Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Quest M3
ginny

make sure you post links to where you buy your stuff so I can put them into our supplier area for all members to see and perhaps use...

ginny

John Despres
Sweet upgrades!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Apricotbeans
Hi all,

Just wondering how do you maintain the rust that will form in the quest's drum or surrounding?

I was thinking of getting some solution in hardware store, that is safe for use with food equipments.

Any other ideas?

Dan
To maintain rust I coat it with clear lacquer. Roflmao

Seriously, try Naval Jelly or a solution of Iron Out. These use acids, and acids are noted for rinsing clean with fresh water leaving no residue. If you are concerned about possible toxicity, heat up the machine and 'burn' it out.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

John Despres
The drum is indeed stainless steel. The face plate, however is not. The rest is SS.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

Apricotbeans
Thanks for the replies. I apologize if this is quite obvious but did any of you heck the inside of your drum upon purchase? Could I have pictures of your internal drums just for an idea? And also how do you wash the drum?

Apricotbeans
Sorry I meant *check

Apricotbeans

BlrdFx wrote:

If I were to want to wash the drum I would take it out and wash it. Quest is very easy to dismantle.

Here are some photos of what I am doing with mine. Still waiting for parts on the cooling bin Mod w/rotating arm.

[img]http://mini4fun.info/Quest/Quest_M3_Mods.html[/img]

Is the face plate nickel plated or chromed??

Thanks for sharingsmile I can only imagine how much effort you have placed in modding it. Would you have a clearer up close picture of the interior?

John Despres
I have no idea what the coating on the steel is. Looks pretty, though, don't you think?

Grin
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Apricotbeans
What do you guys think? I need advice because I dont know what to expect from the internals of a drum roaster. Is the 'rust' like stains at the hinges of the internal posts normal?

I hope the replies from this post will serve to reassure others who ever doubt the quality of the Quest and that such stains are actually inherent and alright to roast with.

Thanks!
Apricotbeans attached the following image:
internal_of_quest.jpg

Apricotbeans
Please bear with my ignorance or impatience, however did I post something that shouldnt be posted? I really would appreciate the advice. I still have a few questions to ask regarding the Quest and I am humbled to be noticed and given some of your time.

ginny
Hi Apricotbeans:

Please feel free to ask any questions you want; around here there is no stupid or dumb question. You did not make an improper post. If a member only has time for a one word response ignore him/her...

Thanks for the photo, it makes a big difference when you ask specific questions if you post a photo.

I see burnt coffee build up and not rust, what could be a minor amount of rust is simply from some moisture in the beans and with some light steel wool will come right off. I doubt seriously if it will impact your roasted beans.

some stains look like solder burn and is nothing.

when did you buy your Quest, how long have you had it and where did it come from, what part of the country?

I will take a photo of the inside of mine later and post it for you.

thanks in advance and let's see if we can get you roasting and not over loaded with worry...

ginny

rockon

thanks for joining us and we appreciate your support Apricotbeans

Apricotbeans
Hi Ginny,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have been looking forward to a reply for close to a week. Haha:} I got it straight from the manufacturer, and the country of origin is taiwan. The picture I posted is day 2 of getting the roaster and has not roasted any beans yet. With assurance from the manufacturer who has been answering my emails almost as soon as possible, and because of my impatence, I have roasted 4 roasts already.

Though I would still appreciate advice and opinions of existing users.

I was quite disappointed when I saw all the discolouration in the roaster. Some were smooth, and I was told was weld marks. Some were rough, which I felt was rust however was told otherwise. That's why I felt the need to ask the advice of other quest users on the insides of the drum upon purchase.

Thank you once again Ginny.

ginny
Apricotbeans:

if the roaster was new, in a box from manufacturing company it is all weld marks, period.

I will look at a new on a friend just got and take a shot of it to see how close they look; will be going over to see her in a bit...

it is really helpful, as I mentioned, if you give us all the information you when you post an initial/specific question since it allows no second guessing and provides any member that reads your post the whole story.

I am not sure you will find a manufacturing company that will clean all of it's weld to suit an individual buyer, simply not going to happen in this day and age unless it is a smaller family owned business.

to your comment that you have been waiting a week for a response let me remind you that we are small, yes we are open 24/7 but we are not all on all of the time so you do need to be patient and allow your post to live in limbo until a member comes along who can/will respond.

forums are funny, strange and wonderful places. many members are selfish and only take information while others look around and help in any forum thread they can; so the key is to be patient.

ginny

beach

that said, forget the welds and roast...
Edited by ginny on 08/01/2013 1:22 PM

Dan
AB, What you are seeing isn't rust, but rather discoloration from the heat of welding. I wouldn't give it another thought.

It is common practice to "burn out" a new appliance by heating it up until any smoke subsides. For coffee roasters, this is often making a first roast the tossing it out.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

John Despres
Keep posting and enjoy the forums while you wait for an answer.

I understand it can be frustrating at times, but sometimes those with an answer for you don't necessarily log on every day. Or they may have a very short time and may miss your post.

In any event, don't sweat the discoloration - It's not rust. As pointed out, I agree it's most likely heat discoloring and coloring from the beans. All drums become brown on the inside.

Even a regular steel drum won't rust if it's being used as the heat will dry out any moisture remaining after a roast.

Have fun, be patient, roast and read the forums.

But mostly, just have fun.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Apricotbeans
Thank you, Ginny, Dan & John. I appreciate all your replies, and for how in depth each reply is. Its comforting to see how attentive you all are when attending to me, I felt quite insecure about my quest and the posts I made in the forum. Thanks for making me feel at home in the forums.

And I will check out the condition of the drum once again, when I have the chance. Perhaps it may have cleared up with the roasts I have done. And I feel more comfortable about my quest now and will keep to roasting.

Btw one last question for now, does any part of the drum switch on upon the timer switch being activated, other then the rolling of the drum?

For mine, my fans seem to be activated, and when adjustig the knob for fan. Min to Max. It doesnt seem to make a difference in terms of sound of the fan. It feels like the fan is on Max, regardless of position of knob.

Sincerely,

Thank you very very much,

Ignatius

Apricotbeans
My fan seems to be on all the time, regardless of setting of the fan. Is there any adjustment or tweaking I can do to fix the speed?

Thanks for the reply:}

Apricotbeans
Thanks for the tip! :}

ginny
Are you saying that when the unit is plugged in the fan is on or when you start it's on?

ginny

Apricotbeans
The moment I turn the timer dial, to start it up, I hear the fan start up.

And I have not heard it without fan before, not sure if its normal.

Also, whether at minimum or maximum, when adjusting the knob, the fan's sound doesnt change.

John Despres

Apricotbeans wrote:

The moment I turn the timer dial, to start it up, I hear the fan start up.

And I have not heard it without fan before, not sure if its normal.

Also, whether at minimum or maximum, when adjusting the knob, the fan's sound doesnt change.

I don't think that's right... Something seems to be wrong.

I can certainly hear my fan speed change as I turn the knob. Hmmmmm...

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

Apricotbeans
Thanks John, I wrote in to the manufacturer for advice. Once I get it, I will be back here to update!

Btw ginny, whenever is convenient for you, could you post for me the pictures you mentioned?
Thank you:}

JackH
Any possibility that the air flow knob setscrew is loose and the knob is just turning loose on the shaft of the potentiometer? I think it is just a small screw that secures it.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ginny
AB:

I will post the pictures in the morning for you.

I agree with Jack, maybe the set screw.

let us knpw.

ginny

Jump to Forum: