds good! Unfortunately my scale is only accurate to whole grams, not tenths.

CHAD

allenb
I did some more experimentation and with my local water supply 9 grams is just right. Of course, I like stout coffee anyway.ThumbsUp
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

John Despres

seedlings wrote:
It doesn't matter at all to me what the ratio is. I've just copied and pasted what 'they,' since I don't actually know.

8~9g Sounds good! Unfortunately my scale is only accurate to whole grams, not tenths.

CHAD

Sorry...:|
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

ginny
Grin
Edited by ginny on 08/28/2010 8:37 PM

seedlings
Aw, John, you're loved! My scale is perfect - I'm not complaining at all, just making note...

***off topic***
Once upon a time I was whining about how much a cup of green coffee weighs. Well, someone (John) got sick of hearing me ask others to weigh volumes of coffee for me (since I didn't have a scale). Then, a few days later, a scale showed up at my door, and shut me up! Thank you, John! Great fellow, that guy. :Clap:
***end off topic***

CHAD

randytsuch
I just sent an email to all participants, with everyone's address.

Please let me know if you did not get the email, or if there is a problem with your information.

Two weeks left until we mail.

An usual (like last time), I have procrastinated, and just did my first couple roasts yesterday. One had a faster ramp, and I think that one smells better right now. I plan to cup them tomorrow, and then experiment some more.

Randy

ginny
Randy,

thanks, got it.

I have done several small roasts. For me a City ++ seems the right place for this
(for me.)

Roasting some this afternoon to a lighter then darker roast so we will see.

Heck my tastes buds could be a total bomb!!

ginnyShock

seedlings
**Reminder**

Ship freshly roasted coffee September 20th or 21st.
Cup coffee on 25th or 26th.

CHAD

allenb
Can someone with first hand knowledge of problems with the last swap (destroyed coffee) go over one more time some of the things to avoid in packaging so the postal service doesn't end up covering their truck floor with our fine Harrar?Shock

Allen

randytsuch
Some of us tried to save money, and ship the beans in a normal envelope, with a couple of stamps.

They fed the envelopes through automatic mail sorters, and some beans were crushed.

A larger envelope, with a little padding would probably fix this problem, but probably with a higher postage cost.

Randy

John Despres
Yeah, most arrived pre-ground, but not very well. I suggest a grinder, not the US Postal Service. :(

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

allenb
With a little training I'll bet they could get the grind as we like by figuring out how many passes to give it. Four passes for medium, 12 for espresso.

I'm using the padded 4x7 mailers with coffee in a freezer ziplock.

Does anyone think this might be survivable?

Allen

JETROASTER

allenb wrote:

Allen

That should work. I think the padded envelope bypasses the postal grinder system.
Is Monday ship day? -Scott

ginny
Hey guys:

the padded envelope is actually a package for USPS.

you can use a large envelope that is thick in one spot and it does not go through the
machine. put a foam peanut on the envelope, makes it a package but cheap.

shipping marbles has given me a new respect for those trying to save money on shipping.

have a great weekend...

love ya all

ginny

and thanks for the BD wishes.Shock

allenb
I've already bought the padded mailers so I'll probably go ahead and use them if it's not a huge increase over an envelope with peanut.

allenb

freshbeans wrote:

allenb wrote:

Allen

That should work. I think the padded envelope bypasses the postal grinder system.
Is Monday ship day? -Scott

I was planning on shipping Monday or Tuesday.

Allen

Unta
The USPS Machines are changing, the new robots are actually sorting flats also, not everywhere in the country yet, but I was working in two o the major sorting facilities in the northeast that were installing them..... pretty soon we're going to have to start the Carrier pigeon training thread..
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

allenb

Unta wrote:
The USPS Machines are changing, the new robots are actually sorting flats also, not everywhere in the country yet, but I was working in two o the major sorting facilities in the northeast that were installing them..... pretty soon we're going to have to start the Carrier pigeon training thread..
sean

If my USPS has the new robots and is sorting flats does that mean that a bubble padded mailer will get the steam roller?

Allen

Jump to Forum: