Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's For Dinner
atalanta
This is what got this section started, talking about the yummies that made up the evening's fine repast.

Don't be shy, it can be anything from tuna noodle casserole (yes, I like the one my mom used to make) to the sandwich concoction you concocted during a case of late night munchies to the fine 4-course with fine wine.

Tonight we had leftovers, so that may not be too exciting. But, I had grilled pork chops that had marinated for a day in homemade bbq sauce (not a tomato variety) and sake. To go with was salad with greans from our CSA and broccoli that was cooked in bulgogi sauce.

hut

jkoll42
We had Scallops Provencal. Such a simple recipe, but the diver scallop sweetness with the shallots and wine is one of my favorites. Unfortunately... scallop prices are high but oh so worth it smile
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Max Heatgun
I keep sensing a double standard with these purist folks.

It seems a sacrilege to add something (other than water) to coffee, yet fresh diver scallops get dredged in flour and pan fried with shallots etc. Hmmm
If we add ingredients to scallops...we are enhancing.
If we add ingredients to coffee...we are masking?

....because I enjoy a lively debate.
....and because HRO is the only place that can handle this conversation.

( the scallops sound delicious btw) -Max

jkoll42
Ok, Ok I'll bite BBQ grill

I am kinda in the middle of the whole purist debate. I personally drink my drip and espresso straight. I think that milk can be used as a enhancement (not my preference) but I do not believe sugar has any place with properly prepared coffee. Milk can work alongside the coffee flavors but sugar completely changes the coffee and the sweet/acid balances.

Sort of like how a light flour dredge increases the texture prception of the scallop and the sweetness and fruit from the shallots and wine work along side the scallop. Thats like milk in coffee. Sugar is like dry rubbing a scallop in BBQ rub and covering that with a balsamic reduction.

My wife drinks coffee with cream and sugar so you can see I really don't care enough to force people to drink something the way I think it should be consumed but... let the debate begin!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb
Lets say 90% of scallop lovers the world over preped their scallops in a way that made them taste totally bland unless they tossed tons of seasoning and breading and deep fried to death. And then there were 10% who found a way to prep them that allowed them to retain all their inherent good flavor and found that sauteing them in a nice wine/butter sauce produced an amazingly great flavor with all of their flavor charachteristics in tact and very little of the wine/butter sauce masking the scallops flavor.

The 10% would be yelling from the rooftops to do two things. 1. Stop the incorrect prep and when that's done, make sure you at least try them without all the masking so you experience all the flavors the scallops have to offer.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Max Heatgun

allenb wrote:

The 10% would be yelling from the rooftops to do two things. 1. Stop the incorrect prep and when that's done, make sure you at least try them without all the masking so you experience all the flavors the scallops have to offer.

Allen

Lets say the 10% assured the quality by eating them raw in the boat. Then assured that all the inherent goodness stayed intact.
Would it be masking or enhancing to season and deep fry them?
-Max

John Despres
Butter or maybe extra virgin olive oil for my scallops. Maybe a tiny pinch of salt to bring out the flavor of the sea a bit more. Not enough salt to taste, but enough to enhance.

Both cream and sugar increase the mouth feel and density of coffee, thereby changing it's flavor and texture. I'm not sure I'd agree with the BBQ/scallop corollary vs. sugar/coffee, as one is probably extremely rare, while the other is quite common.

As to masking, milk fats mask the bitter properties of coffee. The bitter compounds of the coffee are diluted into the fats of the milk, making them less able to reach the bitter receptors on our tongue.

Cooking Brussels sprouts with fats - butter or bacon grease - brings the bitterness down and improves the mouth feel as well.

Humans have a strange war with bitterness. Dark grapes are delicious, but the skins alone are horrible. Few folk will eat a Treviso radicchio salad but they might tear off a few bits and mix them in with other greens for complexity. We certainly do!

Sugar is very easy to add to just about anything. Animals/humans are developed to seek out sweets from birth, in fact it's the first taste sense we develop to encourage us to eat healthy from the git-go. Bitter is the second taste to develop to protect us from most poisons but not all bitters are poisonous.

Artificial sweeteners do nothing to increase mouth feel in any beverage as they add very little in the way of body. Most of them are 200 (aspartame) to 600 (Splenda) times sweeter than sugar and considerably less is required to sweeten our beverages. Sweetness is really a comfort food/taste in most cases.

Anybody here eat Ben & Jerry's ice cream? It's full of big chunks and very creamy and thick. The reason is interesting. Ben Cohen suffers from anosmia (http://en.wikiped...ki/Anosmia) as well as loss of taste. The company compensated and created these wonderfully thick textured treats to increase the physical pleasure of their products. A huge portion of tasting is mouth feel, so the addition of sugar or cream may be fulfilling a physical sensory need as well as masking needs. Increasing texture/body is a great way to enhance our tasting pleasures.

An interesting quality of salt is its ability to sweeten. I've never tried it but adding a tiny bit of salt to a grapefruit will sweeten it. Maybe it'll work with coffee as well. Who's gonna be the first to try it here? The great problem for us will be finding bitter coffee as I'm sure we don't roast any. Well, maybe not on purpose, anyway.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

ginny
scallops

one of my personal favorites. if fresh.

tossed on the grill for a few seconds, let them roll around unabashed alone,

almost no cooking, almost raw, maybe some spicy dipping sauce if I am in the mood.

the purist debate is very old and at times painful to read/listen to...

I try new ways of cooking weekly, am surprised by some and enjoy all.

as with coffee, it is ONLY the matter of personal taste that makes ANY difference.

regardless of texture, smell and fork feel, personal taste rules,

that said I am a glorious food hog and will always give up any purist thoughts to be feed free food that anyone, except what my brother Bud may cook.

I cannot wait to try some if these exquisite taste delights that will be in these threads thanks to stripe kitty.

good going kitty...

I will supply a wonderful Viognier for any coming for scallops or anything else actually. great wine.

ginny

tiki
Edited by ginny on 06/27/2012 1:32 PM

Max Heatgun
.....and onto a matter of great importance:
Did the shallots get introduced early....with the scallops...or were they more of a finishing? -Max

jkoll42
Butter/oil sear in hot pan to color the scallops, shallots in with a couple of minutes to go just to take the edge off/give a slight wilt. Wine in for a minute to burn off the alcohol edge. Definately finishing.

Since we are talking scallops, is there much better than a bacon wrapped diver under the broiler? Yeah I know - "But Jon, you are just blowing out the delicate scallop flavor with the smokey bacon"

Yes, yes I am and they're delicious!
-Jon

allenb

Max Heatgun wrote:

allenb wrote:

Allen

Lets say the 10% assured the quality by eating them raw in the boat. Then assured that all the inherent goodness stayed intact.
Would it be masking or enhancing to season and deep fry them?
-Max

I would quickly exit the purist boat and jump into the boat with the deep fryer. Definitely enhancing for my tastes.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ginny
on my way, yum you guys are too much...

atalanta
That's the point to this thread, spread the culinary love!

(and if you want to debate modify or purist, please take it to another thread)

Tonight wasn't exciting (since I get home so late on Wed), but BF stank up the kitchen - sauteed some garlic in white wine and then added shrimp and just a tetch of butter. Reduced it just a tetch. Drool.

ginny
rock on stripe kitty...

you tell 'um

-g

troposcuba
I just made the wife and myself a quick dinner of home made fresh fettuccini with pesto (grew the basil as well and just clipped it 5 minutes before the sauce was made.) then had a couple steaks from the local butcher that he calls "ugly steaks". Not sure what cut, but it has nice marbling and a bit of a coarse grain to it, but can be amazingly tender when cooked correctly. Those got a slightly Asian influenced quick (15 minutes) marinade. a bit of hoisin sauce, touch of thai fish sauce, touch of oyster sauce, a few drips of sesame oil, splash of worcestershire, and about a glop of sriracha chili garlic paste. cooked em up on the grill with some mesquite sticks and chunks and then steamed a couple heads of broccoli to go with it all. pretty easy, fast and really good down home meal. Believe it or not, fresh pasta is worlds better than dry store bought, and takes almost the same amount of time to make.... oh and a hand shaken margarita made with Cabo Wabo Tequila, a splash of cointreau, a splash of rose's concentrated lime juice, and I took the easy way out and used margarita mix to finish it. so how's that for a disjointed Italian, American, Asian, Hispanic meal. I guess that would be the foodie version of "playing outside" in jazz music if you know what I mean. I enjoyed the experiment anyway. (Tequila may have influenced that a bit).
Sean

Max Heatgun
....and speaking of jazz...
Red hot with salt potatoes at the Rochester International Jazz Festival.
A little street meat before the Steve Martin show.
For me, street food is where it's at! -Max

coffeeroastersclub
Tonight its homemade split pea soup using pork shoulder bones leftover from a shoulder BBQ we had this past weekend; with some chopped up pulled pork from the BBQ. Chopped carrots, onion, and potatoes are in it too, cooked on low in a crock pot for about 12 hours. Very awesome taste. Sticks to your ribs. ThumbsUp

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

John Despres
Lamb tagine.

'Nuff said.
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

atalanta
We went to the local pub tonight (it's Ice Tea night and I like me some Ice tea!). The special board had soft shell crab BLT (one of my fave specials) and sauteed soft shell crab dinner with sauteed squash and corn on the cob (BF had that). Don't know what we're doing for the holiday, may grill us some Lucys.

Stay cool, my friends, it's gonna get hot tomorrow!

beach

Dan

John said, "An interesting quality of salt is its ability to sweeten. I've never tried it but adding a tiny bit of salt to a grapefruit will sweeten it."

I think there's something to that. As a kid, I'd eat half a lemon as a treat, but only after sprinkling salt on it. I'd also eat raw a rhubarb stalk by dipping it in flake salt. But don't trust me, I sprinkle fresh ground black pepper on my muskmelon!

I've heard it said that sugar conquers acidity, and salt conquers bitterness.

John Despres

Dan wrote:

John said, "An interesting quality of salt is its ability to sweeten. I've never tried it but adding a tiny bit of salt to a grapefruit will sweeten it."

I think there's something to that. As a kid, I'd eat half a lemon as a treat, but only after sprinkling salt on it. I'd also eat raw a rhubarb stalk by dipping it in flake salt. But don't trust me, I sprinkle fresh ground black pepper on my muskmelon!

I've heard it said that sugar conquers acidity, and salt conquers bitterness.

I've tried it now... We keep a large pitcher of fruit/herb water in the fridge - it's made up of varying combinations of orange, lemon, lime slices with sprigs of mint. If it sits too long with the water too low it will become bitter and it was yesterday.

I poured a glass, added the smallest pinch of pink Himalayan fine ground salt, and it was much sweeter.
Respect the bean.
John Despres

JETROASTER
"I've heard it said that sugar conquers acidity"

Marinara sauce that has been simmering too long, benefits from a bit of sugar. Likely nothing to do with PH level, but rather the way it hits your tongue.

So, what do HRO people have on the Fourth of July menu?

For me it's Strip Steak, roasted potatoes , asparagus. All on the grill! -Scott

jkoll42
For the fourth:

Smoking a pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches, creamy slaw and hopefully there will be some halfway decent corn floating around. May make some bacon cheddar deviled eggs also if I feel up to it.
-Jon

coffeeroastersclub

freshbeans wrote:

"I've heard it said that sugar conquers acidity"

Marinara sauce that has been simmering too long, benefits from a bit of sugar. Likely nothing to do with PH level, but rather the way it hits your tongue.

So, what do HRO people have on the Fourth of July menu?

Going to my wifes uncle and aunts, where I can watch him destroy everything he puts on the grill ... BBQ grill

The company is good, however.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

ginny
Don't you just want to grab that fork from his hand and stick him in the butt with it...

interesting how all have locked onto the "grilling woman/man smiley and the turning grill smiley"

and they said no one would us them, hahaha

i win this round. you can all send steak, thank you.

ginny

beach

Merged on June 29 2012 10:54:16:

what time is dinner?

-g

party
Edited by ginny on 06/29/2012 12:54 PM

Jump to Forum: