Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Super Automatic Espresso Machines
ginny
Sad, sad story,

my much loved Solis 5K is dying right before my eyes. this machine has given me 10 years of faithful service.

there have been a few little incidents in that time but a fix was always found and she continued to make the best cafe cremas ever...

if I sent it to Darrin at espresso source it will be around 500.00 bucks to repair since it needs a full clean, most likely new pump, rebuilt boiler and on into the night.

it's plastic and I am sure, regardless of how careful I am when I clean it the front door will break, the brew group will surely fail so I am really caught...

the bill to fix plus shipping both ways will be expensive for 10 year old machine.

I can take that money and put it into a new super automatic.

to repair or buy a new super auto...

does anyone out here have experience with a super auto they love.

I have La Valentina espresso machine but I love the way my Solis 5K makes my cafe cremas. plus it is a no fuss, no muss at 4am activity.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

ginny

rockon

Airhan
Sorry to hear your beloved machine is dying Ginny.

I don't have any experience with super-autos but I know www.seatlecoffeegear.com has lots of them with really detailed reviews.

They just posted this article about choosing a machine, It may be helpful for you:
http://blog.seatt...o-machine/
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

ginny
Airhan:

thanks so much for the read, very good article. they are great folks.

I have a semi auto espresso machine but at 4am I am one lazy woman...

my sister read my post at sea and is sending me a new Saeco. I do not know what it is but she says it is a super automatic...

ages ago I had one of their Magic super autos but it was lost in the move to the boonies.

I am delighted and cannot wait for my new addition.

ginny

join the Bean Swap 2013, we need you all in this.

party
Edited by ginny on 11/15/2013 4:50 PM

Barrie
Good luck with your Saeco, Ginny. After decades of messing around with a variety of machines, I moved to a Saeco Vienna Deluxe a while back, having become an only-espresso drinker. The motivation was catering to laziness, having become fed up with the whole process with a few semi-automatics., including the clean up routine. My daughter has another superautomatc model, and a friend yet another, both Saecos. Among the various positives about Saeco is their DIY literature for maintenance, and their telephone support.
For the doubting Thomases, I would agree that one is unlikely to get the best possible espresso from these machines but, once they are up and running, they can deliver a cup at 95 % (let's say) of perfection and do so rapidly and consistently with minimal effort. To me, that consistency was the key. Each to his/her own, I guess?
I have more recently moved on to a Jura Capresso but that is another story. BBQ grill
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ginny
Barrie:

I have had an early Saeco and liked it though not as well as I have loved my
Solis 5K.

Used a friends Jura and thought it was OK but to me it was not hot enough, the machine was older and not well cared for...

Should have my new Saeco this week.

Will let you know.

ginny

Barrie

ginny wrote:

Barrie:

Used a friends Jura and thought it was OK but to me it was not hot enough, the machine was older and not well cared for...

Should have my new Saeco this week.

Will let you know.

ginny

My Jura has two features that cater to water temperature - an initial 'rinsing' when it is first turned on, during which hot water is ejected and cleans out any old coffee residue in the line, as well as heating it; then there is a temperature adjustment for the water. The coffee is steaming hot but I don't remember the temp. HIGH is the default setting.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

boar_d_laze

ginny wrote:

I had an early Saeco and liked it though not as well as I have loved my
Solis 5K.

Something's making sense. The Solis 5000 is famous for doing a very good cafe crema.
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

gracejkeller
I hope you like your Saeco more and more as the days pass but I really wanted to recommend the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine. It seems like everything you would want. I love machines that do it all so this http://www.dailyc...lver-black was a no-brainer. Though I did compare a lot of machines at Daily Cuppa Coffee and learned a lot about choosing a machine from here: http://www.dailyc...machine-ii. If you ever have the opportunity to buy one again, you know where to start looking.

JETROASTER
The super-autos make up the bulk of what I drink. A really solid cup of coffee, very good espresso....not perfect, but very good. Did I mention easy? They froth better than they steam, but well enough...I seldom use the feature.

I've got a Miele CVA4070 at work and one at home. I also have the Miele CM5 at work. The brew unit and grinder are the same on both models. They both brew the same, but the smaller unit requires more frequent filling, dumping, etc. ...and a little less control over dosing and brew temps.

The smaller CM5 is somehow related to KRUPS, but clearly some better components inside.

For me, the thing that sets Miele apart is the serviceability. These are repairable! Some of the other brands seem like a black-hole when you're searching for parts.

The downside; Miele is only represented by their existing dealer network, with one exception; William Sonoma (for the CM5)

Their exposure in the world of coffee is non-existent. Miele's coffee machines are primarily sold by appliance dealers only.

Great quality, really awful marketing. Cheers, -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following images:
cva4070.jpg cm5.jpg

ginny
Thanks for the input Scott.

I looked at the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic but for almost twice the price for a machine that was almost identical I bought the Saeco Intuita at Costco for 399.00.

The watts are 1850 on the Saeco and only 1400 on the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic. They are essentially made the same if you look at them. Gaggia and Saeco are owned by the Saeco parent company.

My Solis 5K I plan to take apart and fix myself at a fraction of the cost of shipping up north for overhaul.

Spending 1 or 2K on a new super auto was not something I wanted to do at this time.

The Saeco is a great little machine, I say little because it has a much smaller footprint then my Solis.

The cup is excellent so far. I run a few blanks through with water only to get the temp up when it's first turned on in the morning.

I am very pleased with the Saeco from the standpoint of it's price point, it was a smoking deal at 399.

It does everything my Solis did extremely well.

ginny

beach

mary26
I know it's hard to part with a 10-year friend who has served you well but there are a lot of good machines out there - and it's time for an upgrade! I love my Delonghi espresso maker. Makes the perfect latte or cappuccino! I hope you find what you're looking for!

ginny
update:

I have decided on the Miele 5K as a replacement for my old Solis 5K.

earlier:

well the Saeco is history in this house...

locked in some loop and refuses to release itself; the tech's are ZERO help so
in a box it goes and back to Costco no questions asked.

so I am back to needing to replace my 13 year old Solis 5K and have decided on the

Jura-Capresso Impressa C5 Super Automatic or the

Miele CM5000 Espresso Machine

and at this time I am leaning toward the Miele CM5000

and Scott how is the bean grinder? does it grind fine enough?

thanks for any and all comments.

ginny

roar
Edited by ginny on 03/03/2014 10:35 AM

JETROASTER
Hi G
The grinder is the same as in the larger built in units. I believe the burr is metal, and it grinds against a ceramic mate. The ceramic keeps the burr sharpened!( I've got a call into tech servs to confirm) It does a really uniforn grind. I have mine set about half-way through the grind range. It makes a fine americano. I could grind finer if needed.
I think it is a great machine for at home use. At the shop, with 3 or 4 people using it, it is alot of refilling...dumping the drip tray, etc.

This unit probably has about 2000 servings thru it...no problems.
I'll post when i hear back from tech.
Cheers, -Scott

ginny
Scott:

thanks, I just pulled the manual off line and ll looks great. this is the closest to my Solis 5K which was also Swiss made...

be here in about 2 weeks as it is vendor shipped from WS, even with shipping the cost is still under that of other places by a couple hundred bucks...

am delighted and thanks for your help.

ginny

Barrie
Best wishes for the new machine, Ginny. Very exciting! I was intrigued to see the price difference between WS and others including Amazon. Would not have predicted that.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

ginny
Barrie:

I was surprised as well and even with paying shipping cost from it's still 200/300 bucks cheaper. this machine did not qualify for the free ship since its coming from the vendor.

I was really torn between the Jura and the Miele but after reviewing the manuals for both came to the conclusion that the Miele was the closest to my much loved and long, long lasting Solis 5K.

I will let you know and post some pictures in another two weeks.

thanks for the post Barrie.

ginny

rockon

JETROASTER
As it happens, I have a CM5 in for repair. Code "73". The brew drive assy is not returning to proper position.
I ordered a new drive (under warranty) I suspect the problem is lack of proper cleaning.
I got the same code once in a while on the larger cva4070, but it always reset without issue.
I'll save the old drive assy to confirm the issue. So far, it seems that with regular cleaning, these things are very reliable.

Another note; The CM5 does not know how much coffee is in the hopper. It only senses the tamp pressure in the brew unit. If it senses low tamp pressure, it assumes you are low on beans. ....not good for the Starbucks/oily bean users.
The beans don't drop into the grinder properly....they're too sticky!!
Not likely a problem for you....just a random technical note.

Looking forward to the un-packing! Cheers, -Scott
JETROASTER attached the following image:
brew_drive.jpg

Barrie
After selling my (reconditioned) Saeco Vienna Plus about two years ago, i bought my (reconditioned) Jura Capresso. Right away, there was a problem in that a medallion on the back, with the company logo, kept falling off. Horrors! Shock
They replaced the whole machine immediately, and it has delivered at least 8 or 10 shots a day since then, more when we have visitors. I follow the maintenance schedule and it behaves. That is the good news. The bad news is that you are not required to get at the brew group or any other interior part, so DIY repairs could be a problem.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)

ginny
H guys:

well tomorrow late day I will have my new Miele CM 5K.

I cannot wait; a week plus with garbage for coffee, no espresso or cafe cremas, what a horrid time it has been.

I will post as soon as I push the button on a cafe crema.

ginny

beach

Airhan
I hope it exceeds your wildest expectations Ginny! To bad it won't be there in the AM to get your morning started.
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

JETROASTER
I would not recommend unpacking without caffiene in your system.
There may be the water-hardness setting that has to be determined. There is the initial fill sequence....and having to adjust to a new set of controls.
I'll be digging into a CM5 tomorrow to change a component, I'll get some pics of all the inner workings.
Enjoy!! -Scott

ginny
arrived 30 minutes ago and I have pulled 3 cafe cremas to toss...

already

all set up was easy but it skipped the water hardness, never showed up and their strip makes no sense...

I will call them tomorrow to see if I can reset/set the water hardness.

I love this design, beautiful.

form follows function, lovely machine. if Apple made a super auto espresso it would be like this Miele...

if I had an espresso in the afternoon I would test now but I cannot do it.

this machine has it all and it feels real.

Scottie, thanks for the information you gave to me about this super auto; I am thrilled with this baby...

ginny

roar

ginny
Miele CM K Super Automatic thoughts:

Great machine, extremely well built, yes case is plastic but this is a very high grade
that is used on this machine, it does have some nice stainless add ons that simply make the machine look very cool...

I like the design of this CM 5K very much and it is SOLID. All arts are easy to access for cleaning.

I do believe that this is a superior machine to my much loved Solis 5K that was used for 12 plus years. The main reason is simply that I have many choices with this Miele that I did not have on my Solis 5K.

My Solis had limited choices for preparing my cafe cremas or for a simple cup of Joe...

With the Miele I have brew temperature, serving size, bean by-pass ability, this also come with a lovely stainless cappuccinatore for frothing and heating milk and the burr grinder is excellent. So clearly more choices.

Very straight forward and easy to dial in what you want with the digital control panel is right in front.

Price pint I feel was very good. I paid 1K for my Solis 5K and this was a 1299 plus shipping so for not much more I have a lot more machine. Clearly in the last decade these Super Autos have come a long way. Compared to the other Super Autos out there there is a lot of bang for the buck with this Miele CM 5K.

The cafe cremas were super this morning, hot enough, crema just right. I am sure I will tweak here and there for testing with different beans for my espresso and simply serving the rest of the household cups of coffee. They still buy Folgers instant if you can believe it...

For me this was the right choice.

ginny

party
Edited by ginny on 03/13/2014 11:52 AM

JETROASTER
Glad you're enjoying it!! You'll have it dialed-in soon enough.

I'm working on a CM5 right now. It seems like the not-so-clever consumer took the brew assembly apart....maybe to clean, then reassembled incorrect.

Cheers

Max Heatgun
Here's a sneek peek inside the CM5. "Authorized Use Only"

-Max
Max Heatgun attached the following images:
heater_drive.jpg upper_plus_grinder.jpg

Jump to Forum: