Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Tiki Time!
atalanta
In honor of the Phila Museum of Art's Visions of Arcadia exhibit: http://www.philam...s/753.html Stephen Starr is hosting a tiki dinner this weekend (BF is on their EVIL mailing list).

With the weather being super sultry (we sure know it's the HUMIDITY) what are your favorite ways to Tiki?

tiki

For Christmas, we send a themed drink to our parents/siblings, last christmas it was the Zombie (my step-sister called me and all I heard at first was "Brains! Brains" in the background). This is the note we sent:

Maligayamg Pasko. Masaganang Bagong Taon

This package contains the makings for a classic tiki drink, the Zombie.

Legend has it that Donn Beach originally concocted the Zombie to help a hung-over customer get through a business meeting. He returned several days later to complain that he had been turned into a zombie for his entire trip.

Into a blender with about 15-20 cubes of ice, empty the three bottles of rum and half the apricot brandy. Add 1/4 cup pineapple juice, 1/4 cup lime juice, and 1/4 cup orange juice. Blend until a good frozen drink consistency (alternately, you can mix in a shaker and serve over ice). Pour into tiki glass and top with half the 151 rum. Lighting is optional.

To make it otherwise, it's basically:
1 part dark rum
2 parts light rum (or 1 part each light and golden)
1/2 part apricot brandy
1 part pineapple juice
1 part orange juice
1 part lime juice
1/2 part 151 rum
1 tsp sugar

(the greeting at the top of the page is Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in Tagalog.)

edit: clickable link JD
Edited by John Despres on 06/30/2012 7:42 AM

Dan
GAWD! Are you suggesting coffee drinks with little paper umbrellas in them! <shudder>

www.jacobgrier.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/maitai.jpg

atalanta
Dan, from my tiki recipe book, here is a recipe for coffee syrup:

Coffee Syrup

1 cup medium roast coffee beans
2 cups brandy
1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 cups water

Step 1: Crack all the coffee beans and place in a jar with the brandy. Seal and let it sit for 3-4 days (I would leave it at least a week), then pour off the brandy.

Step 2: Make a brown sugar syrup by heating the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves. Let cool, then combine the syrup with the coffee-infused brandy.

tiki

the book is Beachbum Berry Remixed and if you're into Tiki drinks I can't recommend it or the app that goes with it enough!

ginny
yum...

atalanta
The recipe is included below, but this link shows the full pix for a Kona Koffee Grog: http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/25/mai-kai-cocktail-review-ignite-your-passion-for-flaming-drinks-with-the-kona-coffee-grog/

I was browsing for some tiki inspiration and found the recipe. The website looks interesting and I'll have to check it out.

tiki

Kona Coffee Grog
(By Don the Beachcomber, from Hawai?i ? Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine)

* 2 cups hot Kona coffee
* 3 teaspoons honey cream mix
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 ounce dark Jamaican rum (Kohala Bay or equivalent)
* 1 ounce 151 rum (Lemon Hart Demerara recommended)
* 6 strips of lemon peel
* 6 strips of orange peel

Important note: Before attempting, read the safety precautions below.

In a heat-proof pitcher, combine the rum, cinnamon and citrus peels. Stir, set aside and let the rum soak into the peels.

Into a small pan, pour the hot Kona coffee and add the honey mix. Slowly heat. Pour heated (but not boiling) mixture into a coffee grog mug. Take the pitcher and coffee mug to a serving table.

With chopsticks, remove a piece of the orange or lemon peel and set afire. Plunge the peel back into the pitcher, setting the rum mixture ablaze (see photos below).

If possible, pick up the flaming citrus peel pieces and drop them into the coffee grog mug. Pour the flaming rum into the glass, stir with chopsticks and serve. The Mai-Kai adds a cinnamon stick, which is a nice touch.

ginny
I am on this one...

thanks Stripe Kitty, you rock...

party

allenb
Kona Coffee Grog sounds like one heck of a volatile drink! I may have to try one.

What's a good sub for Kona coffee?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

atalanta
I've been making my own tiki mixings so here's the first one:

Grenadine (since Rose's is just colored sugar water)

2 cups Pomegranate juice (I use POM)
1 cup sugar
1oz Hibiscus flowers

In a small saucepan mix the juice and sugar and simmer on low until the juice and sugar thickens (about 30 min). When you like the thickness, remove from heat and add the hibiscus. Let steep for 30 min to an hour. Strain out the flowers and now you have a bottle of grenadine that will rival anything you can buy.

ginny
we be six at the bar, please set us up...

rum, gin maybe ?

ginny

smoking

atalanta
Did you say GIN ginny? LOL I got BF the gins for this for his birthday and have been making them in liter bottle batches (multiply the recipe by 4 in a litre bottle, add seltzer to fill the bottle 3/4 and stick in freezer).

tiki

The Winchester
From Beachbum Berry's Blog: http://beachbumbe...in-genies/

If it weren?t for Prohibition, Tikiphiles might all be drinking gin-based concoctions. Don The Beachcomber, who in 1934 single-handedly invented both the Tiki drink and the Tiki bar at his eponymous Hollywood watering hole, found his initial creative inspiration in a gin drink: the storied Singapore Sling. He gravitated toward rum drinks largely because rum was dirt cheap after Repeal; overstocked rum-runners couldn?t give the stuff away once Americans could finally return to their spirits of choice (gin and whiskey), instead of the spirit of last resort (rum).
Seventy-five years later, two New York mixologists are doing what Don The Beachcomber might have done had rum cost more than 70 cents a quart back then ? creating exotic gin drinks as spellbinding and intricate as the Beachcomber?s ?Rum Rhapsodies.?
At the Manhattan speakeasy Death & Company, head bartender Brian Miller is mixing with gin the same way Don The Beachcomber mixed with rum: combining disparate brands together in the same drink, to create a dimensionalized base spirit that no single brand could offer. Brian?s latest experiment is called the Winchester, which he categorizes as ?basically a gin Zombie.?
Here?s the recipe:
1 oz Tanqueray gin
1 oz Hayden?s Old Tom gin
1 oz Martin Miller?s Westbourne Strength gin
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz fresh grapefruit juice
3/4 oz St-Germain elderflower liqueur
1/2 oz grenadine
1/4 oz ginger syrup
a dash of Angostura bitters

Shake with three ice cubes and strain into a Tiki mug filled with crushed ice.

Jump to Forum: