Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
BobbyS
The one on the front that is shown is a Spyraflo.

Edit: also on the back I have a contained 2 bolt bearing that I can lock the shaft with.
Edited by BobbyS on 12/24/2017 3:53 PM

BobbyS
Getting a little more done. Here is the trier I just finished.

The handle I ordered from these folks. Was inexpensive and I received it fast. I used the larger handle as I wanted as much distance from the hot end as possible lol.

http://www.lmii.c...ol-handles

i.imgur.com/9KA6TUpm.jpg

i.imgur.com/S0Kg6Ebl.jpg
Edited by BobbyS on 08/02/2018 12:54 AM

BobbyS
fixed
Edited by BobbyS on 08/02/2018 12:55 AM

renatoa
They are too perfect, imgur crashed when seen you parts smile

BobbyS
With Jacks great help! Thank you!

This is my trier I recently finished. Getting along on the rest of the roaster; trying to get the hopper finished up.

i.imgur.com/PO0oQ6ml.jpg

i.imgur.com/S0Kg6Ebl.jpg
Edited by BobbyS on 01/21/2018 12:12 AM

JackH
I edited your post and removed the ?1 that appeared after the jpg in your link. I do not see it in my Imgur links.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PO0oQ6ml.jpg?1[/img]

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BobbyS

JackH wrote:

I edited your post and removed the ?1 that appeared after the jpg in your link. I do not see it in my Imgur links.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/PO0oQ6ml.jpg?1[/img]

Oh, ok, just takes someone who knows what they are doing lol.

Thank You!

BobbyS
Starting to make some headway finally. Got the cart started (with casters) which makes it so much easier to work on now that it is getting heavy.

i.imgur.com/0queItKl.jpg

Exhaust port.
i.imgur.com/FnM1Igdl.jpg

With the bean hopper door in load position it covers the exhaust port so no beans get away.
i.imgur.com/IOsU16Dl.jpg
Bean hopper door closed.
i.imgur.com/wZK4oGKl.jpg

i.imgur.com/hEDiuvGl.jpg

dmccallum
Looking good. I'm liking that hopper-gate assembly!

renatoa
Are these necessary to be SO massive... ?
Just puzzled... not critical.
I am asking myself this question every time I see a commercial roaster too, especially the small models, 1 kg seems close to 5 kg.

JackH
Nice work BobbyS!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BobbyS

renatoa wrote:

Are these necessary to be SO massive... ?
Just puzzled... not critical.
I am asking myself this question every time I see a commercial roaster too, especially the small models, 1 kg seems close to 5 kg.

It is about 2kg, probably do a bit more and looks bigger than it is. It is about 14 inches across. Also it needs room for the heat chamber around the drum (not on yet) and insulation.

Yeah, go big or go home lol BBQ grill
Edited by BobbyS on 02/08/2018 4:08 PM

BobbyS

JackH wrote:

Nice work BobbyS!

Thanks Jack!

BobbyS

dmccallum wrote:

Looking good. I'm liking that hopper-gate assembly!

Thanks, I haven't tested it yet so we'll see how it works. Hopefully it will do well.

allenb
Very nice! Can't wait to see it tumbling some beans! BBQ grill
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS

allenb wrote:

Very nice! Can't wait to see it tumbling some beans! BBQ grill

Lol, you and me both! Do you think 1" of space around the drum for the heat chamber will be enough? You can see where I marked it with a marker on the inside of the back plate.

allenb
1" should be fine. I went with 1/2" on my 1 lb drum trying to limit the total finished width but had some issues with the inner sheet metal layer warping and rubbing on the drum since I mistakenly left no room for the metal to expand in length (front to back). I should have left at least 1/32" gap.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS

allenb wrote:

1" should be fine. I went with 1/2" on my 1 lb drum trying to limit the total finished width but had some issues with the inner sheet metal layer warping and rubbing on the drum since I mistakenly left no room for the metal to expand in length (front to back). I should have left at least 1/32" gap.

Allen

How can it be attached if it moves with heat? I want to be able to keep insulation out of the heat chamber.

allenb
This is one of the more troublesome areas of a drum roaster design. The structural rods connecting the rear and front plates are necessarily rigid and do not expand/contract at the same rate as the inner liner since the two do not see the same temperatures. One option is to mount the shield using angle brackets with elongated holes and somewhat loosely attach with lock washers so the shield can move independently from the front and back plate assembly. You have to leave a little room between the plates and shield and insulation shouldn't fall through the crack.

Allen

BobbyS
well my roaster is going on hold after amputating about 1/2 inch off my right thumb tip with my 12 inch disc sander. bummed i am.

btreichel
:thumbdown-gifShockhNo Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

BobbyS

btreichel wrote:

:thumbdown-gifShockhNo Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

cross fingers

BobbyS
i'll be back.......................

soon....

soon as i grow some thumb

ThumbsUp

BobbyS
Well, since I am working mostly one handed, and left handed at that. I have at least been able to work on the control part of my roaster.

Getting some things mocked up and lined out. Thumb is healing slow.

BobbyS
Thumb is slowly healing, ordered some more 12" 40 grit discs. cut some steel yesterday, slow going using mostly one hand but, like my doc said, **** happens. I am fortunate.

this is only an inconvenience, a little slow up in the work process on the roaster. I'm chomping at the bit, can't wait to "git er done" and fire it up.

but the time off from steel working has given me time to work on the control side of it, so, a little harm, no foul lol.

Jump to Forum: