Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Poppery II mod issues
James211
So I did the mod on my poppery II and now I can't seem to get the same amount of heat as I did before. In fact I can't even get to 200 degrees. Any thoughts?

JackH
What did you use as a guide for the modification? What are you using to control the heater?

When I built my Poppery II roaster, I used this guide:
http://popperyii....i-mod.html
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
I used the same guide.

I tried two things with the heater, one with no switch or control, just plugging into the wall, and the other with the router controller. I had the same results with both.

JackH
Hi James,

Are you certain that the popper worked correctly (heated at full power) before the mods? I would double check the wiring and make sure the thermostat is bypassed.

The fan should always be on at some minimum level to prevent the heating element from burning out.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
Absolutely sure! I roasted a few batches without the mod and measured the temp, which reached almost 400 without the mod.

JackH
Hi James,
The next thing to check is a resistance measurement across the unplugged AC cable going to the heater with a multimeter. Hopefully you have one.

The measurement should read a very small resistance, maybe under 10 Ohms. I am working from memory and I can go and check my Poppery II to verify.

EDIT: I checked my Poppery II and it reads 12 Ohms.
Edited by JackH on 01/25/2014 6:39 PM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
Just to be sure I did this right. I turned my multi-meter to 2k ohm, put a probe on each of the prongs on the ac cable going to the heater. When I do that I get .06

JackH
It seems that you are connected to the secondary heating coil only.

Make sure that the metal strip arms are not bent. When you removed the small bi-metal disc, it allows the metal arms to connect and complete the connection to the main heater. If it is not connected, only the secondary heater will be active.

I have attached a photo with arrows. if you measure the arrow locations with the meter, it should be 0 Ohms.
JackH attached the following image:
popperyii.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
That was the issue...any advice on getting it back to normal.

JackH
You will have to move the green wire to where the bottom arrow is pointing in the photo. Hopefully there is metal place there you can solder to. This will bypass the thermal switch completely.

I may have done that with mine too. I would have to open it to see.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JackH
Did that work? It may help others doing this modification.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
It definitely did! Now if only my motor hadn't decided to freeze up today. Shock

JackH
You might want to check and see the fan is not binding mechanically against the case. Spin it by hand. Otherwise, It sounds like the motor is blown.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
No, its straight up shot. Is the motor on the poppery 1 better than the motor on the 2? Trying to decide if I should buy another popper or go with a nesco or fresh roast. Any thoughts?

Airhan
"Better" is very relative. "User friendly" might be a better descriptor of the poppery I. The motor in the poppery I runs off 120v AC (what comes out of your wall outlet) unlike the poppery II which needs 25V DC. The Poppery I is user friendly because a transformer isn't necessary when you split apart the fan and motor to get more control.

Does that make it better? Perhaps.
Aaron
"Grind it like it did you some great injustice!"D.L.Clark

JackH
I have heard that the Poppery I is a better mechanical design. It is also difficult to find them.

You can either buy another Poppery II and mod it again, or spring for a small roaster like the GC or freshroast. You could also look into building the Bread machine/heat gun roaster.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
Whats the GC? What is your opinion on the options? I've read good things about the freshroast other than most people believe the fan isn't strong enough.

zombie girl
can you please post a picture of this roaster you have and are working on?

thanks,

zc

tiki
How to post Photos, Videos?
Please visit the Homeroasters Forum How To section here:

http://www.homero...?cat_id=16

James211
I have the poppery ii and the motor locked up.

edit NO need to quote post directly above your response... zc
Edited by ginny on 01/28/2014 12:31 PM

ginny
I know that I simply asked if you could post a picture. Many have NO idea
what you are talking about.

if you cannot fine.

zc

limb

JackH

James211 wrote:

Whats the GC? What is your opinion on the options? I've read good things about the freshroast other than most people believe the fan isn't strong enough.

Sorry for using the shorthand name. It is the Gene Cafe and here is a link that describes it:
http://www.sweetm...-2021.html

I don't have any experience with these store bought roasters. They seem to be popular but expensive.

Maybe someone can give you a better idea of whats available.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

James211
Well, I just found a brand new poppery 1 on ebay, should be here by end of week. I'm going to give it a try and see what I can figure out. The motor on those seem to be a bit more robust from what I've read.

Just need to source some new parts.

JackH
I am glad you were able to find one. For the Poppery I build and modification information check out this post:

http://forum.home...ead_id=270

He probably goes further than I would with PID control, etc, but most of it can be used for the basic setup.

Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

zombie girl
James211:

thanks for you response...
I appreciate your courtesy.

woohoo

zc
How to post Photos, Videos?
Please visit the Homeroasters Forum How To section here:

http://www.homero...?cat_id=16

James211
I'll post some pics of my setup later, I'm working at the moment.

Jump to Forum: