Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
1 lb Easydrum Roaster
allenb
Yes, a couple hundred underneath and around 400 radiant. We'll see how much of that we'll need for 16 oz batch. I'm hoping it will pull it off.

I was worried with the blower attached I might not be able to hear the pops but it was loud and clear for both first and the whisper ticks of 2C outliers.

One word of caution to anyone constructing a roaster using wood as I did for the base. If any sparks or tiny embers happen to hit the wood or MDF especially with an air stream across it you have the potential for a blast furnace real quick or worse, smoldering overnight and campfire in your shop while you're at work.

I used wood to try it out and will do sheet metal when I get ambitious but in the meantime I'm going to be very cautious. BBQ grill

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
Oh, I almost forgot to thank you Scott for the nice aluminum tubes you sent me! That's part of one of them hooked to the fill funnel.

Cheers

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Lylabrown
Great Work! The mechanism for dumping the beans is brilliant. Looking at the front face you'd never think that the whole thing slides out then tips forward. Dang. That must've been a challenge to engineer.

Thanks for posting videos. Its great to see the mechanics in motion.

Russ

allenb

Lylabrown wrote:

Great Work! The mechanism for dumping the beans is brilliant. Looking at the front face you'd never think that the whole thing slides out then tips forward. Dang. That must've been a challenge to engineer.

Thanks for posting videos. Its great to see the mechanics in motion.

Russ

Thanks for the complement Russ. Actually, the tilting with sliding front was much easier than I imagined it would be. The hard part was finding compression springs that were low enough tension and the right length to close tight enough but not cause the roaster to slide forward when dumping.

I'll have to say, the engineering you've put into your 3 barrel beauty is to be commended! Looking forward to seeing live roasting footage!

Allen

John Despres
One word. WOW!!!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

coffeeroastersclub

allenb wrote:

3rd Video

Allen, very ingenious pre-exhaust motor chaff collector.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

seedlings
INNOVATION abounds!
woohoo

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb
I'm getting close to wrapping up the conversion of my Easydrum 1 lb drum roaster from electric to gas (propane).

The conversion included a Kelly Pneumatics mini proportional solenoid valve http://www.kpiweb...s-MPV.html controlled by a TC4C with Roastlogger with a driver circuit in between designed by Stan (rustic_roaster). Thanks Stan! Your design worked perfectly with no tweaks.

Principle of operation is as follows:

The TC4C's output normally intended for driving an SSR (pulsed 5 vdc on/off is sent to the driver board which outputs a higher and lower user adjustable voltage to the proportional solenoid giving you a high-state and low-state gas output every time the TC4C cycles on/off. You could compare the operation to how a TC4C controls an electric element via SSR but instead of on/off we're cycling the burner between low fire and high fire so the burner doesn't need to be re-lit during each on-cycle.

Once you've set your low and high burner output levels via two, front panel accessible variable resistors, then the TC4C will vary the duty cycle (% of time at high fire versus low fire) as needed to maintain setpoint while in PID mode or to hold % output when in manual mode in Roastlogger.

The burner is just 1/2" iron pipe with hacksaw slots every 1/2" or so throughout the flame length. The orifice/venturi is from an old Bernzomatic soldering torch and is mounted to the rear of the roaster. (photos to come soon).

Other parts of the conversion will follow soon as well with photos.

Here's a video of the burner in action:

tiopaeng
WOW! that's really a great design, combination chaff collector and bean cooler. INGENIOUS!

Tiopaeng

Ringo
I will second WOW, that looks really nice. Build Me One! I really like the burner off to the side I think it will roast great like that. It takes much more work to build with a small footprint yours looks great.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Dan
Now THAT's how to control a gas burner!
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

JETROASTER
Nice stuff Allen!

snwcmpr
That's nice Allen. You do good work.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

tamarian
Awesome, can't wait to see more! Where's that Kelly valve?
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

allenb
Wow, huge thanks for all the attaboys! This has been a super fun and very rewarding project. It's nice to see a design idea come together and work without much tweaking and re-doing over and over.

Tamarian, I'll try and shoot the rear end tonight (the roasters) and show the valve, burner and piping arrangement.

Allen

allenb
Ok, here's the Easydrum's rear-end as promised.

I've got two types of 1/8" OD tubing going on here. One is aluminum going from the T fitting on the right side of the Kelly valve which travels into the roaster base and connects to the pressure gauge and nylon tubing connecting the bulkhead fitting with (push fit) fitting to the valves inlet and of course the nylon going from the top end of the T fitting to the rear of the burner.

All connectors are 1/8" OD tube (push fit) type fittings except for one 1/8" tube compression adapter for hooking up to the pressure gauge.

A note about the burner. The scavenged burner was from a two-piece Bernzomatic torch where you have a regulator/valve with hose connecting to a hand-held torch. This allowed me to disconnect the hose and fitting from the torch end and screw in a 1/16" npt to 1/8 tube connector. The brass turbo mixer portion just ahead of the orifice had been snapped off when someone used it as a prybar and is how it happened to come to me. The diameter of the torch just happened to be an exact fit for sliding into a copper sweat adapter which the 1/2" pipe threaded into. I cut slots into the copper where the burner goes and used a hose clamp to secure it in the fitting. I ended up taping off three of the 4 air inlet holes in the burner to get the mix rich enough.

Allen

tamarian
Beautiful rear-end beach

Ringo
I have to say the roaster is great and the videos are great but classical music does not fit when you are building a machine with steel and fire. Turn on some AC DC and honor this fine machine. Would you see classical music at a Harley build? Grin Just so its clear this is a joke.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

John Despres
I'm upgrading my WOW to a SA-WEET!!!

Very nice, very nice. Can I have it?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

JackH
Allen, you did a fine job on that roaster!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
Thanks All again for all the praise! And even Ringo even though he isn't a fan of accompanying my roaster with classical music. Just for that I'm going to include polka music with very loud tubas in my next Hollywood production! woohoo

Allen

rustic_roaster
Pretty cool videos of your conversion. The sound of the high flame setting is pretty impressive, surprised me that the supply line was so small.

allenb
Sorry it took so long to shoot a video of my 1 lb gas fired drum since it's been completed. Here's a couple of short vids.

allenb
2nd video

tamarian
Beautiful. I especially like the analog front panel readouts, pressure and temp.

You are sucking air via the front loading hopper and controlling the airflow directly via controlling the fan speed?

Jump to Forum: