Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
a belated hello from chicago
yantacaw
hey everyone!

i've been signed up here since early april i believe but only taking to posting very recently. happy to be here. everyone seems well informed, open and kind. maybe it's just me but this does seem to stands in some contrast to what i've seen on at least one other coffee forum out there.

i use a gene cafe to roast my beans but still have a behmor. no longer have the old popper that got me started though i did pick up a stir crazy from the thrift store and have thought of monkeying with it a bit.

i have all manner of coffee brewing apparatuses.i haven't yet decided if i should be proud or embarrassed of this 'achievement'. i have no espresso maker save for a stovetop moka.

unlike most of you, i don't have the gifted mind of an engineer nor the foresight and patience such invention begs of its creator. i tend to look in some combo of awe and confusion at the work of others on display here.

a good brew to you!
Edited by yantacaw on 10/16/2011 4:10 PM

allenb
Howdy Yant,

Never be embarrassed about having lots of different kinds of brewing equipment! We all hold that as an honorable trait for homeroasters.

BTW, I'm having trouble finding Murgatroid on the map.:@

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Unta
IMO when it comes to all things coffee, more is bettah. Howdy from the north east, welcome.

Sean
Sean Harrington
educate.

yantacaw

allenb wrote:
Howdy Yant,

Never be embarrassed about having lots of different kinds of brewing equipment! We all hold that as an honorable trait for homeroasters.

Allen

gear is fun. no question there and it's simply remarkable what can be unearthed in junk shops and thrift stores. as more folks seek the convenience of the pods and such, more good gear ends up cast off. i can almost justify all of the stuff i have and i haven't gone off the deep end of impractical impulse buys just yet. to boot, can't say how many times i've watched those belgian balance siphon videos and wanted to pull the trigger but, really, this is the sort of thing one should see in person and i haven't...yet..

murgatroyd's curious etymology: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/heavens-to-murgatroyd.html
Edited by yantacaw on 10/30/2011 10:21 AM

allenb

yantacaw wrote:

allenb wrote:
Howdy Yant,

Allen

gear is fun. no question there and it's simply remarkable what can be unearthed in junk shops and thrift stores. as more folks seek the convenience of the pods and such, more good gear ends up cast off. i can almost justify all of the stuff i have and i haven't gone off the deep end of impractical impulse buys just yet. to boot, can't say how many times i've watched those belgian balance siphon videos and wanted to pull the trigger but, really, this is the sort of thing one should see in person and i haven't...yet..

murgatroyd's curious etymology: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/heavens-to-murgatroyd.html

I see murgatroyd has a very mysterious heritage.

You mention the Belgian siphon balance brewer. I did some research a while back as I was hopeful that it would do as well or better than a standard vacuum pot brewer but found a lot of folks not liking the short steeping time. Many could not get it to steep longer than a minute or so resulting in a very under extracted brew.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: