Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cooking Brag List
atalanta
best post

BF Lately has taken to taking over the kitchen. We subscribe to a CSA (buy a share of a local farm) and are now getting in the fresh veggies.

Well, he's decided that we're to be eating fine dinners now "I wonder what the poor people are doing" (our dinners are relatiively inexpensive).

Monday was veal patties - "scratch and dent" veal (manager's special) with homemade tomato sauce. "Chunky Basil Tomato Sauce" that I canned with last year's tomatoes.

Tuesday - the "scratch and dent" had gone south that fast. We thawed two fillets (we got a "fell off the truck" tenderloin and I butchered it). BF heated some butter in a cast iron pan and seared the fillets for 3 min on each side (we like ours very rare and it cut like buttah). Then he took some cheap balsamic and deglazed the pan and reduced it to a thicker, sweet sauce that went over the fillets.

I would have grilled the fillets (I'm the grill mistress) but it was raining and while I will happily grill in the snow, I will not grill in the rain.

BBQ grill

Wednesday - he found non "scratch and dent" veal and made veal marsala. But used baby portabella mushrooms instead of button and Harvey's Bristol Cream instead of marsalla wine (an old roomie left the sherry). IMO better than your average marsalla.

The rest of the week is have-tos and family obligations so we're going to be "slumming" it until Monday.

How's that Ginny? What? You'll be here for dinner on Monday? Good thing I got a case of Pino Grigio before dance class on Wednesday. Oh and I'm going to the Tastes of PA Wine and Food Festival on Sunday.

tiki
Edited by ginny on 06/23/2012 1:23 PM

jkoll42
You just had to start this didn't you.

This week as been a little busy so just the standards like chicken caeser salad, roast chicken etc. Last weekend, however, was BBQ.

Dry rub babyback ribs left to marinate overnight and then braised with beer (Victory Storm King Stout) for 2 hours. Homemade BBQ sauce and finish fired over hot as hell lump charcoal to make it all crispy on the outside. Bacon cheddar deviled eggs with smoked paprika, homemade potato salad.... and unfortunately I just made my self hungry.

This weekend my first test batches for this years pickle recipes get the taste test!

Yeah food!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb
Well, it wasn't in the plans but I'll now have to break out the smoker this weekend and toss some thoroughly rubbed ribs on it and load the igloo with beer. beach
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

John Despres
Just to let you know, us po' folk had Chinese take out for dinner. In the back garden.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

jkoll42

allenb wrote:

Well, it wasn't in the plans but I'll now have to break out the smoker this weekend and toss some thoroughly rubbed ribs on it and load the igloo with beer. beach

Mmmm... What are you using for a smoker? I have been seriously thinking about getting one.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JETROASTER
Western Style Ribs.....overnight slow-cooker in apple-cider espresso chipotle.
Brush with bacon grease...toss on grill. Boom!

Anyone know a good cardiologist? -Scott

ginny
actually stripe kitty I was wondering if I could just come for the week.

I do housework, cook, pet care, driving and of course beach
and checking with the locals about party

I do, however, make my bed any longer; I simply toss to covers up maybe.

yes and I do roast coffee and will be willing to bring my Hot Top and Quest 3 for you to play with; will have beans shipped to you this week from Sweet Maria.

-g

coffeeroastersclub
Next weekend my wife and I are gonna smoke 5 pork shoulders, approx 9 pounds each. Looking at a 14 hour smoke in the BBQ at approx 210 degrees F, using maple and oak for the woods. We have a barrel smoker I made from a 55 gallon drum and a small woodstove someone discarded that I found. I've been doing BBQ with this setup for about 6 years now; been smoking pork for about 15 years.

www.coffeeroastersclub.com/smoker/smoker_in_operation.jpg

I have some good pictures at the following URL if anyone wants to see how I made it:

http://www.coffee...om/smoker/

Just click on the URL and you will see alot of links you can click on again. They are all pictures of the smoker shown in differing angles with DIY info added. And also a picture of our dog Angus. You can't make him, he's just in for the ride. Roflmao

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

allenb

jkoll42 wrote:

allenb wrote:

Mmmm... What are you using for a smoker? I have been seriously thinking about getting one.

I'm using a basic electric barrel http://www.amazon...amp;hvqmt=

It's real finicky with wood chunk placement, too close to the tubular it goes into flames. It does a pretty good job but no thermostat. I want a good beefy log burner someday but they're expensive.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
Ok, Len has just made me real jealous. Thats a real smoker. For real pit BBQ smoke flavor this is the only way to go, burning real logs, low and slow.

Some day soon.BBQ grill

coffeeroastersclub

allenb wrote:

Ok, Len has just made me real jealous. Thats a real smoker. For real pit BBQ smoke flavor this is the only way to go, burning real logs, low and slow.

Some day soon.BBQ grill

Allen,

I first started around 15 years ago with a gas fired Brinkmann water pan smoker (looked a bit like the one you now have). I went through 2 of them until I decided to build the barrel smoker.

What I really like about the barrel smoker is the capacity it has. I have filled the thing with 6 butts + about 36 homemade hot dogs at once. With the dogs added I did a cold smoke (about 100 degrees F in barrel) for about 1/2 hour then brought it slowly up to 160 (over a period of another 1 1/2 hours), then removed the dogs, sprayed them down with cold water and refrigerated, then wrapped 2 at a time in aluminum foil and froze. After the dogs were smoked I then continued the BBQ of the butts for the remaining 12 hours time.

Some pictures of finished dogs; also a picture of the BBQ filled with homemade kielbasa and leftover pork bones from the kielbasa making process:

www.coffeeroastersclub.com/smoker/hotdogs.jpg

www.coffeeroastersclub.com/smoker/kielbasa.jpg

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

ciel-007
Len, you sure have an impressive looking setup. Congrats!
It makes my Kamado look like a toy in comparison.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Lawnmowerman
Im very impressed with the food snobbery going about this thread. Heres my submission. This coming sunday morning will have buttermilk waffles. Made the usual way from a recipe in joy of cooking. Baked in an antique manning bowman electric iron. The plates on this iron are from the pre teflon era. After tasting waffles off this im never using teflon again for anything. And what will be served with the waffles? Brazil santos, roasted friday night. This coffee just melts in your mouth. I must admit i envy all of you meat smokers. Ive never met one in person.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

Dan
There must be a link between coffee roasting and BBQ smoking. Maybe its the fire danger! I've been smoking for years, first with an electric moist smoker, but now with a Traeger pellet smoker. This thing is GREAT! 100% hardwood pellets are fed into a burning pit via an auger. A blower insured complete combustion. I bought the thermostat option, so I can dial any temperature I want. 200? for low and slow with lots of smoke, great for pork. 325? for chicken that's SOooo juicy after 1:15 hours. Any wood you want: oak, maple, cherry, apple, alder, grapevine, mesquite, and hickory. I vented mine up through the garage roof with aluminum flex hose so I can run it all winter long. It has an electric ignitor, so no fire-starting rituals to perform. When you are done, just turn it off and walk away.

www.traegergrills.com/images/grills/BBQ070-1.jpg

atalanta
Ginny, we'll set up an air mattress for ya!

I smoked some salmon I brought back from Alaska (brought back 2 whole) but it only turned out so-so. My next is to try smoking in our webber (I'm sure its possible).

We're on hiatus this weekend cuz we're not home - Friday I did Relay for Life (my dad survived colon cancer), Saturday a wedding, and Sunday the Tastes of PA wine festival at split rock.

coffeeroastersclub

ciel-007 wrote:

Len, you sure have an impressive looking setup. Congrats!
It makes my Kamado look like a toy in comparison.

Hello Ciel, I don't have any experience with the Kamado. It is one of the egg shaped porcelin BBQs, right? You can smoke in it, right?

Len

ciel-007
That is correct Len. The Kamado is the clay oven that American GIs discovered in Japan during WWII, and brought back to the US upon their return. It is the original ceramic cooker/smoker on which the Big Green Egg is based. The Kamado is an amazing BBQ/smoker, offering tremendous temperature control, and retaining moisture inside the cooking chamber. It may not be as good as your wonderful set-up, but it sure beats a gas BBQ for flavor.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

jkoll42
Costco is carrying a Kamado for a pretty good price this year - it was tempting.
-Jon

ciel-007

jkoll42 wrote:

Costco is carrying a Kamado...

Might you have a link for this item?

jkoll42
It's an in warehouse only item so nothing online on costco.com but I am pretty sure it was http://www.vision...o-classic/

I want to say it was around $550? I have to go this week for other stuff so I will see if it is still not sold out and update.

Jon
-Jon

ciel-007

jkoll42 wrote:

It's an in warehouse only item so nothing online on costco.com but I am pretty sure it was http://www.vision...o-classic/

Thanks John. That unit is virtually identical to mine. To the best of my knowledge, this model was introduced into the USA (from China) about 5 years ago under the name Dragon Fire. I found it to be an excellent value for the money, when compared to the cost of a BGE.
ciel-007 attached the following image:
eggcomparison-2.jpg

ginny
http://www.haynee...RQodsBj91g

best price I have ever seen on the Classic.

I am going to have my sister check Costco. The one on link above is different from one on Kamado site.

-g

coffeeroastersclub

ginny wrote:

http://www.haynee...RQodsBj91g

best price I have ever seen on the Classic.

I am going to have my sister check Costco. The one on link above is different from one on Kamado site.

-g

Ginny, just found the same kamado on amazon for $319, with free delivery:
http://www.amazon...B005ELWI7S
Said only 10 left in stock.

Smoking up five 9 pound shoulders today, using a new recipe for the rub. Here is the recipe. I substituted 2 heads of fresh garlic for the garlic salt. I put about a tablespoon of redhot sauce in the rub mix and let it all rip in our food processor until it was a paste (it smelled awesome woohoo ). We (my wife helped also) first injected each shoulder numerous times with the apple juice/salt/sugar liquid, and then rubbed the rub mix paste in each shoulder real good. Then we let it sit over a day in the fridge, taking it out after 1/2 a day to rerub all the mixture in the shoulders. After I put the shoulders in the BBQ we rinsed out the pans with filtered water, mixed in some apple juice, and set the fluid aside (with a bit of leftover injection fluid). We will be using this for our mop during the last 1/2 part of the smoking (about 7 hours into the BBQ). We put the shoulders in the BBQ at 11am today, and will be taking them out at approx 1am Tomorrow morning.

Here is that recipe we are using for the rub and injection:

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt (we substituted 2 whole heads of garlic)
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------
1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225?F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195?F.

Len
Edited by coffeeroastersclub on 06/18/2012 11:40 AM

ginny
Len:

Thanks, I just ordered one. Sold my older char grill cheap and sold my gas stainless
grill yesterday and have enough for this new one.

I have wanted to try one but really did not want to spend a huge amount of change on it...

this looks great, got some great reviews and your review was super. thanks for taking time to post and I will try your goodies next week.

ginny

beach and tiki

jkoll42
It was the vision classic linked above at costco. Seemed like a very well built grill. Pricing at my warehouse was $569. Time to keep an eye end of season if they have any on clearance.
-Jon

Jump to Forum: