Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Roaster is Ready to ship
ciel-007

ginny wrote:

... I have been waiting as well for this roaster. We may be auctioning one off in a while if all works out.
Jonas and I have spoken, he and his team have truly created a fantastic home machine.

Thanks Ginny, that's really exciting.
Has Jonas suggested a tentative delivery date?

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ginny
Ciel:

sorry I have no idea when that will be but from the chatter I hear, soon...

-g

cross fingers

ciel-007

ginny wrote:

... from the chatter I hear, soon...

Cool!

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

MerlinWerks

ciel-007 wrote:

ginny wrote:

... I have been waiting as well for this roaster. We may be auctioning one off in a while if all works out.
Jonas and I have spoken, he and his team have truly created a fantastic home machine.

Thanks Ginny, that's really exciting.
Has Jonas suggested a tentative delivery date?

Ciel

The pre-order form states 7/1/2015 as the target date, subject to change in the event of unforeseen circumstances. That is for the pre-order machines, I did not see any mention of when they expect general public sales.

frachlitz

ciel-007 wrote:

A couple of numbers caught my eye, and I am curious about them. The specs state that the Roast Capacity is 1Kg, while the Daily Capacity is 3Kg.
Might that possibly be a misprint? If not, the specs suggest that the Bullet may not be designed to roast (at capacity) more than three times on a given day.

I am pretty sure that i can roast more than 3 kg a day. I think the 3kg a day, have to be seen over the roaster lifespan.

So it?s more a response to say that the roaster is not a commercial roaster, and not build for roasting more than 3kg a day over the life span of the machine.

But again, it should not be a problem roasting 5kg in one day, the machine is just not build for that day-after-day.

threwitallaway
Hi,

I've addressed the "3kg/Day limit with an email that I sent to Jonas as soon as the spec sheet came out. It is on this page several posts back, on 02/09. Has anyone seen it?

Curious,

-nate

ciel-007

threwitallaway wrote:

I've addressed the "3kg/Day limit with an email that I sent to Jonas...

Nate, I did see the earlier reply you received from Jonas regarding the daily roasting restriction - thank's for sharing.

Ciel

oconner
ginny,

thank you for sharing the link. I am very excited about the bullet roaster. So sleek!!

Koffee Kosmo
A newly posted video of a roast

http://youtu.be/O...
I home roast and I like it. Designer of the KKTO
Roaster Build information
https://homeroast...ad_id=1142

https://docs.goog...lide=id.i0
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/

Bezzera Strega, Mazzer Robur Grinder, Pullman Tamper Convex,
(KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster.

beanut
Man that looks fantastic.

Anyone know how much its going for? That site ginny posted seemed to say $1500-2000.

beanut
GrinExpobar brewtus IV, MK K30 vario, Gene Cafe

ginny
from what anyone can see the pre-order is 1500 and later issues will be 2K but that was the last posting on the price.

we will need to wait and see...

-g

ciel-007
Ginny, after hearing about the great cafe-crema originating from the CG, the HT, and the M3... approximately when might we look forward to hearing about the shot coming from a Bullet?
homeroasters.org/php/images/smiley/forumsmiley2696.gif
Ciel

Omega

Koffee Kosmo wrote:

A newly posted video of a roast

http://youtu.be/O...

That looks very promising. A kilo is quite a large amount of roasted coffee for the home roaster, IMO.

One thing that I would like to see them address is the digital temp reading that fluctuates like crazy. A once per second update would be much more desirable and not nearly as irritating as the flickering shown in the video. I'm sure there's a techie way to express the fix; maybe "alter the refresh rate"?

I'm sure they will get that minor detail fixed. Otherwise it looks great.

Barry

shawnch
To anyone interested, I've been emailing with Jonas about the Bullet and thought I'd share his responses to my questions.

Q: I am very curious about the roast times with 1kg of coffee. I want to make sure that the roaster can handle 1kg and still have dynamic control (a good rate of rise) and not slow roast times.

A: "The Bullet can handle 1kg of coffee, but it of course depends on how fast a temperature rise you are looking for, and how hard the beans are.

We have successfully roaster 1kg Brazil in 12 min, dumped 30 seconds into sec. crack. This was with 1200W.
If you want to make a fast roast in less than 10 min on a really hard bean, and have a lower initial start temperature, then 1Kg might be too much, and you will have to lower the batch size to 800g

We use a very special heat transfer to the drum that we have patented. Our drum is also highly insulated, this is what makes it all possible."

Q: Do you have any intentions of making a video showing a full roast, Pre-heat all the way to cooling? I think this would be helpful in putting to rest people like myself who are skeptics.

A: "Yes, we will make a long boring video after SCAA, but I think that once some more established guys / girls start roasting on it, it will be easier for people to trust."

Q: Do you know when you?ll have a video of the cooling tray for the unit? I?m concerned that there?s lots of stray beans flying out of the drum when it?s being emptied, as you can see slightly in the prototype video you guys did.

A: "The beans are flying out because the drum speed is too fast. Now we have changed it so that when you press "cool" just before opening the door, the drum speed will decrease and you will not have this issue."

Q: Is it possible to adjust the sample rate for reading temperature? I noticed that in your February video, the temperature fluctuates a lot. It would be nice if it was a 1/sec sample, so it?s not flickering all the time like that.

A: "Yes, we will re-program the machine. The drum-temp is all over the place as it also reads the support beams inside the drum which is somewhat cooler. The firmware we have now is the most basic one. It will change a lot before the final release."

boar_d_laze
Yakster (Chris) visited the Aillio booth at the SCAA and posted his impressions on HB.

In a lot of ways we're still at the "if" stage with this roaster.

If it performs as it should, it looks like a lot of home roaster for the money. but there are quite a few limitations and compromises. It's competitive with the Huky 500 and Quest M3, but not -- unsurprisingly -- with the considerably more expensive North TJ-067.

Still unknown is the roaster's "agility" (my term). That is, how quickly it will respond to power and air control changes and how precisely the operator can hit interval target times.

Rich
Edited by boar_d_laze on 04/12/2015 11:15 AM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

ginny
>>>There's no sight glass or trier with this roaster which limits your visibility of the roast.<<<

this is a big issue for me as I like to view my roast...

ginny

turtle

ginny wrote:

>>>There's no sight glass or trier with this roaster which limits your visibility of the roast.<<<

this is a big issue for me as I like to view my roast...

ginny

I could not roast blind. The visual condition of the beans is what guides my roasts
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

frachlitz
There IS a sightglass AND a tryer on the bullet (i think the tryer is extra). I also know that there are two probes (1. BMT / 2. Drum Temp).

(From chatting with Jonas the inventor).

Think i am going to jumo the pre-order....

coffeeroastersclub
I looked at the review on HB. The single most interesting point of the roaster (for me at least) is the incorporation of induction heating. Some years ago I sketched out a magnetic induction heated continuous roaster machine (not drum type like the Bullet) but never got it post the design stage. Its nice to see this technology being formally applied to coffee roasting and espresso machines.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

ginny

There IS a sightglass AND a tryer on the bullet (i think the tryer is extra). I also know that there are two probes (1. BMT / 2. Drum Temp).

thanks, I went back and looked at notes and you are correct those items are there.

ginny

boar_d_laze
There's a lot that's interesting about the Bullet. I'm looking forward to a review from someone I respect who uses a roaster more or less as I do. That is, creating and following reasonably sophisticated profiles, hitting interval times with precision, using real-time BT plotting, etc.

The lack of a trier isn't a deal buster, but it bothers me because I like to get my nose right on top of the beans to track progress at end of drying and end of development.

Rich
Edited by boar_d_laze on 04/13/2015 1:11 PM
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

turtle

boar_d_laze wrote:

The lack of a trier isn't a deal buster, but it bothers me because I like to get my nose right on top of the beans to track progress at end of drying and end of development.

Rich

Last roast I burned my nose with the trier while getting a good "sniff".

More time on the roaster should resolve that small problem.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

boar_d_laze
Looks like the reports of "no trier" may have been exaggerated. I read in the ongoing saga which is the HB thread that the Bullet will whip with a plugged trier hole (which can be easily opened by the user), and the trier itself will be optional.

So watch your nose.

I also read that the Bullet will measure and dsiplay BT and some sort of ET (not sure how you do that with an induction heated drum). Aillio showed that in their blog a log time ago, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise. But, I'm becoming increasingly forgetful as the resins in my brain harden, and was never that bright to begin with.

That there's so much confusing information coming out of the Aillio booth at the SCAA leads to an inference that some things are still up in th air with the Bullet and the US roll out will be later than promised.

Rich
CookFoodGood

ginny
I think the roll out will be a bit later for us in the US but from looking back at the posts from Jonas I think the folks attending and reporting are making mistakes, not Jona and company.

ginny

rockon

boar_d_laze

ginny wrote:...from looking back at the posts from Jonas I think the folks attending and reporting are making mistakes, not Jona and company.

Possibly.

In the meantime, look at this.

Rich
CookFoodGood

Jump to Forum: