Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4 with RoastLogger
Dan
I look forward to the debugged code. This may be the solution I'm looking for.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

fg1972
Hi,
I'm fairly new to Arduino and have only done some very simple projects in the past.
I'm in the process of setting up a new roaster and have been experimenting with the TC4 and RoastLogger.
By default, output1 drives the heater and I/O3 drives the fan which is all good.

I'd like to switch on a relay at the start of the roast switch off at the end of the roast.
Can I use output2 to drive this relay?
If so, do I need to insert extra lines of code in the RoastLoggerTC4.ino file or is it configurable via the front end software?

Regards.
FG

JackH
The OT2 output is the same as OT1. It is designed to control a Solid state relay (SSR). Open collector 5V and 100ma max on these outputs.

Version 2.0a of the RoastLogger Arduino sketch uses OT1 for Heater and I/03 for the fan as defaults. The User.h file only allows you to change the PWM values of these ports.

I am not sure if the roastLogger application can control OT2. I will take a look and see.

Jack

MaKoMo
The Artisan/aArtisan combo allows you to control also OT2 via custom button and slider definitions. Check the Artisan blog.

fg1972
JackH, I've already had a look at User.h where I have changed the default PWM frequency to OT1.

MaKoMo, I'm going to try sticking with RoastLogger for the moment but is good to know Artisan can do it.

Just thinking about it, I don't really need to control OT2 in the software via button or slider, I am thinking to just put the appropriate code in one of the files so the output is activated after the Load beans stage and deactivated when the roast is ended.

fg1972
Looking at the RoastLogger sketch global variables, it looks like output2 is not defined.
PWM16 output1; // 16-bit timer for SSR output on Ot1 and Ot2
PWM_IO3 io3; // 8-bit timer for fan control on IO3

I presume one could define output2 to be a standard on/off output as opposed to a PWM type output.

One thing I'm not sure is if some code could be executed in the sketch to turn on OT2 when the program is at the "Load Beans" stage then turn off OT2 at the "Eject Beans" stage.

fg1972
Not much luck getting RoastLogger to switch on/off OT2 so I downloaded Artisan today to have a poke around. I found Artisan not as ready to go out of the box like RoastLogger but very quickly found Artisan much more flexible with custom stuff. I've created a custom button to turn on OT2 and another to turn it off. Then I've created an alarm that automatically triggers the on button at the start of the roast and another triggering the off button at the end of the roast. Perfect.

MaKoMo

fg1972 wrote:

Not much luck getting RoastLogger to switch on/off OT2 so I downloaded Artisan today to have a poke around. I found Artisan not as ready to go out of the box like RoastLogger but very quickly found Artisan much more flexible with custom stuff. I've created a custom button to turn on OT2 and another to turn it off. Then I've created an alarm that automatically triggers the on button at the start of the roast and another triggering the off button at the end of the roast. Perfect.

Yep. Artisan is targeting the experimental guys like you. It is less, and never will be, a tool for production (although I know a list of people that roasts tons of coffee with it).

RAG
Did the new version .7 swap the inputs TC1,TC2? I tried using the software to swap then in the device menu but I suppose that just sends a command to the tc4 to swap output value return order and I haven't implemented that yet as I saw no effect in changing the Artisan values? Is this correct?

MaKoMo

RAG wrote:

Did the new version .7 swap the inputs TC1,TC2? I tried using the software to swap then in the device menu but I suppose that just sends a command to the tc4 to swap output value return order and I haven't implemented that yet as I saw no effect in changing the Artisan values? Is this correct?

No. There is no change from v0.6 to v0.7 on TC order. Yep you can change the assignment in the device dialog (just for the TC4). There is also an option to swap ET<->BT in the dialog Tools>>Extras>>HUD-tab.

RAG

MaKoMo wrote:

RAG wrote:

Did the new version .7 swap the inputs TC1,TC2?...

No. There is no change from v0.6 to v0.7 on TC order. Yep you can change the assignment in the device dialog (just for the TC4). There is also an option to swap ET<->BT in the dialog Tools>>Extras>>HUD-tab.

DOH! Bingo... that's what I get for monkey see monkey do. Was using the new guide from Barrie Fairley (figure 9).

Thanks for the help.

fg1972
Anyone successfully using the PID functionality?
I've just had a bit of a play around with it and I don't know what I'm doing. I believe there is no official documentation and was wondering if anyone has any notes or guide that can help me understand how to configure it.
Its Espresso, not Short Black

fg1972
A follow up to my last post in case anyone is interested in the PID features.

After a bit of trial and error, I've managed to tune the PID to my roaster and have now done several successful roasts.

I'm extremely pleased with the PID functionality.
Roast repeatability is just fantastic even with different ambient temperatures.
I'm driving the heater fully automatically via a setpoint table and controlling the fan via the actions.

All in all, very happy with this configuration, I'll put up some screenshots.
Kudos to the developers of RoastLogger.

JackH
Glad to hear it is working. I have never tried the PID function in RoastLogger. There is a manual on the RoastLogger site you can download that covers all the features.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

fg1972
Hi Jack,
The official manual covers everything but the PID features.
The only documentation I could find is on this page
http://roastlogge...r/pid.html
which is helpful but also a bit vague and not entirely 100% correct.
Once I put up some screen shots of my settings, hopefully this will help any new players like myself to get started.
Edited by JackH on 06/11/2016 2:12 PM

JackH
I don't know if you saw this page:

http://roastlogge...r/pid.html

It looks like you already figured it out. The RoastLogger PID function has been experimental since about V1.7.
Edited by JackH on 06/11/2016 2:13 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
I located an email from several months ago where Tom (Greenbean) had explained pretty well how the PID setup works and how to enter times/temps. I emailed you a copy of this. Let me know if it's of any value in better understanding the features and how to use it. If it helps, we can put it into a PDF or Excel doc and post it as an attachment for others to benefit from it.

Allen
Edited by JackH on 06/11/2016 2:13 PM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Airhan
I've fiddled with Roastlogger's PID and found it fairly straightforward. I've used it once to get a perfect roast, and other times have had problems with my roaster, but I know the PID works well.

I autotuned it at 330F and 390F(durring FC) and averaged the results... it seems to work alright.
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

fg1972

allenb wrote:

I located an email from several months ago where Tom (Greenbean) had explained pretty well how the PID setup works and how to enter times/temps. I emailed you a copy of this. Let me know if it's of any value in better understanding the features and how to use it. If it helps, we can put it into a PDF or Excel doc and post it as an attachment for others to benefit from it.

Allen

Thanks Allen,

The explanation you sent me is very clear, although I had already worked it out after lots of fiddling.
I can definitely see value in putting it into a document as a reference for others wanting to use the PID features.

The information which is on the internet via my previous link and Tom's (Greenbean) explanation says the setpoint table allows 30 segments (rows in table) but I'm only seeing 20.
30 segments would be nice to have as I tend to have a segment for each minute of the roast and just about using up all 20 at the moment.

Some screenshots of my configuration as promised that may be useful to others.

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93423089/PID.png

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93423089/actions.png

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93423089/profile.png
Edited by JackH on 06/11/2016 2:14 PM

allenb
Thanks for the screen shots. I'll put the help text into a doc and post it here and in the downloads section.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb

Airhan wrote:

I've fiddled with Roastlogger's PID and found it fairly straightforward. I've used it once to get a perfect roast, and other times have had problems with my roaster, but I know the PID works well.

I autotuned it at 330F and 390F(durring FC) and averaged the results... it seems to work alright.

Aaron,

Can you add detail as to how the autotune went? Did it go through the usual method of heating past setpoint and then spend time below setpoint like We've seen PID ramp soak controllers do?

After autotuning, how did the roast go in holding to setpoint following a ramp segment?

Allen

Airhan

allenb wrote:

Aaron,

Can you add detail as to how the autotune went? Did it go through the usual method of heating past setpoint and then spend time below setpoint like We've seen PID ramp soak controllers do?

After autotuning, how did the roast go in holding to setpoint following a ramp segment?

Allen

Allen,
I haven't used a PID in this manner before so I didn't due any testing, I will do that ASAP and get some screenshots.
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

allenb
Hey, no rush. I was just curious how the autotune did on a non-manufactured control. This is exciting stuff! Look forward to your results.

Allen

tamarian

allenb wrote:
I was just curious how the autotune did on a non-manufactured control. This is exciting stuff! Look forward to your results.

Absolutely exciting! While satisfied with my Fuji, I can see a lot of options and advantages of having access to tinker with a PID, or even build it from scratch (Arduino). Things I'd like to do include different PID settings for each roast stage, setting rules to enforce no overshoot, setting a button for each desired roast profile ramp/soak sequence. Not to mention to cost savings in hardware!
Wa'il. 1 Kg PID'ed gas-fired fluid bed roaster, GS/3MPS, K10F

allenb
I just received a reply from Tom (Greenbean) with permission to publish the tips/how to he emailed me several months ago for the Roastlogger PID ramp segments.

He also mentioned that he would appreciate it if any of us came up with additions to add to the instructions on using the PID to shoot them to him since he is now considering making the PID operation a permanent part of Roastlogger and not just "experimental". I think he'll be assembling a full set of instructions for it not too far down the road.

I'll put the tips he gave me into a PDF and post it this weekend.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 01/26/2014 7:49 PM

Jump to Forum: