Print Thread
grilled pizza
ginny
am going to try this tomorrow.

http://www.detail...pizza.html

ginny

bbq

jkoll42
Good luck - let me know how it turned out. My oven and pizza are friends but my grill and pizza have not gotten along in the past.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JETROASTER
Alot depends on the grill.
I've got the last of the American made "Ducane" grills.
.....bakes like an oven.
What's the rig G? -Scott

ciel-007
It's difficult to prepare great pizza in a Kamado. If you happen to swing open the top prematurely, you will loose most of the heat above the crust. As a result, the crust may well burn before the cheese starts to bubble...
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ginny
I am gong to use my new Kamato grill.
just need to get the grill to the right temp.

I think it will be fine.

-g

party

troposcuba
Ginny, do yourself a favor and go get a pizza stone. I have a 3/4" thick piece of round granite (was intended to be a small table top) that I got while I lived in Turkey. I had to have an inch or so sawed off one side when I got here for it to fit in my oven. It lives there now. Takes a little longer than the oven to heat it up, but it is amazing for making bread or home made pizza (I was born in Italy, and lived there for several years as an adult two times since then as well, so my standards for pizza are pretty high). short of an actual wood fired brick oven, the pizza does not get much better. I have not tried it yet, but I am willing to bet that it would work really well on your Kamado! It does a good job of keeping the crust nice and crispy without burning and also distributing the heat really evenly.
Sean

ginny
Sean:

Thanks for the info; I have a stone that my sister sent me when she heard I got a
Kamado.

I was going to use my bread stone; the one I use in the oven for my
ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC, SOURDOUGH, COUNTRY ROUND...

did not have too since da sistah sent me a real deal pizza stone that is a perfect size.

I kind looked at the directions, then did what I wanted. cooking is look and feel for me...

check heat, adjust if needed otherwise enjoy the experience of new found joy!

I have made tons-o-mistakes in my BBQ experiments. this first pizza is just that but as usual at this time of day (read and after digging mounds for flood to save basement) I am starved so it could taste really bad...

since I know what's in/on it I will eat it anyway...

will let you guy's know.

where is stripe kitty when you need her???

I need a tiki cocktail for pizza...

-g

smoking

troposcuba
Ginny, funny you mention that. the wife just started her "sourdough pet" (the yeast creature that lives in a jar and serves as the sourdough starter) she calls it a pet since it has to be fed regurlarly and cared for. I just call it yummy. Actually you inspired me. I made pizza from scratch last night for dinner. some home made pesto with fresh basil from garden and white pizza with garlic infused olive oil on the dough before 4 cheeses and chicken and pesto. yum!
Sean

jedovaty

troposcuba wrote:

Ginny, do yourself a favor and go get a pizza stone.

I am going to take a moment to crawl out from under my rock and provide a counter point not to expect these stones to be holy grails from my own as well as that of two other's in my family experience. They may or may not work for you.

I've had no luck with a pizza stone***, resulting in either a soggy or burned mess.

Some of you may try to jump in and trouble shoot this to be kind, I appreciate it, but -- Ginny's thread isn't about trouble shooting, I've tried it all already, so keep on topic for her grilling pizza smile

End of out of rock moment, back to trying to figger out my Huky.

***(this should be teeny tiny fine print in order to avoid attention, but seems smallest is 12px) in case you must know, in any oven whether my mom's super duper fancy thingamaovenbob, my grills, or the cheapo oven that came with my condo, any kind whether marble or terra cotta, 1/4" or 1" thick for any kind of meal including breads, stable temps, pizzas, etc.

After trying everything and all recommendations on the internet, tv shows, books, and alien mental tele communications, I gave up and found the best way was always to use my appliances bare. Believe me, the three of us have tried it all! I would love to see one actually work in person and proved wrong!

troposcuba

jedovaty wrote:

troposcuba wrote:

Ginny, do yourself a favor and go get a pizza stone.

I am going to take a moment to crawl out from under my rock and provide a counter point not to expect these stones to be holy grails from my own as well as that of two other's in my family experience. They may or may not work for you.

I've had no luck with a pizza stone***, resulting in either a soggy or burned mess.

Some of you may try to jump in and trouble shoot this to be kind, I appreciate it, but -- Ginny's thread isn't about trouble shooting, I've tried it all already, so keep on topic for her grilling pizza smile

End of out of rock moment, back to trying to figger out my Huky.

***(this should be teeny tiny fine print in order to avoid attention, but seems smallest is 12px) in case you must know, in any oven whether my mom's super duper fancy thingamaovenbob, my grills, or the cheapo oven that came with my condo, any kind whether marble or terra cotta, 1/4" or 1" thick for any kind of meal including breads, stable temps, pizzas, etc.

After trying everything and all recommendations on the internet, tv shows, books, and alien mental tele communications, I gave up and found the best way was always to use my appliances bare. Believe me, the three of us have tried it all! I would love to see one actually work in person and proved wrong!

not tryin to be contrary, but mine is a 1" thick granite slab (not really intended to be a pizza stone. was meant to be a small table top. it is polished smooth on one side and rough cut on the other. the rough side is the one I use to cook). I put it in my gas oven cranked up to 500 and let it heat for a good hour or so while I make dough and all the fixings and sauce. Pizzas come out nice and crispy just like the wood fired brick oven pizzas I enjoyed in Italy while I lived there. It is not exactly what most would consider to be a pizza stone. That may be the key. not sure really. I have not tried it in the grill yet, but will eventually.
Sean

ginny
I am doing it again later today and will have camera ready with picture of before and after...

this, of course, depends on my keen ability to time this fab grilled pizza before or after the flash floods!!!

party

atalanta
So, do you soak these stones?

Sorry, ginny, been busy, but a good drink to go with pizza is beer. Or a shandy which is basically half beer and half really lemony/limey soda. It's popular in England and a brewery in Wisconsin came out with one this summer that was really good. https://leinie.co...mmershandy

ciel-007

ginny wrote:

I am doing it again later today and will have camera ready with picture of before and after...

party

Ginny, did you ever get around to taking before and after photos of pizzas grilled on your Kamado ?
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ginny
FYI, this thread is about grilling pizza and troubleshooting stones or?

wide open, do not fear about off posts etc.

yes I have a picture of my Kamado Pizza. I was fantastic but of course I must say that...

it really was. done it several times in the last year. each a new experience.

I will unearth it and post it here in a day or two. thanks for the reminder.

ginny

tiki

Jump to Forum: