Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Grindmaster 500 Deal?
seedlings
Under what price point is this Grindmaster 500 a fantastic deal? Free is always my goal, but if I have to pay something for it, what do you say? I don't know it's value. I haven't looked at it yet, don't know how old it is, and haven't seen it operate. I'm looking at it today. Hoping there are no mice nests, bugs, and things of that sort...

I'm having trouble finding out if parts are available, but this may be because it has some model name other than "Grindmaster 500". Anyone know if it's a worthwhile, servicable model?

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Grindmaster500.jpg

Thanks, and reply FAST if you can!!!

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/02/2010 9:34 AM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JETROASTER
This is the grinder I use for 'regular' coffees. I use an older Hobart for flavored stuff. The Hobart is not very servicable. The Grindmaster parts support is good.

http://www.grindm...uynow.aspx

I've recieved parts within 24 hrs when needed, and actually spoke to humans when I called.

I love the Hobart, it truly cranks it out, but the Grindmaster support is excellent. Good Luck, Scott

John Despres
Hey, they even labeled the spout!

Shoot, I'd buy it just for the name... The Grindmaster 500.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

seedlings

freshbeans wrote:
This is the grinder I use for 'regular' coffees. I use an older Hobart for flavored stuff. The Hobart is not very servicable. The Grindmaster parts support is good.

http://www.grindm...uynow.aspx

I've recieved parts within 24 hrs when needed, and actually spoke to humans when I called.

I love the Hobart, it truly cranks it out, but the Grindmaster support is excellent. Good Luck, Scott

Does this grinder go by a different name, because "500" is not on Grindmaster's website for parts that you linked to.

How much is it worth?

CHAD

JETROASTER
It's actually a 505. I took a shot of the spec label if you need it.
It's value would be determined by all the usual variables, but the condition of the burrs is most important. Even in good shape , there's probably no need to spend over 75.00.
There are other options available.
Is this something you can fondle prior to purchase? -Scott

seedlings

freshbeans wrote:
It's actually a 505. I took a shot of the spec label if you need it.
It's value would be determined by all the usual variables, but the condition of the burrs is most important. Even in good shape , there's probably no need to spend over 75.00.
There are other options available.
Is this something you can fondle prior to purchase? -Scott

I plan to meet the person to look at it today and I'm bringing junk coffee to grind (which actually may hurt my case for a lower price --- advice?). I called grindmaster and he said no machine-specific parts are available, but said the burrs from an 810 will work, and they're $176. He also emailed me the manual!

I'm hoping to get it for (much) less than $75.

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 12/02/2010 10:43 AM

JETROASTER
I don't think the beans will hurt your case. Just make a sound of dissapointment as the grounds come out, and proclaim that it may still be 'good for parts'.
Beyond that, put on the 'Schmooze'. You 'Da Man!!
-Scott

Dan
It all gets down to how much life (at your usage level) is left in the burrs, if any.

ginny
CHAD,
did ya buy it.

Grindmaster has parts for tons of their older machines. I sold a 495 last year and checked with them and could get almost any parts I needed, I did not need any the machine happened to be a real beauty and clean, great burrs.

ginny

did ya buy it??Shock

seedlings
Well... the lady said someone she knows passed away yesterday so we're on hold until another day...

CHAD

dja
if the price is too steep for you Chad let me know what she wants and I might take it, e worth the drive to run up swap roasting knowledge I don't usually grind the amount that it would take to satisfiy a roaster that big but you never know.

The amount I can roast now, makes for some gift giving if I can get something that will handle the gift giving grind.

Well time to get a cup in my and go purchase some green for theHoliday Swap

David.

anyway let me know.
Edited by dja on 12/03/2010 9:37 AM
I pour Iron and roast Coffee BeansThumbsUp
If life seems normal your not going fast enough Mario Andrette

Randy G
I have one seen here:
http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee89.html
home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/grindmaster/grind_1.jpg
Plenty of internal pictures on the page as well.

These things are tough as nails. The motor in it looks like it comes from a swamp cooler blower. Bring some coffee with you and test it.

Be aware that shipping on one of these beasts can be more than the purchase price, so a local one that works at the right price can be a find.

I use mine when I grind a full Hottop batch for drip for friends who do not have grinders.
Edited by Randy G on 12/04/2010 12:34 PM

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

seedlings
He didn't take my offer. It works, filled with cobwebs and dust and rusty burrs. When I told him it won't operate until a bag triggers, and he saw it come on and grind coffee... I lost.

Dang.

CHAD

ginny
big mistake, don't ever tell a seller something he does not know, explain what a piece of crap it is and give him 25 bucks for taking it of his hands??

gRoflmao
Edited by ginny on 12/08/2010 8:41 AM

dja
that was a big mistake to make it grind when your trying to deal him down on the ole "it won't work scheme".

Heck I'll give him 25 buck without even seeing it, might be a nice coffee restore project cut some nice burrs out of some really hard bronze to put in it.

seedlings
"Nice guys finish...

CHAD

seedlings
... paying full price. I went back and gave him his $100, and it's mine. I'll be busting it open tonight.

CHAD

dja
you probably still got it at a good price, post some pictures of the innerds.

PeteH

seedlings wrote:
... paying full price. I went back and gave him his $100, and it's mine. I'll be busting it open tonight.

CHAD

You will like it Chad, I bought a used Grindmaster 850 about 2 years ago and use it every day. The manual that came with it said the life of the burrs is 20,000 pounds. I doubt yours is worn out either.
Pete

seedlings
Skeleton:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Grindmaster500Skeleton.jpg

Dirty burrs:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Grindmaster500BurrsDirty.jpg

Cleaned burrs:

i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/seedlings/Grindmaster500BurrsClean.jpg

Used it this morning. The outer shell doesn't look all that much better after cleaning because it has lots of dings and scratches... but it works fine for drip.

CHAD

allenb
This is one of my favorite grinders.

I rebuilt/refurbed many of these several years ago for the roastery I worked for. Very durable units and the burrs go forever. One thing to remember with the grindmaster burrs. Even when sharp from the factory they don't feel sharp. I knew people who bought new burrs thinking they were worn beyond repair only to find the new ones no different than the original.

These are the preferred grinders for french press coarse grind as they produce the least fines/powder than any other burr design I know of. We used a $25,000 roller mill for large runs and it produced more fines than the grindmaster. It runs circles around a Mahlkonig in this regard. I never had much luck trying to get near an espresso grind but that's not what they were designed for.

Great find

BTW, if you ever shear the shear disc, a penny works fine. Also, you'll probably want to lose the bag switch.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 12/08/2010 10:29 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Randy G

allenb wrote:...
BTW, if you ever shear the shear disc, a penny works fine. Also, you'll probably want to lose the bag switch.

When I opened mine I found that the shear had failed as designed, but some "Dumas" had welded the parts together, bypassing the need for the safety shear. I cut the weld off and used a piece of aluminum to replace the shear.

dja
Char if you will measure the shear tell me what you want one made out of, I'll cut you a couple extras to have on hand, on the grounds that if you find another ginder like this one that you ran on to, I get a chance at buying it.Grin
Edited by dja on 12/09/2010 7:32 AM

seedlings
David, if you see anything on craigslist kansas city, let me know!

Allen and Randy, thanks for the help! I think these burrs will work fine for the ounces of coffee I'll be running through it every day. I would like to bypass the bag switch. How do the switches work together (push button + bag switch)?

CHAD

Randy G
Mine does not have the manual switch - it is an older model than yours. It only has the bag switch.

Jump to Forum: