Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1 lb Easydrum Roaster
allenb
Yamhill wrote: " The internal radiant heat could be directed toward the drum, the bean mass, or a combination"

I'm glad you brought this up. I've read (quite a while ago) where someone who did not provide any barrier in the form of reflector or otherwise between radiant element and drum ended up overheating the drum resulting in tipping/scorching of the beans and a burnt-on residue on the drums surface. I guess if one did enough experimentation they could determine just the right amount of barrier or reflector to heat beans and drum with a proper ratio to avoid overheating the drum. As you mentioned, a means of easily varying the amount of barrier without having to disassemble the roaster would be nice.

To be safe I used a reflector covering the back side of all of the radiant elements but I also knew I needed something underneath the drum to heat the air entering the roaster which the tubular is able to accomplish while heating the drum at the same time.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 02/10/2012 3:47 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
You were actually stating to be able to mechanically aim the element to cover different ratios of beans versus drum which would be better and probably easier than trying to vary the amount of barrier. My mistake.

I'll try and post some photos of my radiant setup later today for mounting possibilities.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

yamhill

allenb wrote:
You were actually stating to be able to mechanically aim the element to cover different ratios of beans versus drum which would be better and probably easier than trying to vary the amount of barrier. My mistake.

I'll try and post some photos of my radiant setup later today for mounting possibilities.

Allen

Allen,

I look forward to seeing the added detail. Thanks for engaging in this discussion. I'm learning a lot and it's helping me think through my next roaster - which is a very happy thing.

I'm intrigued by the notion of a single internal heat source providing both the direct radiant heat on the beans and the conductive heat from the drum. I can see options for orientation and shielding control, electronic power consumption control, and position control that could potentially replicate the effects of external drum heat. Now I have to figure how to make it simple.

John

John Despres
This is one rockin' machine!!!
The things I miss when work takes control of my live...

Very nice, Allen!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

allenb

yamhill wrote:

allenb wrote:

Allen

Allen,

I look forward to seeing the added detail. Thanks for engaging in this discussion. I'm learning a lot and it's helping me think through my next roaster - which is a very happy thing.

I'm intrigued by the notion of a single internal heat source providing both the direct radiant heat on the beans and the conductive heat from the drum. I can see options for orientation and shielding control, electronic power consumption control, and position control that could potentially replicate the effects of external drum heat. Now I have to figure how to make it simple.

John

My apology, I just remembered that the guy that cooked stuff onto the inside of the drum due to inside the drum radiant elements was running with no controls and had hit some dark roasts which as you know take on radiant heat much more effectively than lighter colors. Once the drum inside walls were blackened they absorbed infrared much more and really cooked things.

I'm sure you would be fine with no baffle/reflector as long as you were able to control power level.

Here's various photos from today with it apart.
allenb attached the following image:
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012001.jpg

Edited by allenb on 02/10/2012 8:08 PM

allenb
Next
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012002.jpg

allenb
Another
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012003.jpg

allenb
Next
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012004.jpg

allenb
Next
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012005.jpg

allenb
Next
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012006.jpg

allenb
Next
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012007.jpg

allenb
Next
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012008.jpg

allenb
Last
1-1lb_drum2-10-2012009.jpg

allenb

John Despres wrote:
This is one rockin' machine!!!
The things I miss when work takes control of my live...

Very nice, Allen!

John

Thanks John, it's been a fun project and hopefully with the changes it will be easier to operate and put out some great coffee.

You're going to have to take a vacation sometime soon and finish your drum roaster. You were near the finish line if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Allen

sabalism
Awesome work. What kind of screws are those in the last couple shots? Thanks, J

allenb

sabalism wrote:
Awesome work. What kind of screws are those in the last couple shots? Thanks, J

Thanks J, let me know which screws you're looking at.

Allen

John Despres

allenb wrote:
Thanks John, it's been a fun project and hopefully with the changes it will be easier to operate and put out some great coffee.

You're going to have to take a vacation sometime soon and finish your drum roaster. You were near the finish line if I remember correctly.

Cheers, Allen

You are correct, sir! I actually had it running and then lost free time to continue and it's still sits at the back of the Playground on a bench awaiting further attention.

However, you're project has given me inspiration and an idea or two. Maybe I'll get back to it soon now.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

allenb
Can't wait to see it in operation when you've got it where you want (plus minute by minute shots of mods/changes in progress).

Allen

allenb
Made some additions to the Easydrum roaster over the last couple of months:

-Added an air plenum with blower and chaff collector to the side of the base
-Added a fill funnel to the front with lid and side port exhaust tube connecting to plenum
-Constructed a damper allowing variable exhaust from drum and full cfm from cooling tray at end of roast.
-Added feet to base

Today I did the first roast after mod's and went great! Roasted 12 oz of a high grown Peruvian to first snips of C2 and tasted great brewing right out of the roaster.

Settings:
-Under drum heat set at 850 watts for duration of roast
-Radiant in-drum heat varied from 600 watts to as high as 1000 watts throughout roast.
-Control = manual with RoR meter (TC4) display. 5 min to 300F, 5 min to 1C, 3.5 min to first outliers of 2C.

In the next few posts I'll post some videos showing the mods.

Allen

Edited by allenb on 06/01/2012 9:59 PM

allenb
2nd Video

allenb
3rd Video

allenb
4th Video

allenb
5th Video

allenb
6th Video

JETROASTER
woohoo

Sounds like you still had a little power left over? Very nice!-Scott

Jump to Forum: