Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
7 Hrs in KC!
jzuzphreek
hey y'all. I have 7 hrs to kill in Kansas City, MO tomorrow. I'm staying in Independence. I was hoping to take a whirlwind cafe/shave shop/fountain pen store tour. which cafes should I try? which should I avoid? time and distance really isn't a big deal.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

seedlings
You MUST contact The Roasterie and find out if a tour is available - used to be at 10am, and used to be free.

www.theroasterie.com

My experience the cafes are hit-and-miss, and I'm no help at all with shave/fountain shops.

Some of the cafes I've visited are no longer open. I liked the City Market Coffeehouse (they roast their own coffee), as well as the Broadway Cafe (Broadway Roasting Company) and Westport Coffee House.

All of these are near downtown Kansas City. City Market is just north, and the Westport area is a few miles south of downtown.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

jzuzphreek
man! I'm here now. they just started doing two tours on Saturdays. and the cafe at the roast facility is open now. I guess they just opened. so fascinating!! thanks for the tip. boutique to fto down the street to the WWI museum.
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

This is the beverage of the friends of God; it gives health to those in its service who strive after wisdom.

The intelligent man who empties these cups of foaming coffee, he alone knows the truth.

jzuzphreek
Ok, so I've finally had a shot of 'spro truly worthy of "writing home about." My experience at the Roasterie Saturday was incredible. I toured the facility with about 30 other people. Most were probably just coffee "lovers". And if there were any with homeroasting experience, they kept quite. Of course, I was full of questions, so much so that the tour guide asked if I would come on all his tours. woohoo

Knowing, and understanding the process of roasting coffee, I was much more interested in the actual operations of the facility. You know, supply chain, logistics, R&D, etc.

After the tour was over, I got to talk to a few of the other guests. Then hung around for some more coffee, and a chat with the Barista in the cafe about more atypical brew methods for some of their roasts. He told me the best shot he ever pulled in the Mypressi was their Ethiopian Yirg, and that it lent itself well to the Clever Dripper. So of course, after warning my wife I might... I bought both the Clever and a # of the Yirg. limb

Sitting in my desk at work, getting ready to try out the Clever for the first time ever! Wish me luck!

(Also, the WWI museum was TOP NOTCH! It ranks almost equal to the WWII museum here in New Orleans. I would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area)
Jessy

IN PRAISE OF COFFEE

Jump to Forum: