Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
2013 Holiday Bean Swap
rick carter
snwcmpr,

The El Sal was very nice also!

Mandarin orange acidity that was light and shone around the edges.
a nice cocoa center with just the right sweetness and an undertone of aromatic wood, a very enjoyable roast that alas, is all gone smile

Thanks so much!

you did a stellar job on both roasts.

I think you got the better end of this deal !

snwcmpr
Wow Rick, that is nice.
I am not in a place to get much feedback on my roasts unless I send it somewhere. I can get a bit here, locally, from a couple of places, but, I am not very good at defining tastes.
I did believe these, that I sent you, to be what I call 'good' or 'very good', and am very glad you enjoyed them both.
I think that is why we roast, to pull the most enjoyment of coffee from these beans as possible.

Cheers for a very happy holiday season,
Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

snwcmpr
I got the pkg today.
It is way too busy with 4 grandkids today, so I will bring out my kazoo tomorrow and play the music.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

rick carter
4 grandkids and Christmas!

what a joy! My package can wait.

I have 3 kids ages 11 months(B), 3 years(B), and 7 years(G).

the two older kids can sing Frank Sinatra's "The Coffee Song" without missing a thing, they even carry the tune pretty well.

It's so great! LOL!

RAG
Just received Allen's shipment. My wife caught me walking round with my nose in the bag of Costa Rica roast. Smells great. Hope to taste it this pm.

So we both sent about the same coffee, at the same time, the same priority and shipper.(2 day delivery) I get mine 4 days later than you. USPS. I guess I should have given the post man a Christmas present. She's not getting one now.

Thanks,
Rich

snwcmpr
My 2 grand kids are in Indiana. We have 6 total.
This is a small cabin, if you can imagine ... it is filled tonight to the rafters.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Ken
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

boar_d_laze
I received 2, nicely bagged, foil/valve bags of coffee from Ginny yesterday. Their origins are so far unidentified. Sent an SOS to Ginny, and we hope they are in her notes.

We tried the first today.

Brew method: Chemex + Kone; 60g coffee, 1kg water at 200F

Dominant taste: "Coffee." Very, very much coffee.
Acidy notes: Subtle, hard to identify
Bitter/sour: Very slightly bitter. Pleasantly so. NO sourness.
Acridity, smoke, or other unpleasant notes: None.

Good morning coffee. Excellent coffee to introduce someone to specialty coffee. I'd be ecstatic if it were served to me in a restaurant for breakfast OR after dinner.

I expect that vac brewing will bring out it's best points better than pour-over, press or espresso. I'll try espresso and vac tomorrow.

Overall: Pleasant and straightforward. Sophisticated.

Rich
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

ginny
Rich:

The white bag was the Ethiopia Dry-Process Chelelektu Yirga Cheffe from Sweet Maria and it was roasted FC + as you know; it fell apart a bit too and I have never had that happen even at a FC roast.

I kept some and got some citrus and chocolate...

The silver bag I need to go back in my stash book and look.

gin

rockon

snwcmpr
I am sorry it has taken so long to reply.

I got 2 coffees from Rick. Both are excellent.
Kenya Nyeri Tegu AB ("The edge of city +")
Guatemala Huehuetenango La Viuda Estate (City)

We are not very proficient at identifying what we call the 'nuances' in the coffee we drink, so please excuse my inability to explain how really good these coffees were. (Yes, they are gone)

The grounds exploded with aroma and the bloom gave notice of things to come.

We did have a few words.

The Kenyan had an unusual, very pleasant, taste to me. I could not name it, but my wife said spice and cherry. The body, mouth feel and after taste were wonderful.

The Guat was also excellent. But again we are limited in words. Nikki was surprised at how much she loved this central. She usually doesn't.

I do know an excellent cup of coffee, and these are. Rick did a great job of pulling the pleasure out of these beans.

The Holiday Swap was a winner for me.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

rick carter
Ken,

Thanks for the kind remarks!

I'm glad you enjoyed the roasts.

No worries on the time to respond, it's the Holidays and the most important aspect is relaxing with family.

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous New Year!

Jump to Forum: