Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Effective Temperature Control on Quest
rlb2444
I've only had my Quest for about 10 days and haven't roasted with it yet. I have done a few tests without beans and it appears to me that slowing down the temperature rise is going to be a lot more of a challenge than increasing it. With my Hottop I started around 10F before first crack turning up the fan or lowering the heat level...sometimes both to slow the roast down. Once it hit FC I tried to stretch the roast out to around 4 minutes to 2C or end of roast with a rise of 7-10F per minute. Perhaps it will be easier with beans to control the temperature of the Quest.

My question is what do you do to slow the temperature rise on the Quest? Do you use the fan only, do you open the chute or a combination of both? What works most effectively for you?

Thanks,
Bob
Faema Legend, Versalab, Robur-E, Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh, Hottop

seedlings
I don't know machine-specific info, but more beans always slow a roast. I recommend roasting a full load and then deciding how to change the profile.

You will also be interested in this thread:
http://www.home-b...15989.html

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 01/18/2011 8:43 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

rlb2444
Thanks Chad.....I may have a window of opportunity today to do a roast. 55F which is the first time in over a month. I agree that the load should make the roast more controllable. Thanks for the link. I had been following it. Some good information.
Faema Legend, Versalab, Robur-E, Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh, Hottop

Jump to Forum: