Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
2013 Holiday Bean Swap
ginny
I must get my butt in gear ad send Rich his beans...

thanks for the updates guys.

ginny

smoking

allenb

RAG wrote::

Allen,
Sent one roasted one green Ethiopia Dry-Process Yirga Cheffe Konga. Should arrive by Thursday.

Thanks,
Rich

Included roast profile for critique. Public flogging has been approved for this roast.;-]

No flogging allowed unless it's a french roast. Shock

Yours has been dropped off at the post office as well as of 9:45 am this morning mountain time (priority mail). I think everyone else in Colorado must have been at the same post office as me!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

RAG

Yours has been dropped off at the post office as well as of 9:45 am this morning mountain time (priority mail). I think everyone else in Colorado must have been at the same post office as me!

Allen

Busiest day of the year at the Post Office... fyi for the feint of heart.

rick carter
snwcmpr,

I was finally able to get your coffee mailed out today. Am I the last one?

Guatemala La Viuda Evelia
Kenya Nyeri Tegu AB

Enjoy and happy holidays!

rick

snwcmpr
Even if you were, that's not a problem.
I am excited to get home roasted from someone other then me.
Yahoo for this group!!!!

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
no Rick, your not the last one - I am always the last one.

mine goes out tomorrow but I could throw it to California.

hahahha

-g

christmas tree

boar_d_laze
Standing by, ready to catch.

BDL
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

rick carter
got my package from snwcmpr today.

Harrar and El Sal

I brewed the Harrar first (duh) and it is excellent! so complex and interesting. I'm finding these flavors in the cup with more to notice:

dry grounds
berry
cinnamon toast
graham cracker

cup
light leather
lemon candy
sweet tobacco
milk chocolate

very tasty and interesting!

Really really fine roast Ken, Thanks!

snwcmpr
Wow, what kind things to say.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

rick carter
it was a very good roast Ken

pouring

allenb
Found a very aromatic package on my doorstep this afternoon. After opening the package I had chocolate and blueberries all over the house, wow! So I immediately measured out around 11 grams of Rich's Yirgacheffe Konga and did a traditional cupping of it. Dry fragrance was off the chart cuban cigar, dark chocolate and blueberries. Wet aroma was similar but with much more intensity.

Taste did not disappoint and produced what the aroma told me it should cup like.
Very intense chocolate and blueberry notes with a super rich syrupy body.

Another nice thing about the roast was the total absence of astringency which some Yirgs display if rushed after first crack.

Rich, thanks for an excellent holiday swap coffee to enjoy through my time off!

christmas tree
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

RAG
Allen,
Thanks much for the kind words and assessment (although I'm not sure cigar in coffee is a good thing). I'm going to go roast some more and see if I can taste any of that.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I might roast this batch differently?

Some people have a Symphony of taste buds to access with, I think I got a recorder.
Thanks,
Rich

ginny
Sent out coffee this morning to Rich.

I think he will enjoy it and if not he will clearly let me know.

g

christmas tree

snwcmpr

Some people have a Symphony of taste buds to access with, I think I got a recorder.

I have a Kazoo!!!

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

allenb

RAG wrote:

Allen,
(although I'm not sure cigar in coffee is a good thing).

Do you have any suggestions as to how I might roast this batch differently?

Rich, no cigar ended up in the tasting, only aroma/fragrance which is not a negative and I find this in many African coffees. The cigar aroma reference is not a lit cigar but is walking into a humidor with lots of fine high end cigars on the shelves which to me is a wonderful sensory experience.

Suggestions? To me, at the roast level you hit, I wouldn't have any idea how it could be improved but for a variation, I would take it a bit lighter to add some additional acidity for more of that Ethiopian wine-like character.

Oh, thanks for the bag of unroasted Yirg as well!

Allen

ginny
my car smells so good I would sleep out there buts it too darn cold..

got a big box from BDL and if smells are any indication, I am in love.

ginny

roar

boar_d_laze
"... and as she fell past the third floor window she was heard to say, 'So far, so good.'"

BDL
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

ginny
you bet BDL...

I sucked out the beans I had in my superauto and filled it with the wonderful blend
and about 3AM tomorrow I will enjoy...

ginny

7th floor coming...

woohoo

rick carter
So Allen, rich, or anyone else what pointers might you pass a long for that konga?

My very first batch came out pretty nice but they have been getting progressively worse, lol!

I stretched everything and was very gentle on the first one,6 min dry, 10:30 FC, 13:45 drop just at the edge of SC. Just lucky I guess because try as I may I can't hit those results again even with the same apparent profile. The hints of blueberry are there and some c hoc plate but mostly just a jumbled brown flavor that is slightly fermented :(

Any pointers appreciated!

RAG

rick carter wrote:
..... a jumbled brown flavor that is slightly fermented :(

That is a flavor note I recognize ;-]

I am a new roaster but I believe Allen has the key, keep it light. Verge of 2nd crack really looses a lot of flavor but maybe more appealing to the masses. That bean packs a lot of notes if you keep it light.

That is my novice opinion.

Good luck.

rick carter
LOL, it's a flavor I know all too well.

Thanks for the suggestion. SM recommends city + to full city so that's why i tried to hit the edge of sc.

allenb

rick carter wrote:

So Allen, rich, or anyone else what pointers might you pass a long for that konga?

My very first batch came out pretty nice but they have been getting progressively worse, lol!

I stretched everything and was very gentle on the first one,6 min dry, 10:30 FC, 13:45 drop just at the edge of SC. Just lucky I guess because try as I may I can't hit those results again even with the same apparent profile. The hints of blueberry are there and some c hoc plate but mostly just a jumbled brown flavor that is slightly fermented :(

Any pointers appreciated!

Rick,

Join the club! I brewed both of the coffees sent to Rich (RAG), one yesterday and one today and neither hit where they should have. Both were missing the notes that I'm accustomed to tasting and left them a little flat. I could also pick it up in the dry aroma. The roast profiles were almost dead on what I was doing before so go figure.

Sorry Rich Shock

Allen

boar_d_laze
Ginny, I'm thinking that blend ought to be drinkable at day fie or six (today, IIRC), but I'd expect some harshness. It should sweeten out by around day eight or nine.

Rich (BDL)
CookFoodGood

Lawnmowerman
Airhan I just finished off the rwanda you sent me and it was nothing short of amazing! Although the roasted were prabably a little too far advanced, upon roasting the 500grams green: wowee! Ive never had sm beans before to roast and it was a real pleasure. The way the beans expanded was simply eye-popping! More than three times expanded from green. Im not very good at drscribing flavors but i was quite impressed! Also Im pleased to here that you enjoyed the png I sent you. I beleive yours was probably of higher quality than where i get mine in general and if i had any doubts about sweet marias there is certainly no room for that now. Thanks again!ThumbsUp
Bad coffee prevails when good coffee roasters stand by and do nothing.

jkoll42
Well, after finishing off all of Bodka's roast I actually got the time to roast his! Probably the last person in the swap but what are you gonna do.

Enjoyed pulling shots from Bodka/s roast - first off I was extremely happy to open a bag of espresso blend and not have Exxon Valdez oil slick beans! It was a light roast and the pulls were bright but not bracing and very enjoyable straight. Thanks Bodka!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: