Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
Ringo
When I built mine I used a bearing front and back. I used the set screews to hold the front one tight but let the back one float. It is important with a drum too let it get under 200 deg before you shut it down.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

ciel-007

Ringo wrote:

... It is important with a drum too let it get under 200 deg before you shut it down...

Ringo, that's a good point. In fact, the following established roaster brands (BellaTaiwan, Yang Chia, Feima, ... ) all recommend that their drums be cooled to 80C (176F) before being powered down.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK?NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

BobbyM15
I am going to use two spiders like normal, but I was going to move the front spider back just a bit anyway. I was going to have the ends of the drum faced on a lathe. I may have him thin the drum a bit, maybe to .130. Haven't decided on that yet.

I think I will mock this up without heat and see what happens with the over hanging weight as it won't change my drum design anyway.

Thanks for the replies and great info!
Coffee is a language in itself.

Jackie Chan

Ringo
If you do not have access to a lath, just glue sand paper onto the end plate and turn it on. Come back in an hour and it should be running square.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

BobbyM15

Ringo wrote:

If you do not have access to a lath, just glue sand paper onto the end plate and turn it on. Come back in an hour and it should be running square.

My piece of pipe is not even close to square from when it was cut. It would take a lot of sandpaper lol.

I do have another idea though with a small angle grinder and spinning the drum that I might try. I like doing my own stuff even though I have to use stone age hammers and such lol.

I have gotten so much info from everyone here and especially your build.

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
So I am leaving town for a few days. I dropped the pipe (drum) off at the machine shop guy so he can square up the ends and cut about .030 off the diameter. That will get the wall thickness close to 4mm and get whatever black stuff they coat well pipe casing with off; probably would not taste too good.

Next I will start on the innards of the drum. I will get to try out my new wire feed welder purchased back in 2011 when I had a false start on this project. Sometimes life gets in the way.

The wire feed will be handy making the spiders, vanes forward and reverse. I have an idea that may be new and different as I haven't seen it used. If it works on the mock-up I'll picture it out or do a You-Tube vid.

I have gotten so many great ideas from the group here I think it will work well. Every time another new build comes along all off the members are actually contributors and consultants to the project, which is cool.

woohoo

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
If a drum roaster has a trier why a site glass too?

Jackie Chan

turtle

BobbyM15 wrote:

If a drum roaster has a trier why a site glass too?

Belt and suspenders......
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

BobbyM15
Lol

Jackie Chan

Ringo
I do not use my site glass much, I look at it while roasting but my bean probe rules the roast. Even my trier is only used at the end of the roast. I guess I am a lazy roaster. I actually have two sight glasses the first one I added to the dump door and the beans just fly past there so fast you can not tell anything. I do have a trick for adding a sight glass if you want to. Get two hole saws, one 1 inch and one 7/8 inch. Drill the faceplate with the larger saw first almost all the way through but stop short. Then take the smaller saw and saw all the way through, this leaves you a small lip to rest the glass on. From McMaster Carr get a piece of high temp glass 15/16 dia. And it will fit in the hole. Make a cover and you are good.

BobbyM15
Thanks Ringo for the info. Here is one I made on my drill press a couple years ago before I got side tracked. I am just not sure if I really need it as space is limited on the front anyway.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/IMAG0062_zpstoecexse.jpg

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Does a BBQ drum roaster need a lot of holes?

I guess what I am trying to say is: does it need holes in the entire length or maybe just some in the ends and middle?

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
I forgot to add that it is two stainless steel bowls together and is larger in the middle. It is not a cylinder.

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Finally, some progress. Life can slow ya down sometimes. Got the drum coming along. It is 8"X12" . I found a good way to clean pipe when used as a drum. I washed inside with a green pad, then I mixed up some citric acid and submerged the drum in it. Scoured with SOS pad to finish up.

The outside is shinny because I had it trued up on a lathe. Fun part is getting the spiders in and getting them centered with the drum. The spokes for the spiders are screwed into the center hub. I can either screw them in or out a little to adjust.

I made a jig to set it up to assemble before I weld the spiders in. I have gotten the drum to within about .018 of being true. I think this will be enough as the spiders will deform the drum some if expanded to much which makes centering any closer pretty much unattainable.

[img]i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/Drum2_zpsaxjjtqbx.jpg[/img]

[img]i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/Drum1_zps2gy7ihzb.jpg[/img]

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
I am getting ready to make the mixing vanes. I will see how that works out as it looks like it takes a bit to get the right curve for the angle.

Then I will weld it all together and will post more photos. pouring

Jackie Chan

allenb
Here's an old document that shows how to get a pretty close approximation of the inner and outer radius of a sheet metal flight (vane in our case). It takes a while to figure out what the abbreviations are referring to but it eventually makes sense. They use a squiggly r for the minor radius which can be hard to see in the drawing where many abbreviations are crammed into the ID so you might need to blow it up a bit to read it.

The calculations give you one vane traveling 360 degrees. For calculating the radius values for a vane only traveling 90 degrees (for a 4 vane drum) I'm assuming you will need to use (pi x diameter) /4 in steps 1 and 2 for the right triangle base formulas instead of just pi x diameter.

Hopefully this helps with drawing up the vanes and hopefully their and my math is correct as well.
allenb attached the following file:
spiral_flight_development_2.zip [46.21kB / 829 Downloads]

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
Allen, we should put that file in the downloads area if it's not already there.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
Good idea, I'll get a copy posted there.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyM15
Thanks for posting this Allen, I am going to get after it!

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Fabbing up some vanes today, hopefully get then done tomorrow. I am going with a straight blade arrangement. I'll see if that works.

Here is a calculator that some might find useful.

https://www.easyc.../helix.php

Jackie Chan

allenb

JackH wrote:

Allen, we should put that file in the downloads area if it's not already there.

Ok, the vane radius formulas sheet is now in the downloads section for anyone interested in calculating those pesky vane radius values.

Allen

allenb

BobbyM15 wrote:

Fabbing up some vanes today, hopefully get then done tomorrow. I am going with a straight blade arrangement. I'll see if that works.

Here is a calculator that some might find useful.

https://www.easyc.../helix.php

Let us know how the calculator worked out with your vanes and if it was helpful we'll place a link somewhere accessible.

Also, let us know what you mean by "straight blade".

Allen

BobbyM15
Not so much a helix as we normally see, more like the outer vanes here:

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/img_diedrichdrumroasteragitatorvanes_zpsqaekxoul.jpg

The calculator worked pretty good. I will post some photos of my drum soon as I get finished welding.

Jackie Chan

allenb
Those are actually segments of a helix placed in tandem and to me, are more effective in mixing than a continuous helical vane. I used that strategy on my 1 lb drum roaster.

Allen

BobbyM15
I agree Allen. Here are some pics of where I am right now. Lots of work these roasters LOL.

I put some different colored navy beans in to see how it mixed and it did well. That is 2 lbs. of those beans. I think this will be a good 2 - 4 lb. roaster. It is 8-1/2 inch pipe x 12" long.

The outer vane angle is right at 25? as per your suggestion in a different thread: thank you!

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/8512455a-9d8f-4d97-afbb-837e2260dbb9_zps86tog1eb.jpg

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/7ef3d1e6-c932-4f80-90e8-dacb4c1fbd7d_zpsy0z6xjk9.jpg
Edited by BobbyM15 on 07/10/2015 1:05 AM

Jackie Chan

Jump to Forum: