Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cooking Brag List
ginny
yes, I know, my scottsdale costco has no more and will not be getting them
back in stock. I have opted for the Char-Griller Akorn, very nice grill for the price.

-g

atalanta
I'd ask you to pick me one up at Costco if they do go on sale, jkoll42, but I have no room for another grill. And BF would KILL me if I got rid of the webber (it's a 21" that we got from his parents).

Too hot to grill today (ok, so I don't grill when it's raining or when the air is hotter than the grill LOL). So we're slumming tonight with leftover lemon chicken and fresh salad greens. We finished up the strawberries I picked last week.

Tonight is definately a tiki night. Our local Tiki bar was pimping their drinks on Facebook today.

Thanks for posting that rub recipe, gonna get some pork and give it a go. YUM!

jkoll42
I don't really have room for another one either but.... We got the propane weber, and kettle weber. My friend has an old side mount firebox smoker that I think I am going to (permanently) "borrow" and mod it up into a decent smoker. I guess we can just sit on the grass since the patio will be full o grills!

Yes, tiki tonite sounds good. 100 degree party!

:smiley-jazzy-gif:

Oops, not that kind of party....
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

ginny
gonna be hotter in hell here today as well,

I could not justify yet another outdoor BBQ/Grill that's why I decided to sell off the older/newer one's this Kamado type.

hey I am a foodie, plus if you grow up in Southern California, on the beach,
you eat most meals off a grill.

I have never gotten rid of my old weber, it is packed in a box in the basement and frankly it's easier to buy this new toy.I would have to mount 3 onth search to find the weber...

beach
sanding the deck and later, maybe sooner

a tiki

coffeeroastersclub

ginny wrote:

Len:

Thanks, I just ordered one. Sold my older char grill cheap and sold my gas stainless
grill yesterday and have enough for this new one.

I have wanted to try one but really did not want to spend a huge amount of change on it...

this looks great, got some great reviews and your review was super. thanks for taking time to post and I will try your goodies next week.

ginny

beach and tiki

Ginny,

Check this out. For the first time we saved all the juices that drip down from the pork shoulder BBQ and re-added it to the pulled pork. First we let the juices sit overnight in the fridge so that we could take off the fat. Then I got the juice and reduced it on the stove until it got syrupy. Then I poured it over the already pulled pork. OMG it is good! We have about 35 pounds of pulled pork in the freezer now, all bagged in ziplock sandwich bags. When we want to use some we take it out, let it naturally thaw, then put in pan with a little butter just to heat it up. We keep the bones from the shoulders too; my wife makes some awesome split pea soup with them. One of the best parts: The shoulders were only 99 cents per pound (on sale). Gotta find ways to save anyway you can nowadays.
smile

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

JETROASTER
Save the fat!!!!!! Use it for your reheat instead of the butter.
....better yet, use it(generously) to grease the iron skillet for the cornbread! -Scott

coffeeroastersclub

freshbeans wrote:

Save the fat!!!!!! Use it for your reheat instead of the butter.
....better yet, use it(generously) to grease the iron skillet for the cornbread! -Scott

Scott, that is a great idea. I ditched it already, darn Shock . I will have to remember that in the future. It would have had a nice smokey taste too.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

jkoll42
So, I am thinking for the time beaing I am going to slap together a small terra cotta flower pot electric smoker (ala Alton Brown) until I get something larger. Being impatient I don't want to order a hot plate online for the heat source. I do however have some old range elements laying around. Am I correct in thinking that I could just run 120V through a 15A router speed control and into the coil? They are 240 designed coils, but it would just pull 10A instead of 5A on 120... right?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

ciel-007

jkoll42 wrote:

... Am I correct in thinking that I could just run 120V through a 15A router speed control and into the coil? They are 240 designed coils, but it would just pull 10A instead of 5A on 120... right?

A 240vac element running on 120vac will throw some heat, but I suspect that it may not reach the high temperature required to cook/smoke. You can always buy similar elements running on 120vac, but they are expensive.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

allenb
I've played around with 220v stovetop elements for smokers and it is actually an advantage to use them on 120v as the reduced current (5 amps instead of 10) allows a much reduced tubular element surface temperature. The 220 volt unit I used on 120v smoldered hardwood perfectly without causing flameups. Using one rated for 120v will require quite a reduction in power to prevent flames.

You'll need an additional heat source for getting the ET up to the mid 200's unless it's real small and/or insulated well.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
Interesting. I was planning on using a 17" (or slightly larger if I can find it) unglazed terracotta planter for the vessel so it is fairly small and rather well insulated. I wonder if the 220 element would provide enough heat
-Jon

coffeeroastersclub

allenb wrote:

I've played around with 220v stovetop elements for smokers and it is actually an advantage to use them on 120v as the reduced current (5 amps instead of 10) allows a much reduced tubular element surface temperature. The 220 volt unit I used on 120v smoldered hardwood perfectly without causing flameups. Using one rated for 120v will require quite a reduction in power to prevent flames.

You'll need an additional heat source for getting the ET up to the mid 200's unless it's real small and/or insulated well.

Allen

My experience with 220 on 110 volt elements is that if the 220 element is rated at 2400 watts, then the rating on 110 volt is 1200 watts. I use 220 volt elements all the time on various 110 volt projects.

Len

allenb
In doing some ohm's law doodling for a 2200 watt large stovetop tubular I get the following:

For watts (E squared / resistance = watts

220 x 220 / 22 ohms = 2200 watts

120 x 120 / 22 ohms = 654 watts

The square factor causes any voltage drop to have a drastic drop in wattage.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
I'd like to make a clarification on using a tubular stovetop for making smoke. I found a much improved smoke quality by placing the wood chunks directly on the element instead of in a pan on an element. the pan allowed tars and resins to coat the pan which eventually burns off in an acrid "sour" smoke.

My recommendation is to dial in the element so that the wood smolders well and causes ash to form and drop in between the element turns but not hot enough to ignite which is a delicate balance.

Allen

John Despres

allenb wrote:

My recommendation is to dial in the element so that the wood smolders well and causes ash to form and drop in between the element turns but not hot enough to ignite which is a delicate balance.

Allen

Hmmm. I do something similar at Thanksgiving with the bird on the grill.

I discovered this by mistake once and have got it under control. After a complicated 24 hour brining regimen, The bird goes on the grill at 225F - After the first 2 hours or so, I add those wood chunks for flavoring - the kind you're supposed to wet down - but I don't wet them very much, I want smoke, not steam.

The delicate balance for me is both temperature so the wood burns slowly and the amount of wood.

Excellent bird! Mmmm
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

ginny
I love new cooking toys. hopefully my skill will win out first time out the gate!

hahahha

I want some pulled pork too.
beach

allenb

ginny wrote:

I love new cooking toys. hopefully my skill will win out first time out the gate!

hahahha

I want some pulled pork too.
beach

My favorite pulled pork is smoke the shoulders with light smoke for 10 hours at 225 or so, or with medium smoke I go for 6 hours smoke but still total cook time of 10 hours +.

Then a nice North Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce to drizzle all over it for a nice pulled pork sandwich.
http://allrecipes...bbq-sauce/
I better get some more smoking woods!

ginny
yummmm

sounds wonderful to me.

BBQ grill

atalanta
I had some pulled pork today. The bar we go to does an occasional Pig Roast. One time I asked for the head and picked all the yummy meat off (I watch too much Bizzare Foods). Put it in the freezer and thaw as needed (takes no time in this weather). Yum! The cats were very insistant that I share.

jk - for a heating element, can you use one of those $20 burners from Walgreens? Will that get hot enough?

Or just go outside with a mirror, it feels hot enough today (though it's not too hot or Letterman would be trying the "fry egg on sidewalk schtick")

jkoll42
I love pulled pork - it's too early to be dreaming of it! My initial plan was exactly that - use a cheap burner but the walgreens site said it was online only. I think I will do the tour de pharmacie today and see what I can find. There's a local olde tyme hardware store that might have one covered in 3 inches of dust.

Yesterday I had the same though - using some mirrors or a magnifying glass! Hmm... wonder if we could roast a coffee bean with a magnifying glass?
-Jon

JETROASTER
Search 'solar coffee roaster' ....it's out there! -Scott

jkoll42
must.not.build.magnifying glass.roaster
-Jon

coffeeroastersclub

allenb wrote:

In doing some ohm's law doodling for a 2200 watt large stovetop tubular I get the following:

For watts (E squared / resistance = watts

220 x 220 / 22 ohms = 2200 watts

120 x 120 / 22 ohms = 654 watts

The square factor causes any voltage drop to have a drastic drop in wattage.

Allen

Thank you Allen for bringing this info. I always thought it was 1/2.

Len

ginny
Len:

what is the diameter of the grill, inside?

thanks,

ginny
:smiley-837.gif:
cus I need too

ginny
Jeez, we can forget everything else now:

http://www.costco...ngItemName

hahaha

Jump to Forum: