Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's For Dinner
JETROASTER
The party starts when you get here!! One burner remains on 'low' at all times....ready for action.
In my neighborhood, the party starts July 4...then slides right into our arts festival.
http://cornhillar...tival.com/

The grill stays hot, the cocktails remain chilled. ....and some iced coffee is always on hand.
If anyone is in the area...stop on by! -Scott

jkoll42
Anyone else here going to feel a bit weird having the 4th in the middle of the week?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

ginny
I have one thing to say:

"you folks at HRO rock..."

I don't know where stripe kitty is but this forum is about life and what we do; not just coffee.

stripe kitty you have changed his forum forever and made it more human and friendly; I always said we were not a one stop shop, that there was more to these coffee freaks...

proved by the simple fact that we have copious amounts from everyday coffee freaks posting their favorite foods.

thanks guys for your support of a thread that is not exactly on topic.

I am never "on topic."

-g

sun is still out beach

tiki time for me.

Lawnmowerman
Tonite: french dip sandwiches. The au jus was homemade and my wife used this french red wine that we didnt really care for the flavor in the roast and the dipping sauce. Ben jr, our 9 month old, well he will probably have have half a sandwich. Thats all i got for now.
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

atalanta
That french dip sandwich sounds YUMMY! "Not quite drinkable" wine is a great thing for cooking.

Lawnmowerman
And~fried zucchini that the neighbors down the road grew.

troposcuba

John Despres wrote:

Dan wrote:

John said, "An interesting quality of salt is its ability to sweeten. I've never tried it but adding a tiny bit of salt to a grapefruit will sweeten it."

I think there's something to that. As a kid, I'd eat half a lemon as a treat, but only after sprinkling salt on it. I'd also eat raw a rhubarb stalk by dipping it in flake salt. But don't trust me, I sprinkle fresh ground black pepper on my muskmelon!

I've heard it said that sugar conquers acidity, and salt conquers bitterness.

I've tried it now... We keep a large pitcher of fruit/herb water in the fridge - it's made up of varying combinations of orange, lemon, lime slices with sprigs of mint. If it sits too long with the water too low it will become bitter and it was yesterday.

I poured a glass, added the smallest pinch of pink Himalayan fine ground salt, and it was much sweeter.

John, my grandmother taught me that lesson long ago. I never liked how bitter grapefruit was. she ate it for breakfast all the time. It looked so good though. So one day I dumped a whole heap of sugar on it. Yuck! it was even more bitter. I asked her how she could eat that stuff. She told me to put salt on it to sweeten it up. I was baffled, but took her word and tried it. sure enough, she was right. I liked it a lot more that way.
Sean

Lawnmowerman
Tonite: turd on a tile. Otherwise known as ~~~t on a shingle. And strawberry daiquiries. Had hush puppies last night with our bbq beef loin coullete steaks.

jkoll42
lol - a few weeks ago we had that for breakfast on a doggie play date but with venison.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

atalanta
mmmm venison

Nothing exciting to report in my culinary world today.

Ginny - I am happy to have brought out another side of the members here!

Lawnmowerman
A very simple dish. Made even simpler by deciding not to buy canned soup anymore for it. Pork cho7 and rice. The raw ingredients:

Merged on July 03 2012 21:13:13:
I meant chops and rice. 2 cups rice. One bag celery.3cubes bullion. 1cup cream. One package chops. Brown chops. Throw everything in a baking pan with chops on top. Addwater to top. Bake til done.
Lawnmowerman attached the following images:
0703121734a.jpg 0703121801a.jpg

Edited by Lawnmowerman on 07/03/2012 10:13 PM

jkoll42
Tonight was pulled pork with homemade tangy bbq sauce and creamy slaw on a Amoroso Kaiser. 12 hours on the smoker, 2 hour simmer on the sauce. So, so worth the effort even if we did eat at 8:30.
beach

FP thread pics tomorrow when I get around to getting a pic up.
-Jon

Dan
Just my wife and I for dinner on the fourth, so we kept it simple. Filet mignon slow roasted for 25 minutes over mesquite until the center was 128?, garden salad, as in everything in the salad came from our organic garden, and a bottle of Guenoc Victorian Claret, 2007.

jzuzphreek

jkoll42 wrote:

Anyone else here going to feel a bit weird having the 4th in the middle of the week?

Not at all!! I could work like this every week! A weekend in the middle of the week? Monday was actually tolerable. People were smiling, and a coworker even talked me in to trying instant coffee :300ccCoffee.gif:. Now, just 2 days till the real weekend!
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

atalanta
We tried out a new burger last night, gonna give it another go with cheese (It was good but sharp provalone would make it better). If we had Amoroso rolls, it would have been even better LOL (just store brand potato rolls)

When I get the pic off my phone (not an easy task) or we do it again and I can take a real picture, I'll post it in FP.

ginny
one of the things that leaves much to be desired about living in the boonies are great bakeries...

I bake but I cannot make in a flash a particular, desired roll or bread and since I am not a great planner ahead well...

all over Santa Monica/Brentwood, pick a place and die for the fresh goodies.

I had a coke float for dinner:

real coke
fresh vanilla ice cream

load ICE COLD GLASS, the bigger the better if you are really hungry, with the fresh ice cream, take out ICE COLD real coke from fridge, pour over ice cream slowly, slurp and scoop foam and ice cream and flop in favorite chair, put feet up and enjoy...

ginny

ahhhhh

coffeeroastersclub

ginny wrote:

one of the things that leaves much to be desired about living in the boonies are great bakeries...

I bake but I cannot make in a flash a particular, desired roll or bread and since I am not a great planner ahead well...

real coke
fresh vanilla ice cream

load ICE COLD GLASS, the bigger the better if you are really hungry, with the fresh ice cream, take out ICE COLD real coke from fridge, pour over ice cream slowly, slurp and scoop foam and ice cream and flop in favorite chair, put feet up and enjoy...

ginny

ahhhhh

I've seen the original recipe real coke (Coca Cola) from Cokes plant in Mexico, being sold in the U.S. at our local supermarket. It has real cane sugar in it instead of the high fructose junk.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

atalanta

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

ginny wrote:

real coke
fresh vanilla ice cream

ginny

ahhhhh

I've seen the original recipe real coke (Coca Cola) from Cokes plant in Mexico, being sold in the U.S. at our local supermarket. It has real cane sugar in it instead of the high fructose junk.

Len

Ginny - sounds like what a lot of us will be drinking this weekend! LOL

Len - they do it with real sugar over passover so its kosher. I know a lot of people who stock up for the rest of the year.

Tonight is Ice Tea night at the pub. Dinner was soft shell crab BLT with wasabi mayo.

coffeeroastersclub

atalanta wrote:

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

ginny wrote:

real coke
fresh vanilla ice cream

ginny

ahhhhh

Len

Ginny - sounds like what a lot of us will be drinking this weekend! LOL

Len - they do it with real sugar over passover so its kosher. I know a lot of people who stock up for the rest of the year.

Tonight is Ice Tea night at the pub. Dinner was soft shell crab BLT with wasabi mayo.

I never new that, Coke having real sugar for passover. Pepsi was doing a "throwback" recipe for its Mountain Dew and Pepsi there for awhile. I bought some of the Mountain Dew (my favorite hangover cure drink from many years ago when I used to have a few ...). It did taste "crisper"; I guess that would be the term.

And here is my recipe for "hangover cure": 12 oz. cold moutain dew plus 2 advils. Go back to bed. Works like a charm.

What we're having tonight: I was able to purchase some bone in rib eye for $4.88 pound (can't beat that!). Put salt on both sides of the rib eye, splash some worcestershire sauce on both sides; keep out covered for 1/2 a day, flipping every now and then. Then we throw it on the grill, using hardwood sticks we pick up around the yard. When done (medium rare) we drizzle real butter on the top and wrap in aluminum foil for about 5 minutes. When ready we serve with salad (poppy seed mustard vinegar honey dressing). Home made blue cheese dressing on the side.
woohoo

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

jkoll42
FYI - most Costco stock throwback pepsi and coke from the mexico factory (in cool glass bottles). Tastes so much better with real sugar - no bite and nasty mouth slick from the HFCS

Merged on July 21 2012 15:13:21:
Not that this is some amazing recipe but man is it good. Just started getting in the first slicer tomatoes form the garden. Had an awesome BLT with lettuce from the garden and Arkansas Traveler tomatoes. It was so good!
Edited by jkoll42 on 07/21/2012 4:13 PM
-Jon

coffeeroastersclub

Not that this is some amazing recipe but man is it good. Just started getting in the first slicer tomatoes form the garden. Had an awesome BLT with lettuce from the garden and Arkansas Traveler tomatoes. It was so good!

Nothing beats a ripe tomato right out of the garden, especially on a BLT! I envy you; we have not had time for a garden in a few years. I miss the tomatoes the most.

Len

troposcuba
well, just had to do it again. Tonight was 8Lb Pork Picnic Shoulder. Smoked for about 6 1/2 hours between 190 and 220 with hickory and mesquite. some North Carolina BBQ (50/50 cider vinegar/white vinegar, cayenne pepper and cholula hot sauce to spice it up a bit) poured over and in the pan. pull it apart with a fork and stir it in the juices in the pan with a little more of the vinegar sauce and let it do it's thing for a while longer that way. does not get any better. gonna be eatin good for the rest of the week. some home made cast iron skillet cornbread and some coleslaw. does not get any better than that!!!!!
Sean

atalanta
Tropscuba, that sounds great!

Sunday and Monday - chicken wrapped in proscuitto with hollandaise sauce. So super naughts. No pic, not "pretty" enough. LOL but so super tasty! Last night was shrimp and tortelini alfredo (BF is a wicked saucier!!!) Tonight is manacotti and veal "marsala" - we use Harvey's instead of marsala.

We've started getting fresh tomatoes from the CSA. On fresh sourdough from the amish market down the street. YUMMY! Tried to make tarragon mayo, but too much vinegar (followed the recipe, stronger than plain vinegar). Our CSA is in New Jersey, you can't beat a fresh jersey tomato (unless you pull it from your own garden!).

My mom gave me a coffee rub to try - I"ll let you know how it goes. I forget what brand it is.

Jump to Forum: