Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 with RoastLogger
JackH

leo-bsb wrote:

I didn't know that the shield was on ebay.
I tried to buy the TC4C from Jim and it was a no go.

Now the shield for $159.00???? That is another good reason to adapt the code for a more pure arduino version.

The price is for an fully assembled and tested shield with the "official" Arduino board, programmed. Not the shield kit. The TC4C complete was $89.

I think if he had to buy small quantities of parts and had the boards made at minimum quantity of 100, it would be tough to keep the costs down. Just guessing here.

Leo-bsb, I think you should keep going on with your idea, it looks good.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

leo-bsb
That is why I am complaining. With the Base Arduino we will spend a lot less for the basic same result.
The $159.00 price tag, even with a Arduino Uno, is very expensive IMHO. You still need a LCD with i2c and the board with buttons to achieve the same functionality that we had with the TC4C with LCD.

Dan
There is nothing wrong with the stock Arduino. The bug-a-boo here is our need for monitoring temperatures. Technically, it is converting the thermocouple's analog output into a digital input for the Arduino. This is the same problem we'd have with any other microcontroller including PIC and PLC.

Personally, I'd just use the stock Arduino and the Max31855 board leo-bsb posted. Both are inexpensive, sustainable, over the counter, and not single-source.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

leo-bsb

Dan wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the stock Arduino. The bug-a-boo here is our need for monitoring temperatures. Technically, it is converting the thermocouple's analog output into a digital input for the Arduino. This is the same problem we'd have with any other microcontroller including PIC and PLC.

Personally, I'd just use the stock Arduino and the Max31855 board leo-bsb posted. Both are inexpensive, sustainable, over the counter, and not single-source.

It is already working, I just need some help cleaning the code from the unused TC4C parts that are not present or necessary with the arduino Uno + 31855

Dan
Super! My goal in originally introducing the Arduino board for roaster control was to make a simple, low-cost controller that anyone could assemble. I think your solution is the best so far.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

GUILHERME T
Here in Brazil, we are working hard to accomplish the idea of LEO. The sketch is already working with the roastlogger. We changed the sketch a little, adding the K Thermocouple Shield, altering some pins in the sketch and the PWM16 library to adapt it to new Solid State Relays out (heater and fan), and to fix a glitch with the LCD (actually, the LCD connections are parallel - As Leo said, we pretend to change it to a IC2 LCD).

I need help with the buttom's interface. Despite the arduino version of TC4C is working with the hoastlogger, it don't work without a connection with a computer, at least, you can't change any parameters with the buttons.

If anyone can help, here is the actual sketch - tested and working with the roastlogger:

https://docs.goog...sp=sharing

Thanks in advance,

Guilherme.
Edited by JackH on 09/17/2013 5:56 PM

JackH

leo-bsb wrote:

Max31855 + thermocouple.
I bought other but this one will work:
http://www.ebay.c...4d1255d0dc

Leo-bsb,
Would you need two of those MAX6675's to have two thermocouple channels?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

leo-bsb

JackH wrote:

leo-bsb wrote:

Max31855 + thermocouple.
I bought other but this one will work:
http://www.ebay.c...4d1255d0dc

Leo-bsb,
Would you need two of those MAX6675's to have two thermocouple channels?

yes. I think there's a max31855 version that has two inputs.
We can buy the chip only and a protoboard or the shield ready to use.

bvwelch
Nice project. Hope the new max chip works reliably -- some coffee folks had grief with temperature stability with the older max chip.

Also, when I did my early prototyping, I used this little breakout board -- it is available from a couple different sources:

http://moderndevi...alog-plug/

I also used their LCD board too in the early days.

leo-bsb
Hi all,

here is the first beta version for the Roastlogger Uno DX.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3E-0fZ2UI3bMVlybXRHSGt3c3c/edit?usp=sharing

We are using the MAX31855 daughter board, LCD with buttons from DX.com and an Arduino Uno or similar.

Pins are:

D4,5,6,7,8,9 LCD
A0 buttons
D11,12,13. Max31855
D3 SSR Heater

We need to finish the sketch to add a Fan to PIN D10.
You may also use a bluetooth board with D0 and D1.

we need beta testers and to clean up the unused TC4C commands (most are tagged with a #) and libraries that are not being used. We are not using the PWM16, EEProm, lcd and TC4C specific ones.

Dan
I look forward to the debugged code. This may be the solution I'm looking for.

fg1972
Hi,
I'm fairly new to Arduino and have only done some very simple projects in the past.
I'm in the process of setting up a new roaster and have been experimenting with the TC4 and RoastLogger.
By default, output1 drives the heater and I/O3 drives the fan which is all good.

I'd like to switch on a relay at the start of the roast switch off at the end of the roast.
Can I use output2 to drive this relay?
If so, do I need to insert extra lines of code in the RoastLoggerTC4.ino file or is it configurable via the front end software?

Regards.
FG

JackH
The OT2 output is the same as OT1. It is designed to control a Solid state relay (SSR). Open collector 5V and 100ma max on these outputs.

Version 2.0a of the RoastLogger Arduino sketch uses OT1 for Heater and I/03 for the fan as defaults. The User.h file only allows you to change the PWM values of these ports.

I am not sure if the roastLogger application can control OT2. I will take a look and see.

Jack

MaKoMo
The Artisan/aArtisan combo allows you to control also OT2 via custom button and slider definitions. Check the Artisan blog.

fg1972
JackH, I've already had a look at User.h where I have changed the default PWM frequency to OT1.

MaKoMo, I'm going to try sticking with RoastLogger for the moment but is good to know Artisan can do it.

Just thinking about it, I don't really need to control OT2 in the software via button or slider, I am thinking to just put the appropriate code in one of the files so the output is activated after the Load beans stage and deactivated when the roast is ended.

fg1972
Looking at the RoastLogger sketch global variables, it looks like output2 is not defined.
PWM16 output1; // 16-bit timer for SSR output on Ot1 and Ot2
PWM_IO3 io3; // 8-bit timer for fan control on IO3

I presume one could define output2 to be a standard on/off output as opposed to a PWM type output.

One thing I'm not sure is if some code could be executed in the sketch to turn on OT2 when the program is at the "Load Beans" stage then turn off OT2 at the "Eject Beans" stage.

fg1972
Not much luck getting RoastLogger to switch on/off OT2 so I downloaded Artisan today to have a poke around. I found Artisan not as ready to go out of the box like RoastLogger but very quickly found Artisan much more flexible with custom stuff. I've created a custom button to turn on OT2 and another to turn it off. Then I've created an alarm that automatically triggers the on button at the start of the roast and another triggering the off button at the end of the roast. Perfect.

MaKoMo

fg1972 wrote:

Not much luck getting RoastLogger to switch on/off OT2 so I downloaded Artisan today to have a poke around. I found Artisan not as ready to go out of the box like RoastLogger but very quickly found Artisan much more flexible with custom stuff. I've created a custom button to turn on OT2 and another to turn it off. Then I've created an alarm that automatically triggers the on button at the start of the roast and another triggering the off button at the end of the roast. Perfect.

Yep. Artisan is targeting the experimental guys like you. It is less, and never will be, a tool for production (although I know a list of people that roasts tons of coffee with it).

RAG
Did the new version .7 swap the inputs TC1,TC2? I tried using the software to swap then in the device menu but I suppose that just sends a command to the tc4 to swap output value return order and I haven't implemented that yet as I saw no effect in changing the Artisan values? Is this correct?

MaKoMo

RAG wrote:

Did the new version .7 swap the inputs TC1,TC2? I tried using the software to swap then in the device menu but I suppose that just sends a command to the tc4 to swap output value return order and I haven't implemented that yet as I saw no effect in changing the Artisan values? Is this correct?

No. There is no change from v0.6 to v0.7 on TC order. Yep you can change the assignment in the device dialog (just for the TC4). There is also an option to swap ET<->BT in the dialog Tools>>Extras>>HUD-tab.

RAG

MaKoMo wrote:

RAG wrote:

Did the new version .7 swap the inputs TC1,TC2?...

No. There is no change from v0.6 to v0.7 on TC order. Yep you can change the assignment in the device dialog (just for the TC4). There is also an option to swap ET<->BT in the dialog Tools>>Extras>>HUD-tab.

DOH! Bingo... that's what I get for monkey see monkey do. Was using the new guide from Barrie Fairley (figure 9).

Thanks for the help.

fg1972
Anyone successfully using the PID functionality?
I've just had a bit of a play around with it and I don't know what I'm doing. I believe there is no official documentation and was wondering if anyone has any notes or guide that can help me understand how to configure it.
Its Espresso, not Short Black

fg1972
A follow up to my last post in case anyone is interested in the PID features.

After a bit of trial and error, I've managed to tune the PID to my roaster and have now done several successful roasts.

I'm extremely pleased with the PID functionality.
Roast repeatability is just fantastic even with different ambient temperatures.
I'm driving the heater fully automatically via a setpoint table and controlling the fan via the actions.

All in all, very happy with this configuration, I'll put up some screenshots.
Kudos to the developers of RoastLogger.

JackH
Glad to hear it is working. I have never tried the PID function in RoastLogger. There is a manual on the RoastLogger site you can download that covers all the features.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

fg1972
Hi Jack,
The official manual covers everything but the PID features.
The only documentation I could find is on this page
http://roastlogge...r/pid.html
which is helpful but also a bit vague and not entirely 100% correct.
Once I put up some screen shots of my settings, hopefully this will help any new players like myself to get started.
Edited by JackH on 06/11/2016 2:12 PM

Jump to Forum: