Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
M Heyns
Hi I am newly registered please keep on posting, I am planning a similar build myself soon!

BobbyM15
How far into the bean mass should a thermocouple go? I'm thinking maybe 1" to 1-1/2"?
Coffee is a language in itself.

Jackie Chan

okmed
10 times the diameter of the probe.
RAF-1 Extreme (modified B-2K) Hottop with HTC+TC4C, HG-One grinder, Bezzera Strega.

BobbyM15
Okmed, Thank You!

Jackie Chan

allenb
In addition to the 10x diameter of sheath rule, there's one additional issue to be considered with sheathed sensors which is their tendency to conduct heat into the plate their mounted to as well as into the ambient air on the other side of it which will cause it to read lower than actual.

Many commercially made drum roasters will have their probes enter into the front plate and then make a 90 degree bend extending another 2 to 3" or so to ensure front plate conductance error is minimized. One needs to allow 3/8 to 1/2" between the side of the extended sheath and the front edge of vanes to prevent beans from wedging and thumping the sensor.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyM15
Great info, thanks!

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Making some progress, although not as fast as I would like, but oh well we have other responsibilities don't we lol.

Got the welding done and made the perforated drum end. I welded a shaft collar on it so I could remove the back if needed by loosening the collar and slipping the back off. These roasters are a lot of work, but enjoyable to build, if you like building stuff, and I like building stuff!

Then there are usually some screw-ups. Like when I ordered my drive motor I wasn't paying attention and ordered an "intermittent duty" motor. It would get hot after about a half hour under load even though it had plenty of ummmphhh. So remember to purchase what you actually need. Roflmao

At my current rate I will not get it on line until after the first of the year.....bummer! But I still have the trusty BBQ roaster to get me buy.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/dd4290e4-be2b-4cd5-a1bd-8cce43a3f458_zpsykaakfzs.jpg

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/28df490b-bdfc-475d-92fc-8b782e39fa79_zps20ztiddb.jpg

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/e142ef55-e284-459f-b783-738720e36d0d_zps6oywm4fw.jpg
Edited by BobbyM15 on 07/16/2015 3:04 AM

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Found a new motor, it's a beast and it works well. With 2 lbs. of beans it only draws 225ma.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/IMAG0184_zps3fllm41f.jpg

Put some real coffee beans in to try the new motor out. Gotta fool around with it somehow, right? The reverse vanes work well. You can see (sort of, sorry for bad pic) this one picking up beans and moving them back.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/322cf5c5-c3a0-4a1d-b772-8e7232a71ffa_zps1gut5otr.jpg
Edited by BobbyM15 on 07/18/2015 4:51 PM

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
I'll be drilling the holes for the burners and doing the plumbing shortly, we'll see if I blow up lol.

I am also trying to decide how much space to put between the back of the drum and the rear face plate. I was thinking 2 inches. That should be sufficient for good airflow through the drum I would think. What do youse drum guys think?

Jackie Chan

Axel

Ringo wrote:

I think either one would work but I would think the 1/8 inch would be the one I would pick.

Any thoughts on wall thickness for a 24"x30" double wall drum?

BobbyM15

Axel wrote:

Ringo wrote:

I think either one would work but I would think the 1/8 inch would be the one I would pick.

Any thoughts on wall thickness for a 24"x30" double wall drum?

I would think the inner wall would be heavier if supporting the spiders. Wall thickness would probably be determined on the method of construction for the drum.

I do know a double wall cookie sheet bakes better than a plain ole single sheet of steel.

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
OK got one burner fired up and didn't blow myself up. Windy but it worked well. Used low pressure high output regulator.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/Burner_zpsmffpg2jd.jpg

Jackie Chan

broeker
Looks great :-)

BobbyM15
I'm getting the other pipe ready and when some fittings I ordered come in I will fire em both up.

I am interested in seeing how they work on low pressure propane. The one I tested has a #52 orifice and .108 burner holes. It puts out a lot of heat.

I had the needle valve set at about 40% and had good flame. It has enough pressure, when opened up, with the one pipe to make the flame dance above the pipe so it should work well with both pipes.

We'll see!

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
I am getting the other burner welded up and set up so I should see how both work off of the low pressure high output reg. From the one I fired up a couple weeks ago it looks like it will be a go

I am also finishing up getting the parts together to regulate a needle valve gas adjustment with a small DC motor connected to the valve knob which is flat.

I am going to also control, in the same manner, the air damper, drum speed and cooling tray. I will use a Click PLC to control the whole process. Some Clicks have RS-485 ModBus RTU port which connects up just fine with Artisan.

This will be a good first start on what I'm sure will be a long path down a dark road for a bit. But hey, what's life if not one big challenge! Right!

BBQ grill

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Making progress sloooooly. LOL! Finally got the other burner together and tested and it works well on low pressure high output regulator.

I will have to wait until I get the rest of the roaster together to see if I get the temps I want from it. I am really trying to get it done by spring. I roast outside so winter time is a drag. I may eventually change it over to natural gas and bring it inside, but this is what I got going for now.

Little hard to see in the light I had.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/RoasterBurners_zpsvowj5ob3.jpg

Jackie Chan

BobbyS
Getting a little farther along. Working on the cooler now.

for some reason I am having trouble posting pics

BobbyS
i.imgur.com/jWh6CkQ.png

i.imgur.com/Ja7NyyC.png

i.imgur.com/4gm83bN.png

Got pics to work
Brain is slowwww

Next will be the bean chute greenman
Edited by BobbyS on 08/18/2017 6:45 PM

BobbyS
OK, making some headway. slow but steady lol. got the bearing brace made and cutout the opening for the bean chute. also made an adapter for the cooing blower to fit on the bottom of this pot.

if I get some welding stuff delivered tomorrow I will make the bean mixing paddles which (will attach onto the arm holders in the photo) and the actual bean chute. here some photos.

i.imgur.com/QXmWDdY.jpg

i.imgur.com/hJwXxdu.jpg

i.imgur.com/BpI60xY.jpg

a lot involved in this cooling tray. many parts to fabricate

allenb
Looking good! Looking forward to seeing the whole package come together. No pressure here limb

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS
Thanks,Lol, I am too. I need to get a propane pressure gauge for the burners, as in testing mine, it seems I hit full on in about 2 turns or on my needle valve. then it will open about 3 more turns but I don't think flow increases, therefor no increase in heat. I am using low pressure high output reg.

allenb
For a setup using a low pressure regulator (11" H2O feeding your needle valve), this pressure gauge should be in the right pressure range for you.

www.amazon.com/Ko...J2VCMK4PJ2

If after a few roasts you don't quite have the BTU's you'd like at 2 turns open, drill out your burner orifice one drill size larger.

Allen

BobbyS
Thank you Allen

BobbyS
I am working on my cooling tray. I am using perforated carbon steel with 1/8" holes and the beans hang up on the edges of the holes.

I am going to try and sand it with some fine grit sand paper and hope the edges get rounded some. I don't know what else to try. I don't want to Dremel every hole.

Ringo
That is one great machine. I wonder if you could put some rocks inside and let the agitator spin them, or scotchbright pads on the arms.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Jump to Forum: