renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,212
Newest Member: eximwind

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
BellaTaiwan XJ-101 1Kg Gas Roaster
ciel-007
BellaTaiwan XJ-101 1Kg Gas Roaster

Barrie wrote:

... I see from the HB forum that Fern (Ciel-007) is moving on to a larger-capacity semi-pro roaster. He has made tremendous contributions to our information database as he has explored the possibilities with his HT, and I do hope we will continue to see his writings from time-to-time...

Barrie, after cracking through several hundred pounds of greens with my modified Hottop, I felt ready to graduate to a larger roaster. Given my increasing needs, I found roasting with a Hottop was constrained by small batch size and limited power. As you know, I spent a lot of time and energy trying to address those limitations (see "Enhancing my Hottop" series). In the end, there simply were too many constraints standing in the way of what this amazing "Home Roaster" could deliver. Let me be absolutely clear - the Hottop is capable of roasting some of the finest pulls I have ever had in my life... including those enjoyed during my travels around the globe.

Over the past year, I have been looking at larger roasters. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I was presented with an opportunity to buy a used Bella Taiwan XJ-101 roaster. It is about 5 years old, and is propane fired. As far as I can tell, the BellaTW XJ-101, the Yang Chia 801N, and the Feima 801N are identical roasters. Following the favorable comments received from members at Home Barista, I took the plunge and bought the XJ-101.

Now begins the steep learning curve that will eventually lead to mastering this unfamiliar fossil-fuelled beast. Time will tell if the XJ-101 is capable of better roasts than my amazing Hottop... it may be some time before I succeed in equaling them.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ciel-007
Bella Taiwan XJ-101
ciel-007 attached the following images:
1-bella_xj-101_hb1.jpg 2-bella_xj-101_hb2.jpg

Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Barrie
I will enjoy reading your reports, Fern, as will many others. Bound to be interesting! My only comment so far is - Holy smoke! Probably relevant?
Congratulations and good luck. It is already clear from HB that you have made a lot of people jealous by finding a used one in good shape. Saves a lot of hassles, as well as the dollars.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

allenb
This is one beautiful roaster! I'm just a little jealous to say the least.
OTOH, I think I can get over it if you promise to post lots of detailed notes on operation, tips/tricks learned as you learn to soar with this baby.

I've had the pleasure of cupping a few roasts from Henry Chang's mini 500 which from what I'm understanding is a close relative of your Bella XJ-101. The coffee was off the chart outstanding!

Nice find!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Barrie
Fern, is a new avatar in the works? Grin
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

ciel-007
This is in reply to Turtle who inquired (in another post) about my experiences with the new gas roaster.

Mick, the BellaTaiwan XJ-101 is by far the easiest roaster (following the Gene Cafe & Hottop) that I have ever used. Simply put, manual roasting with the XJ-101 is blissful. The precision and build quality are such that the BellaTaiwan will easily outlast/outlive this HRO member. Most importantly the quality of the roasts that the XJ-101 produces is consistently "outstanding".

Cheers, Ciel

ginny
Ciel:

I am thrilled that you are happy with you newest roaster. It looks like an amazing unit.

I would love to see a few more pictures of your setup and I am sure others would as well.

Your posts are always of interest and I miss them Ciel...

warmest regards,

ginny

rockon

SmokNmirz
Fern, when you were looking for the Bella Taiwan Roaster did you consider the 800N, which I believe is the mini500??
L-1p, HG-1-motorized, Monolith Flat, (ordered) mini500Plus.

If whatever you do does not put a smile on your face then rethink what you are doing.

ciel-007

SmokNmirz wrote:

Fern, when you were looking for the Bella Taiwan Roaster did you consider the 800N, which I believe is the mini500??

Hi Stephen. I was very fortunate in finding a used XJ-101 BT for sale within a few kilometers from my home. I had never heard of BT before. However, as soon as I saw the XJ-101, I was amazed by the functional design, the high quality of the parts, and the exceptional craftsmanship.

The XJ-101 is a bigger (and much heavier) machine than the 800N (or Mini500). One advantage with owning an 800N for home use lies in the fact that it can be moved around much more easily than the XJ-101.

I would expect that the craftsmanship of the 800N is comparable to that of the XJ-101. Further, I would expect that the roasts from either machine are virtually identical ? in other words, roasts that are nothing short of "outstanding".

Fern

turtle
Where have you been hiding?

My B panel died and I tossed out all the mods and did a B2-K+ upgrade.

Nice bit of kit both my mods were better than the new product. Cost to do the "return to factory" machine were about the same as all of the bits to keep things the same
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Jump to Forum: