Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Espresso-Chip Ice Cream
jimoncaffeine
Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup cream (you can just substitute more whole milk if you like)
1 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
6 oz espresso (decaf, if you like)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Pour milk and cream into top half of a double boiler, assemble with the bottom half (filled with water, of course!) and put on a burner set to medium high. Wait for it to skin over a bit and add 1/2 the sugar and mix it in with a whisk.

In a large mixing bowl combine the egg yolks and half the sugar. Mix on high with an electric mixer until you get a lemon-colored, smooth mixture (about 2 to 3 minutes). Add 2 cups of the hot milk mixture to the eggs - slowly while beating with the mixture. (If you add it too fast you get scrambled-egg ice cream!) After the 2 cups of milk are incorporated pour the mixture, slowly into the remaining mixture in the double boiler while stirring, briskly, with a whisk. Once everything is in the double boiler bring up the temp to at least 160 degrees but not more than 190 degrees while stirring every couple of minutes. (I usually stop at about 185 degrees) See? Something useful to do with that steamed milk thermometer after you don't need it anymore! smile

Remove from heat. Separate the double boiler and pour the hot water out (I usually put it in the mixing bowl so I can re-use it for washing). Add cold water and ice cubes till the water level will just touch the bottom of the top of the double boiler when you put it back on. Re-assemble the double-boiler with the cold water and ice in the bottom and the hot ice-cream mixture still in the top. Add the 6oz espresso and mix in using the whisk.

Just before putting in your ice cream freezer, chop up the chocolate-chips until they are pretty fine and combine with the cooler-than-room-temp ice cream mixture. (If you don't chop them finely enough, they don't melt fast enough in your mouth and you can't taste any of the chocolate.)

Freeze per the normal instructions in your ice cream freezer.

Mike
MMMmmmm! Pure depravity! My kind of folks.

Mike
B)

jimoncaffeine
Mike,

Its an easy custard base to use with a lot of different flavors but hard on the wasteline if used too often! smile You could cut back to 4 eggs and 2% milk and get a lighter, in fat, ice milk but when you put leftovers in the deep freeze they are hard as bricks when you try to get at them later.

Jim

Jump to Forum: