Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Aug/Sept Roast Comparison
seedlings
Dang.... storms blew through Kansas City this weekend and I've been swamped working... I'm waaaay behind! Might be able to roast tonight, ship tomorrow... <fingers crossed>

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

Unta
Im on the same schedule..except roasting now.. cupping later... shipping in the am..
Sean Harrington
educate.

ginny
Ha, you can be late chadskie...

this time it's not me!!

all of mine went out this am. considering the time for shipping I roasted yesterday morning so the rest would be 4 plus days depending on the USPS!!

9/19/2010 at 9am your coffee was carefully fire roasted for your enjoyment.
you each will receive approx 20 grams so you can try it more then once.

I included in the small box a sample of the bags I use for my 1lb and sample coffee and if anyone needs any simply email me.

you guys rock, you are awesome and this will be great fun and learning since I am not a great cupper but i do taste the flavors in my coffee.

thanks,

ginnyShock

randytsuch
I just went to the PO, and shipped all of my beans.

I roasted last night, and everyone got 15 grams of my beans.

I will probably cup a little of the leftover's in a couple days, and see how it came out.

Randy

allenb
I'm late,

Will be shipping in the am tomorrow 20 grams/person.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JETROASTER
shipping tomorrow. Cheers -Scott

Unta
20+ grams headed out tommorrow...
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

seedlings
Have absolutely no idea how these beans will cup. First attempt I stalled the roast right at first crack, dropping 10F bean temp Shock Second attempt I was more cautious... too cautious? Munch shows promise, but this was a bad time to switch to the new roaster.

Ship tomorrow. I'll have the profile available, but won't include it with the beans - more guessing.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/20/2010 9:02 PM

seedlings
Shipped out this morning. $1.22 per envelope (I packed same as last time), with one exception...

Allen Bartee, come on down! You're the next winner of the 'Price is Higher'! You got the lucky $1.39 envelope.

(Now... where'd my knife go?)
CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/21/2010 8:33 AM

ginny
I just used the small boxes I ship marbles in; I still kept the price 1.90 or under by putting in only 1 of each bag for you guys.

gShock

seedlings
ginny, you might want to get some of your marbles back.
Roflmao

'Lost your marbles?'

CHAD

randytsuch

ginny wrote:
I just used the small boxes I ship marbles in

Marbles?

seedlings wrote:
Have absolutely no idea how these beans will cup. First attempt I stalled the roast right at first crack, dropping 10F bean temp Shock Second attempt I was more cautious... too cautious? Munch shows promise, but this was a bad time to switch to the new roaster.

Ship tomorrow. I'll have the profile available, but won't include it with the beans - more guessing.

CHAD

I was thinking the same, one of my early roasts came out very nicely, with a good, ethiopian blueberry taste.

But, I have been experimenting with my roaster (my arduino project), and I'm not sure that I was able to recreate that early roast.

BTW, I shipped in a padded envelope, $1.05 per to ship, plus 50 cents for the envelope.

Randy

John Despres
Roasted this morning and bubble mailers going out shortly.

I think I may have hit a decent roast this morning.

Ginny roasted marbles?:up-late:

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

ginny
My roast was a tad darker then I wanted, just a peek no more.

I roasted yesterday about 9am; I always try the roast the next morning or when I roast it depending on the time and if I remember I roasted!!

This morning cafe crema was a creamy cup. This roast has not rested enough yet but I don't care I had 3 cremas!

One I put sugar and 1/2&1/2 in and I felt like I had a marshmallow sliding down, very good.

We will see; I will post day two rest in the m.

ginnyGrin

marbles, yes I sell on eBay when I have time.

Unta
The coffee is in route..there is also a surprise in every box,. On top of that one ?lucky? person received two samples...
priority said John should be the last one to get his on friday.. so fingers crossed for the USPS..
I went the small box route also..

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

John Despres
FRIDAY??!!? No way, Dude...

Okay... I won't be able to cup until Sunday, so there's a buffer day for you, Sean.

Mine are in the hands of the USPS at a cost of $1.39 each. A fair price, I think.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Unta
you did far better than I ...price wise. i will have to spend a bit more time figuring out the cheapest way next time...
i would expect that packages will be ready to open themselves by sunday...oh And i sent 30 grams for those who want to pick through and slect the 75 finest specimens...
I say grind em all..theres flavor in those off colored guys..

Sean= dude smile
Sean Harrington
educate.

John Despres

Unta wrote:
oh And i sent 30 grams for those who want to pick through and slect the 75 finest specimens...

Sean= dude smile

YEAH! No culling the roast! Brew 'em as they arrive.

Now, 'fess up... Who culled their roast before they sent them out?

I did, but it was a stone I took out and about 6 gray beans.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

allenb
I roasted on Sunday and shipped today so I guess mine will be a day older than most of the roasts.

I did the 4" x 7" bubble envelopes, postage was $1.05 each. Can't remember what the envelopes cost.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb

John Despres wrote:

Unta wrote:
oh And i sent 30 grams for those who want to pick through and slect the 75 finest specimens...

Sean= dude smile

YEAH! No culling the roast! Brew 'em as they arrive.

Now, 'fess up... Who culled their roast before they sent them out?

I did, but it was a stone I took out and about 6 gray beans.

John

COFFEE CONFESSIONS

Ok, you got me. I pulled (out of 8 oz roasted) about 8 beans that looked like they were part of King Tuts tomb exiibit but maybe a tad bit uglier, very pale, almost cream white. Had a rock and one piece of what looked like a large pop corn in the roast before but no foreign objects to cull on this roast.

Allen

seedlings
I took 2 rocks out, no beans. With the longer dry time, and a slightly darker roast (looking for sweetness), the roast was much more even.

6 more volunteers for Allen's firing squad?

CHAD

allenb

seedlings wrote:
I took 2 rocks out, no beans. With the longer dry time, and a slightly darker roast (looking for sweetness), the roast was much more even.

6 more volunteers for Allen's firing squad?

CHAD

Hey, wait a minute!

If I'd taken em to a good dark french roast I would of probably left the Tut beans in there.

JETROASTER
Don't Shoot!!! I culled nothing. Protect your grinders!!

-Scott

seedlings

allenb wrote:
Hey, wait a minute!

If I'd taken em to a good dark french roast I would of probably left the Tut beans in there.

No 2nd crack, but it was in the 430s. I yield.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 09/22/2010 8:17 AM

JETROASTER
Goodies are beginning to arrive! Thanks Randy and Ginny

Jump to Forum: