Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What was YOUR worst batch of Greens...?
threwitallaway
So, As some may know from my past posts I am looking for some decent Yemen. Rather that just do the sensible thing and order from Sweet Maria's, I went in search of Yemen on the WWWeb. Found a company in Tampa, FL that has Yemen Matari, so I ordered a pound and a few other coffees to test them out.

The 1# bag I got was loaded -in my opinion- with Frankenbeans! I picked through the coffee and pulled the worst offenders. (see photos) I don't think this is characteristic of a Yemen coffee but I could be wrong. I don't remember my Roastmasters order of Yemen looking anything like this. I think what is being sold here is what was swept up from on the floor after the regular orders of properly inspected coffee have gone out! Think I'll stick with SM or another reputable vendor for the Yemen from now on.

How about others on this forum? What are some of your worst bean purchases. You don't have to name the company, just the coffee and the issues you had.

-nate
threwitallaway attached the following images:
frankenbeans_2.jpg frankenbeans_1.jpg

Randy G
The worst batch of green I ever had is a tie:
1 - Some natural processed (fremented?) Ethiopian that I tried to roast three different ways. It tasted like it smelled after roasting, and the roasted smell was the same as in the green state, and that was just nasty. The seller, respected and with whom I had purchased from for a few years said that was how the natural processed coffee was. I will never buy naturally processed coffee again. I ended up tossing the remainder of the green in the trash.

2 - Some very old Yemen Mocha- the "old school" real stuff. When it was still good it was amazingly chocolaty. It was old when the roaster got it in a bulk buy of a stack from the corner of the warehouse deal. By the third year there was a bog or two left. It had turned sort of yellow and was a bit soft as I remember. I tried to roast some. barely heard first. Second was virtually non-existent. But the flames when the beans ignited upon ejection were quite real.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

JackH

Randy G wrote:

The worst batch of green I ever had is a tie:
1 - Some natural processed (fremented?) Ethiopian that I tried to roast three different ways. It tasted like it smelled after roasting, and the roasted smell was the same as in the green state, and that was just nasty. The seller, respected and with whom I had purchased from for a few years said that was how the natural processed coffee was. I will never buy naturally processed coffee again. I ended up tossing the remainder of the green in the trash.

Randy, I had the same experience with a natural processed Ethopian a couple of years ago. Everyone was raving about it and the fruit flavors. All I could smell was fermented coffee bean juice in the greens, after roasting and ground, disgusting! I think these processes mask/ruin the bean's true flavors and I avoid them too.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Ringo
I love a good natural, no ferment nice fruit. A bad natural gets really bad. I Got one Ethiopian natural from another forum site not GCBC and not HR. This stuff had rocks tiny beans and ferment really bad. I ended up roasting it really dark and giving it away at work. They liked it. I stopped going to that site.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

kingkml1
So, As some may know from my past posts I am looking for some decent Yemen. Rather that just do the sensible thing and order from Sweet Maria's, I went in search of Yemen on the WWWeb. Found a company in Tampa, FL that has Yemen Matari, so I ordered a pound and a few other coffees to test them out.

The 1# bag I got was loaded -in my opinion- with Frankenbeans! I picked through the coffee and pulled the worst offenders. (see photos) I don't think this is characteristic of a Yemen coffee but I could be wrong. I don't remember my Roastmasters order of Yemen looking anything like this. I think what is being sold here is what was swept up from on the floor after the regular orders of properly inspected coffee have gone out! Think I'll stick with SM or another reputable vendor for the Yemen from now on.

How about others on this forum? What are some of your worst bean purchases. You don't have to name the company, just the coffee and the issues you had.

-nate Yemen is my new favorite. I have been getting them from the coffee project. One of them is pretty pricey if...you can find it in stock. It was pretty good but I didn't notice a great deal of difference from the cheaper Yemens to warrant the higher cost.

nothing to quote...

Omega
I haven't had any beans that I needed to throw out, but there have been some coffees that I really didn't enjoy as much as very good coffee. I won't name the sellers of the not so great beans, but I will say that I've been more than satisfied with all of my purchases from Happy Mug > http://www.happym...ee.com/en/

Barry

JETROASTER
Vietnamese...hands down the worst. I was looking for some high caffeine robusta. I certainly found it. Awful.
The best batch tasted like burning tires.
-Scott

Jump to Forum: