Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bread Maker Recommendations For Roasting Beans
gmtman
I am looking for a bread maker to buy (new or used) that I won't have to make any alterations to before I start roasting beans along with a heat gun. Any recommendations out there from you experts in this type of roasting?

jkoll42
I initially used my BM unmodified. It was a Sunbeam model that was stocked at Walmart. Just use the dough cycle and you will be ok.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

seedlings
The cheapest one you can find at a thrift store that still has the hopper / bin / bucket, powers on, and spins the paddle (or shaft if there is no paddle).

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

gmtman
Was the Sunbeam model at Walmart a recent one or an older one? A model number would help if you have it....thanks.

jkoll42
It looks like it was a Sunbeam 5891. If you want to use a BM unmodified, the biggest thing is that it has a dough cycle that will agitate for a good 20 minutes without stopping.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

gmtman
I thought it might be the 5891 model as I have read about that one on other threads. The only concern I had read is possibly about the teflon coating on the pan and the paddle inside the machine and vapors it may give off while roasting takes place...have you heard anything about this?

jkoll42
Personally I would prefer for the teflon not to be there, but I think in general it is a low risk. Teflon begins to offgas at 446F although 550-650 seems like where it starts to get bad. Unless you are roasting (too) dark the bean temp will not get this high, and the temperature on the side of the vessel is lower than this as it is exposed to unheated air on one side. Usually you roast in a ventilated area which further lessens risk.

If you have a prized parrot, however, I would probably not roast with the cage next to the roaster just to be safe smile

FYI - I am not a scientist so feel free to ignore the above

-Jon

seedlings

jkoll42 wrote:
Personally I would prefer for the teflon not to be there, but I think in general it is a low risk. Teflon begins to offgas at 446F although 550-650 seems like where it starts to get bad. Unless you are roasting (too) dark the bean temp will not get this high, and the temperature on the side of the vessel is lower than this as it is exposed to unheated air on one side. Usually you roast in a ventilated area which further lessens risk.

If you have a prized parrot, however, I would probably not roast with the cage next to the roaster just to be safe smile

FYI - I am not a scientist so feel free to ignore the above

I appreciate the wise note of caution, and here is my valuable, yet free advice. It is significantly more dangerous to drive in a car on the same roads as the general public - by orders of magnitude of magnitude (not a typo smile ). Unless I were worried about bed bugs, the bird flu, or had a fear of long hallways, the teflon is a non-risk.
:BigHug:
CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

chapcharlie
I am looking for the same things and the comments helped me a lot. Thanks, everyone.

Jump to Forum: