Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 - Overview and announcements
JimG
New aArtisan firmware available for download
A beta version of aArtisan 3.10 is now available for download from the project googlecode site here:
https://code.goog...c4-shield/

This beta release of the aArtisan sketch supports the PID control features that Marko has added to Artisan, as well as adding the ability to alter digital filtering at runtime.

I have been sitting on this for a bit, primarily due to a lack of adequate time to fully test the new features during actual roasts. So I am requesting users of Artisan and TC4 boards to give this a try and provide feedback. (FWIW, to my knowledge the new features are working correctly.)

New RoastLoggerTC4 firmware available for download
Version 3.10 of RoastLoggerTC4.ino is released and can be downloaded from the project googlecode site here:
https://code.goog...c4-shield/

This new release provides "bumpless" runtime changes to the preferred temperature units, C or F.

Jim

egon
I have been planning on upgrading my roasting methods and equipment. I've looked at both artisan and roastlogger, and am leaning towards Artisan, a Hottop, and the HTC+TC4C, although I'm still fuzzy on the various models and combinations, as well as what probes to use.

If building around at least a TC4C, what's the recommended set of options?

Primo Crepa
Wow! You guys are doing some great stuff here. For the past few years I?ve been working along similar lines. If I?d have known about the TC4 sooner I might have saved myself a lot of work.

Some time back I built a multi-thermocouple data logger to record inlet air temp, bean mass temp, exit air temp, ambient temp and humidity all logging to an SD card.

I use the SD card for permanent recording and playback along with a real-time LCD display for monitoring the actual roast.

My original goal was to log roast profiles in a commercial sized fluid bed roaster to both increase roast repeatability as well as to better scale things down to a sample size roaster for individual bean profiling and new roast development.

Just this weekend I was doing some research in anticipation of adding air flow and pressure sensing into the mix along with possibly moving to the MAX31850 Thermocouple-to-Digital converter chips for their 1-wire capability. While digging around the web looking at sensors I ran across the TC4 which led me right back to here where I?ve lurked for some time.

Now, I?m thinking I need to spend more time reading the forums to see what other gems I might find.

Keep up the awesome work!
Primo Crepa attached the following image:
logger.jpg

JimG

egon wrote:If building around at least a TC4C, what's the recommended set of options?

Hi, egon -

I am anxious to assist you, but I think I need a little more clarity regarding what you are asking?

In general, if you wish to monitor and log BT and ET on any roaster, you will need at least 2 thermocouples. Type K are preferred, but type J is supported as well. An enclosure for the electronics is nice, too.

You will also need software on the PC side of the USB cable. RoastLogger and Artisan are both excellent choices.

The preceding items would be enough to get up and running with most roasters.

If you wish to take the next step and add the ability to control your roaster, then additional hardware is required. For Hottop roasters, the HTRI boards are available (HTC board fits the TC4C board, while HTShield fits the TC4 shield).

Jim

JimG

Primo Crepa wrote:
Just this weekend I was doing some research in anticipation of adding air flow and pressure sensing into the mix along with possibly moving to the MAX31850 Thermocouple-to-Digital converter chips for their 1-wire capability. While digging around the web looking at sensors I ran across the TC4 which led me right back to here where I?ve lurked for some time.

I like the idea of incorporating the SD card. That is a nice feature!

Before settling on Bill's design for the TC4 system, I evaluated one of the MAX chips. I did not favor that option, however, because the ambient (cold junction) temperature sensor and the ADC are combined into a single package. There was a significant self-heating problem present on the sample I tested. This introduced a significant error into the final readings.

Bill's design separates the ambient temperature sensor from the ADC. This both eliminates any self heating issues related to the ADC part of the chip, as well as permitting the placement of the ambient sensor more closely to the cold junction of the TC wires.

Jim

Jump to Forum: