Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rainfrog's Roastmaster Software
Barrie

fauzi wrote:

Barrie wrote:

fauzi wrote:

2) And this will answer John's query above also: Yes, you can enter profiles into the app. You can have numerous Roasters, each of which can have numerous profiles, and when you start the roast, you can have the app prompt you to change the relevant temps at the appropriate times.

Fauzi, that feature of having the app prompt you when you reach a profile step is something I have been trying to implement, so far without success. Can you have more than one alarm time?

Barrie,

Ii believe that's a very basic part of the app, if I've understood you correctly.

If you edit the Roaster info, there's a section on Profiles. Go into it and either "add new profile" or edit that page... I do t have the app in front of me so I don't know what the option is. At that point, you will e prompted to enter the various nodes in your profile. Ie, the temp you want to set an the time at which that temp starts. You can add as many nodes as you like. They will be shown as red in the roasting gauge.

So if you roast, selecting that toaster with the profile tht you have just entered, you will be prompted at each temp change.

Hope this helps.

-Fauzi

Thank you, Fauzi. I have roasts entered successfully and have only just learned how to put the profiles there (obvious once you know). I don't think I have run a roast with a profile yet, so next time, I will start my roast with a profile in place and see what happens.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Dan
The shortcoming of this software is the same I made when this was firs mentioned a year or two ago. From what I can tell, this is a roast MONITOR device, not a roast CONTROLLER.

As it sits, it is a universal roasting monitor. However, to be fair, to make it a universal roasting controller would take a LOT of work since different roasters have many variables and few in common. Just think about a few of the variables: 220V or 120? What amperage? Is it gas and what type of control valve? Does it use a blower, if so is it on/off or variable speed? What algorithms drive those variables.

That's a lot to contend with. However, I wonder if this app could have a simple feedback output. Even if it was just a "call for heat." The roaster gauge knows if the process temperature is above or below the set point. If this difference could be outputted, then a home-built controller could use this in place of the typical PID/SSR. No?

ginny
Hey Dan, lets see what you have done in this arena.

ginny

Dan
I don't have any software-heavy roasting controllers to show, at least not right now. If anything, I've been moving away from independent control and to full manual, like my flame roaster. However, I see the advantage of the consistency of having multiple profile roaster control just like everyone else. f the Roastmaster software were to have an output added, I think coupling it with an Arduino, smart relay, PIC, or PLC would be a good place to start. The major stumbling block for Roastmaster development for me is that it doesn't work on PCs.

ginny
Dan:

buy a Mac...:P

Dan
Wouldn't help, the Roastmaster still doesn't have an output. Do Macs have I/O cards?

Barrie

Dan wrote:

Wouldn't help, the Roastmaster still doesn't have an output. Do Macs have I/O cards?

Dan, There is a whole bunch of us who are just trying to learn how to use our roasters better. Something like Roastmaster can have great advantages at the simplest level. For example, this morning I was drinking a cup of espresso that I had just brewed and thought how it tasted much better than I had thought at first. I could not remember how many days ago I had roasted the beans, flipped on Roastmaster on the iPad, and there was the date. This particular batch of beans had improved from the second day after roasting to the fifth. Not remarkable in the great scheme of things, but an example of the simple needs of simple folk.
Servo systems are fine but that is beyond the needs of most of the the peasants? B) I must say it is interesting to read about it, though.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

atalanta
Well I'm gonna have to wait. It's comPatible with iOS 4.3 and up.

JackH

atalanta wrote:

Can you update the OS on those "i" products or is it time for a new device.

JackH

Dan wrote:

I was wondering how the actual roast temperature values get into the database. Maybe wireless thermocouples??.

ginny
atalanta, update your software...Grin

Barrie

JackH wrote:

atalanta wrote:

Can you update the OS on those "i" products or is it time for a new device.

You can not only update, it usually will tell you when you turn the thing on that there is a new version available.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

atalanta
I have a faux version 3 touch that tops out at 4.2. Can't update any further without buying a new device. Which I may do when the next one comes out, I'll need to for work.

jfutral
If Rainfrog could get a bluetooth thermocouple to work with the software, I'd be willing to give it a go again. When I was using my phone for logging, I preferred iRoaster. Much simpler to use, cleaner interface.

But these days with a Behmor, since there is no way to measure temps, a spreadsheet in Numbers is all I use when I log.

But again, if he can get a bluetooth thermocouple working, I might just hack my Behmor. Hopefully, Mr. Behm is not reading. :-)

Joe

ginny
Actually I think he is in dev with an interface.

-g

Barrie
Well, now I have about eighteen roasts in Roastmaster, which I have been using with the iPad, and back up the information to my Dropbox folder, complete with the relevant profile and temperature curves. This is an option built into the software, which is working out very well indeed. Initially I had problems hearing the cracks with the GC but have solved that thanks to some amplification and filtering software (see other thread in the GC section - "Amplified cracks etc.").
IMHO this software is worth a look if you are currently keeping written records and have an iPad or iPod touch. You just might abandon the old (outdated?) written method! Grin
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

Steve Egge
Barry ...

I loaded the software on my Ipad touch .. and like it .. I have a android phone and there is an App called Coffee Roaster which is not as elegant but what I like about it is that you can enter temps at times via a slicer bar and "plot" you curves that you get with the Gene Cafe ... wish Iroaster had this feature.

steve

kkoltunf
Barry,

I just bought Roastmaster and backed up to Dropbox as well. Can one actually look at the database on a PC or Mac, or is this really just for backup purposes?

Ken

Freebird
I just bought the Roastmaster app for my iPhone. Has anyone had recent experience with it? It looks like a great tool for me as I get going, and should help with keeping and more importantly using the data as I progress.

snwcmpr
Welcome Freebird.
I am a shellback, too.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

JackH
There has been no new activity for months for this app. Maybe someone using it can chime in.

ginny
It's a great program and he updates with regularity.

I have it on my iPhone, iPod and iPad. I do not use ll the time because I do not keep copious notes o my roasts any longer.

He will answer any and all questions you may have simply go to his website and blog pages.

ginny

akiley

JackH wrote:

There has been no new activity for months for this app. Maybe someone using it can chime in.

I've been using Roastmaster for several month on my iPad. It's really a great app! It just underwent a huge upgrade. It will now data log with several option for hardware. Also many many other improvements.

I bought the BlueTherm data logging option. A 200 buck bluetooth K-Type dual imput thermometer. I did dual probes into my Hottop for bean temp and envirornment temp. Roastmaster works well for manual data entry too which I did for a few months. The Bluetherm solution works perfectly. I still manually log fan and power setting as the roast progresses. They show below the temp curves.

I can't say enough about this app. The developer let me beta test the latest version and he really listened to what I suggested and implemented some ideas I had.

This app is much more comprehensive than I initially thought. You really have to use it for a while and especially watch the videos provided on RainFrogs website.

The videos are also a great way to dicide if this app is for you pre purchase. There is an additional fee for getting the data logging option. 10 or 15 bucks, but well worth it.

Videos are a bit hard to find on the website. There are here. ... Aaron

http://rainfrogin...on/videos/

JackH
Hi Aaron, thanks for the update!

MikeWI
All I need is a version for Android!

Jump to Forum: