Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
air roaster
John Despres
Is that the video you wanted?
John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

dja
yep John thats the one! how come it never works when I do it????

Yep I got them air slots just a little to wide, Tweek number 2349.
Edited by dja on 11/03/2010 4:50 AM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

Unta
that looks a lot better david. smile
sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

dja
No work on the roaster today, Glad that you like the bean flow Sean.
I hope everyone likes the roaster, there are things on it that I am going to change. Listed below.
1. I want a larger diameter roast chamber, not really for more beans but more room for the beans that I will put in it.
2. the heater chamber is going to get insulation inside it to keep some of the heat away from the metal tube.
3. the heater chamber tube is going to be changed to the same size as the motor chamber.
(Hopefully I will find thinner or be able to thin down the tubing to get rid of some weight)
4. I am also going to shorten up the heater / vac motor sections as much as I can, get rid of weight, (what I need to do).
back to number 1. a larger roast chamber will also make it easier to clean, the 4" tube I can just get my hand thru it to clean the oils for the beans off.
5. I also need to get some NiChrome that is smaller in Diameter than what I have, smaller wire equals more coil with the same heat. The coil I had, I ended up cutting most of it off to get the heat up using 110 VAC, wattage amperage don't ask I don't know, I'm a hillbilly we just make things work.

Otherwise I'm pretty happy right about now with the roaster, wish there was a build contest going on, I'd enter the Beast as Chad so aptly named it, shes been one hell of a monster to put together.

I hope to take this weekend a video from start to finish in under 15 minutes, that I plan on posting somehow.
David.

JETROASTER
OK , I think I've got a really good lead on borosilicate glass tube. I know a guy in the biz. He'll be back Monday with some pricing.
His staff said any size tube from 4" up to 120" !! Any length...raw cut or heat polished edge.
If I'm lucky, he may have some cast-offs. We'll see. -Scott

endlesscycles

freshbeans wrote:
OK , I think I've got a really good lead on borosilicate glass tube. I know a guy in the biz. He'll be back Monday with some pricing.
His staff said any size tube from 4" up to 120" !! Any length...raw cut or heat polished edge.
If I'm lucky, he may have some cast-offs. We'll see. -Scott

Oh man, that's really cool. 10' diameter? WOW.
I'm very interested in a 8"x12" piece.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

dja
great on the BoroSilicate tube, I figure a peice 6" X 18" with a wall thickness of .125 should handle more than I want to roast at one time, but a 2.5 LB roast would be really nice around the hoidays to do gift batches with, and you can always dial the air and heat down for smaller 1# batches, plus that size is an easy clean for guys with extra large burger hooks like mine.

everyone watch for the new video coming soon.

David

JETROASTER
By Monday, I'll know more. Once I get some info, I'll post a thread and see who else is interested.
He does all industrial stuff, it will likely be thicker than .125, but that should be a good thing. -Scott

seedlings
Very nice improvement on the airflow!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

dja
Ok got the high temp insulation today for the heater section, drilled a couple of thermal couple test points, planing on picking up a larger diameter tube for the heater section tomorrow.

darn there's so much roaster building to do and so little time to do it in. What with having to grab a sandwich and a cup of joe every now and then.

dja
This thing ROCKS, I finally got around to being able to work on the roaster, added a foot of coiled NiChrome back onto what I already had in the roaster, put the thing back together and dumped in some grunge green (close to a Lb) that I got from the local that builds the type of roasters that we all dream of (the ones that will handle a couple hundred pounds at a time), I fired the thing up for about a 15 minute roast I was putting way to much air into the thing (hope this motor can take a lot of low speed running).
The pic is the results, video to follow in the really near future.
dja attached the following image:
roast.jpg

Edited by dja on 11/06/2010 5:54 PM

allenb
Do you know what the country of origin is for the grunge beans. The pic looks like an Ethiopian (two tone).

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

dja
it was just some cull beans that they use to test new roasters with at Roasters Exchange, where I buy beans locally from the store they have in the front of the building.

what the C/O is I have no idea, the last beans that I bought for testing were some Columbian and Ethiopian because I like em.

That roast took about 15 minutes, it would of been faster but I was pumping to much air in the first part of the roast, but was scared I would trip the circuit breaker that I was plugged into. It seems like I may of figured the heating element out, I had the air speed down to only about 20 volts without the heating element frying, I used half of a butt splice to crimp part of what I had cut off back onto the coil(seem to be working).

I plan on ordering some smaller coil or maybe just stright wire if its cheaper and make my own coil something a little smaller in diameter and make the coil longer.

ThumbsUp
Edited by dja on 11/07/2010 7:02 AM

dja
seeing as to how I don't have the director skill of Steven Spillberg my video kinda sucks but here it is, I cut two minutes off the front end as I thought you could only post 10 minutes worth on youtube.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da9yQ9aZWyE[/video]
Edited by Unta on 11/07/2010 6:18 PM

dja
well I guess someone will be kind enough to give me a lesson in how to embed a U-Tube video on homeroasters.org

seeing as how I forgot to post this in the other thread and I can't go back and edit it, the amout of beans in the video is one pound weighed on my postal type scale, next roast will be 1.5 pounds, I will continue to increas the amount by .5 pounds till the roaster does not preform as needed or it won't roast the beans. Then I get to build a bigger one.

Oop's almost forgot, the beans are Columbian from a burlap bag (jute to some people).

Temps in the video.

Oh yea forgot to add this also, the thermal couple is about .5" about the air inlet or just in the bottom of the bean mass. No Outlet temp, didn't feel like digging out another temp controller, let me just say the outlet is hot, real HOT.
Edited by dja on 11/07/2010 5:29 PM

dja
heres the embeded code from youtube
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/da9yQ9aZWyE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/da9yQ9aZWyE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

and here is the url

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da9yQ9aZWyE

which when I try it works.

as I found them on the youtube site, or PM me you email and I will email them to you
Edited by dja on 11/07/2010 6:42 PM

Unta
first a bracket like this one [ then the word video the another bracket like this] then the URL the another bracket like this [ then a slash like this / then the word video then another bracket like this]

it will look like this with these brackets [ ] {video} url {/video}
smile
sean
Edited by Unta on 11/07/2010 6:47 PM
Sean Harrington
educate.

dja
so its video inside the brackets instead of youtube which is what you get when you push the button

Sean you got your brackets messed up
Edited by dja on 11/07/2010 7:42 PM

John Despres
Or just highlight the entire video address and click the movie clapper below. Why type code when you can click once?

Do not use the youtube button below. It doesn't work.

John
Edited by John Despres on 11/07/2010 8:03 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

dja
glad to hear that after I don't know how many times I have messed with trying to post a video.
will have to try it your way when I do another video, cause theirs sure don't work.

seedlings
I liked watching the sun rise reflected on the glimmering roaster!

Looked like the beans were starting to yellow at 360F (3:00 into the film). This temp is a little 'high', or perhaps your probe is close enough to the heat source to read inlet+bean temp. First crack at 421F (7:45) is also a little high. Suggest you move that probe up a couple of inches to get a better reading of actual bean temperature...

Other than that piddly comment, you have a roaster phenom!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
That thing just keeps getting better! Nice light in the AM.

I don't want to schmuck up this thread, but I got some info on the borosilicate;
Borosilicate Glass Tube

And the skinny is; 152mm (aprox 6" dia. ) Thickness is 3mm(.118" ). A case is 2ea, 59" lengths (118"total ) @ 250.00$
Roughly 2.20$ per inch. Add 20.00$ per cut. (cut and polished)
So a 12" is roughly 26.00$ plus the cut (20.00$) 46.00$ for a 6"x12" tube.

The 8" diameter stuff is thicker(5mm), so the cost goes up....alot. basically 6.50$ per inch plus the cut.

The 6" is normally in stock, pretty easy to deal with small orders. The 8" would require ordering a 'case'. A case is a 59" length @ 383.00$
Above all that, add a bit for shipping. (this stuff is heavy)
I don't currently have plans to use any, but I certainly would help folks coordinate an order.

Also, my original understanding that it went up to 120" in diameter was incorrect. So if you were planning a roaster the size of a kiddie pool, this guy probably can't help us.

Looking forward to results from your primo stash of beans!!
-Scott
Edited by JETROASTER on 11/08/2010 3:57 PM

dja
the word must of gotten out that the Okie finally build a roaster,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,roflmao

Chad; the probe at this moment is about a half inch about the slotted plate in the bottom of the funel. So its probably more inlet air temp than bean temp, with the bean flow in this thing I am leaning towards putting the probe in the downward flowing side of the bean mass, right at the top of the cone. catch the temp as the beans slide back down into the the funnel.

if you like the afternoon sun painting the roaster pink as it reflects off the side of my truck, you would of really loved the first two minutes of the vid that I cut with the shining star on the glemmering Pyrex roast Chamber.

I have to dig some more stuff out of the closet so I cana hook the PXR4 to my laptop and record the temp of the next roast. You guys are going to have to bare with me on this as I always roast by the seat of my Wranglers. If I can remember how to get it all hooked back up.

I'm also thinking that I am going to have to control the roast with the air instead of the heat, from what I learned during the roast on sunday I was making very small adjustment to the air to get the rise in temp, gradually lowering the voltage to the fan. Very small adjustments as seem at one point in the video the beans stop flowing but if you rewatch the video you will see my hand on variac hardly moves.

Scott; It sounds like your guy is dealing with the same people that I was looking at on the internet for the tube. sixty Bucks for what I am wanting is not too bad, I could of course shorten it to 14" like the tube that I have and live with that, its the diameter that I am after more than anything else cause with the tube I have now I can put a lot more beans in it that what was in the video.

I may try the coleman globe bit and see if I can knock out a coupler to mate two of them together to gain the extra width in diameter before buying the tube from you dude. but if an extra sixty bucks drops my way, I may just have the start of a new improved version of my roaster will just have to see. still have to finish this one.

Thanks guys for all the help and support during the building of this roaster. I still have a ways to go with it, I have to insulate it and put some skin on it, rewire it to allow for the skin, there is some changes that have to be made to the heater chamber, and about another 4,399 things that I will probably think of that don't or shouldn't be changed.

I am hunting for a smaller variac, or basicly just lare variable resistor for the fan motor. Ops almost forgot have to change the heater coil as this ones pretty trashed been chopped on for a while.
It Lives to Roast Beans.
David

Whats he figuring that shipping will cost????
Edited by dja on 11/09/2010 4:36 AM

dja
ran out of beans this morning so I dragged the roaster outside since it was kinda warm and the drizzling rain had stopped.

took a little video, found another problem with the roaster, not a problem just that I had to get off my butt and stick a damper in the top so I could stop using a hunk of cast iron to block the exit with so that the chaff could exit freely adn blow over to the nebighors yard.

http://www.mydeo....CID=311730

This roast was done Thrusday afternoon, I had a lot of problems during the roast number one was trying ot keep the two halfs of the roaster from doing their own thing, I also had moved the thermal couple and was having problems with the temp. I had been using a chunk of Cast Iron to block the air exit the hole that I had left for the air to escape plugged with chaff and caused me to have to use more fan then I had used in previous roast.

Like I said lots of problems, I have since made and installed a blade damper drilled the top secton under the damper for a exit thermal couple found an dusted off my other Fuji PXR4 which I wired for a K probe.

Trying out this Mydeo site for streaming video, seems ok, but not supported by Homeroast no biggie.

Anyway enjoy the video....
Edited by dja on 11/12/2010 4:52 PM

dja
well if everything goes accroding to mother nature I am going to drag everything out into the back yard ( still have t make a chaff collector) and give the beast a pound of beans and see what we can do with it.

Still have a bunch of little things to do most of its pretty work, have to insulate and put some skin on it so people don't burn their little fingers, cause it gets kinda hot where the heater coil is located even thou I already have a 1/2 inch of creamic fiber felt insulation on it, and after all the hard work I put into it be a shame not to finish the skin.

So hopefully before the weekend we will have a new video for all you kind people. along with some temps got both PXR4's out and wired and working, finally figured out the router speed controller, (I must be a REDNECK on that one) don't ask.
Still have to locate a nice resonable sized box for a control panel, going by electrical supply house for that one tomorrow.

David

Jump to Forum: