Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gas Fired 1 lb Fluidbed Build
allenb
Well, after sampling Jano's (jedovaty) coffee during the holiday swap roasted in his Huky gas fired drum roaster I had decided I must convert my 1 lb "easydrum" to gas fired. But, I had too many parts and pieces already in progress for building an asymmetrical gas fired 1 lb fluidbed using RoasterRob's RC design so I decided to finish out that project first.

The roaster is built into a stainless body from a previous project with only a few modifications to the sheet metal. It consists of the usual components including an oversised electrolux vac motor, camp stove mushroom burner (8K btus), small 3 amp staco variac for blower control, camp stove spark ignitor, pyrex "bakearound" glass RC tube with RoasterRob-designed asymmetrical perf plate glued to the bottom using high temp silicone adhesive.

I still need to come up with a viable chaff collector for the top of the RC or if not feasible I'll just recover exhaust/chaff through flexible aluminium ducting into a fan powered cyclone.

I've done 2 roasts so far and results are very good! Still playing with optimum bean temp sensor location.

I've put together several videos I'll post to be able to see the guts of the roaster.

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
Second vid

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
3rd

allenb
4th

allenb
5th

jedovaty
Outstanding! Incredible!
jedovaty attached the following images:
we_are_not_worthy.gif allhail.gif

allenb
6th

allenb
7th

allenb
Thanks Jano!

jedovaty
I bet I speak for everyone - may we see it in action?

RoasterRob
Hey Allen looks great. Let's see it roasting coffee. Best place for bean mass TC IMO is just below the top of the green level (obviously on the non perf side). Not as easy with a glass RC.

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

oldgearhead
Great project!
For chaff control you might try what works for me:
1) A 30 mesh screen (sink strainer from Lowes) at the top of the RC.
2) A 120 mesh screen (Nesco) to protect my blower inlet (suction side).

After the roast is cooled in the RC, I just remove the screen and vacuum
the chaff from the top of the beans.
oldgearhead attached the following image:
dsc_7372.jpg

No oil on my beans...

snwcmpr
That's a nice looking machine.
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Dan
Do you have problems with the flame blowing out or being disturbed by the airflow? If so, try a hurricane shield around the burner. Just perforate that tin can with small holes. They break up airflow.
1 pound electric sample roaster, 3 pound direct-flame roaster, both handmade; modified Mazzer Mini grinder, LaSpaziale Vivaldi II automatic espresso machine. When the electricity goes out I make vacpot coffee from beans ground on my Zassenhaus hand grinder, and heat the water with a teakettle on the gas range.

allenb
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Jano, I'll put together a vid of it roasting with the next roast.

Rob, on my second roast I had the tc about 1/2" above the static green level (bean return side) and gave me a 408 F start of first crack which isn't too far off. I'll try dropping lower on the next roast.

OGH, great idea on using the sink strainer and finer mesh secondary. I'll have to go browse the kitchen wares stores.

Dan, I had fears that the upflow would be murder on the flame stability but it's steady as a rock! I can ignite while beans are at normal lift and can turn it down to a barely visible flame with no flame-outs. I think the shape of the mushroom head burner is self protecting. So far, with the efficient heat exchange provided by Rob's perf layout, I've only had this small burner at maybe 2/3 rds output at any part of the roast.

I'll report back with live action soon!

Allen

JETROASTER
Bravo!!! Looking forward to seeing that combustion in action. Cheers! -Scott

allenb
Finally got around to more video action. Per request, here's vid of combustion chamber with flames:

Allen

RoasterRob
Hi Allen
How are you cooling/dumping?
Now while you've got the camcorder out throw some beans in it. BBQ grill

Rob
VBM Minimax 2gp, 1gp Reneka Techno, 2 gp la Pavoni Pub, la Cimbali M28, SJ Maz, FB 6kg HM roaster and other stuff

ginny
allen:

way cool, I want one. don't you need an old tester???

ginny

Roflmao

allenb
Ginny, if I need some additional testing it 's coming to you!

Here's some roasting action during the green state plus my bald head. Shock

allenb
Here's end of roast. My daughter ran off when the camera got too close.

allenb

RoasterRob wrote:

Hi Allen
How are you cooling/dumping?
Now while you've got the camcorder out throw some beans in it. BBQ grill

Rob

Rob,

I made the combustion chamber out of a tin can so there would be very little thermal mass. I'm able to cool in the RC and BT drops down to around 200F in 2 min.

To dump I just pull the two springs and lift the RC out of the well and tilt carefully. (I've almost broken the glass a few times now). I'll probably build a sheet metal RC pretty soon.

Allen

RoasterRob
Very cool, I assume cooling is done in the RC? I tend to roast with faster bean movement, not to say there is right or wrong way.

Rob

allenb
I've roasted with quite a bit more lift as well. Didn't notice much difference in the cup at least with this one. Yes, I cool in the RC and it's very fast luckily.

BTW Rob, thanks bunch for the help with the RC layout, works fantastic!

Allen

JETROASTER
Very nice! You're happy with the stability of the flame?

-Scott

Jump to Forum: