Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bunn LPG grinder
allenb
The latest grinder threads got me thinking about my Bunn LPG which is my all time favorite for non-espresso brewing. For some reason it's able to pull off a really clean and uniform grind while using what I think is a typical flat burr. It's been a while since I've had it apart.

Any other LPG owners out there? I'd like to hear if you've gotten decent results.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
LPG-2E here! I absolutely love it for drip. Very little fines. I also have a Wilbur Curtis that uses the Grindmaster burr set (which by the way is open for offers Grin)

The LPG really does produce a superior grind at the expense of some (but not a ton) of speed. It's definitely not going to take a rock like the grindmaster but man does it produce some great even particle sizes! When I started using it I did some blind cupping and there was a very noticeable increase in cup quality.

LOVE IT! jazzyhands
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb
Wow, that's a definite like! I was hoping I wasn't the only one with an LPG that performed well.

I had heard from somewhere years ago that Ditting had something to do with this grinder but could be mistaken.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
I can also attest to it being rather idiot resistant. In a pre 5am morning stupor I once poured water in the LPG instead of the Technivorm. I was unable to disassemble and dry until the evening (meetings I could not be late for) and it was like nothing happened!

Allen - do you ever adjust the grind or once you got it dialed in do you pretty much leave it alone?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

allenb

jkoll42 wrote:
Allen - do you ever adjust the grind or once you got it dialed in do you pretty much leave it alone?

Actually quite a bit between the press pot and drip or vac pot. I keep a trusty nickle handy.

I really wish I could do a mod to have a handle/knob with pointer instead of the slotted adjusting disc. I've had to learn how much to tweak one way or the other to end up close to the same grind size. Trying to see the arrow is a contortion exercise.

Allen

jkoll42

allenb wrote:

jkoll42 wrote:

Actually quite a bit between the press pot and drip or vac pot. I keep a trusty nickle handy.

I really wish I could do a mod to have a handle/knob with pointer instead of the slotted adjusting disc. I've had to learn how much to tweak one way or the other to end up close to the same grind size. Trying to see the arrow is a contortion exercise.

Allen

Lucky for me I only use it for drip. Espresso on the weekends and press pot camping (old kitchenaid) so no adjusting but it would be nice to have an easier way to adjust.

Sounds like you need this! www.harborfreight...-7361.html
Edited by allenb on 01/08/2013 9:26 PM
-Jon

allenb
Great idea! I've actually got some small mirrors from hobby lobby that would work perfect.

Now the gears are turning, Hmmm, gooseneck and telescopic permanently mounted to the side of the grinder body with cloth handy to de- grounds the glass.

Thanks,

Allen

jkoll42
Just remember if you are using a mirror then you have to turn the opposite way.... or turn the same way if you are standing on your head. Or something like that.
-Jon

Jump to Forum: