Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
BobbyS
The scrubber idea is what I was thinking. What is hanging up is broken beans on the holes.

What I am going to try is using some green scrubber pad material on an orbital sander to round out the sharp top edge on the hole. I found some 5 inch pads on Amazon.

the paddles are made of food grade Teflon on the area where they touch the cooling tray so they slide real well.

BobbyS
i.imgur.com/ISmABdh.jpg

i.imgur.com/RsdxSWa.jpg

BobbyS
Ok, still fighting the stirring paddles on the cooling tray. I used a countersink and took the edge off the top of the holes and sanded the surface with fine grit paper. Then I put a fine grit green scrubber pad on my orbital sander and worked it over and it is smooth.

The *%$#* thumbdown beans still jam it up. The beans will not slide smoothly over the surface. I have changed the angle of the stirring paddles in relation to the tray surface and nothing has helped. The only thing I can think of is making a new cooling tray with smaller holes but then I won't get as much airflow.

If anyone has any ideas I am open to suggestions.

BobbyS
I am thinking that the thickness of the cooling tray may be what is the issue. It is .125 thick and maybe a thinner material, say .035 would not give the beans as much to hang up on.

BobbyS
I had some thin perforated SS laying around so I quickly cut out another cooling tray. Thinner material didn't make any difference.

I am going to take Ringo's suggestion and put some scotchbright pads on the bean paddles and let it go around for a week or 2. Maybe it will smooth and wallow out the hole on the right area.

dmccallum
Has the topic not come up before? Looking at videos of commercial roasters they seem to have fairly large holes or at least of comparable.

Be interesting to see the answer to this one.

BobbyS
I don't know if the topic gas come up before or not. But searching doesn't seem to come up with what I am looking for.

Most of the ones I have seen have what looks like smaller holes in comparison to the beans.

https://www.youtu...NPxUVvfbG4

https://www.youtu...TmEim2JgRU

https://www.youtu...amp;t=571s
Edited by BobbyS on 10/09/2017 5:31 PM

BobbyS
I did see a forum where a guy said he had an Ambex YM2 and said the hole size was 4mm ~.157
Edited by BobbyS on 10/09/2017 8:13 PM

BobbyS
OK, got some ss steel with .157 holes in it and it didn't work any better. I messed around with the stirring blades and got an acceptable usage with the cooling tray material I started with.

I am waiting for the front and back plates to come back from the machine shop. then I will start on the bean hopper on top. I will probably start making a cart for it now too.

Ringo
I wonder if the outside blade angled so steep is wedging the beans to the outside pot and thats where the bind is. your holes look right to me and should work. Funny story the uhmw you used on the stirrer is called virgin if its white. I ordered two sheets for work and the bill came into the office for $500 for two virgins, i got a visit from the owner.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

BobbyS

Ringo wrote:

I wonder if the outside blade angled so steep is wedging the beans to the outside pot and thats where the bind is. your holes look right to me and should work. Funny story the uhmw you used on the stirrer is called virgin if its white. I ordered two sheets for work and the bill came into the office for $500 for two virgins, i got a visit from the owner.

haha........he must be out of contact with $$$$ in 2017.

I will try the angle change next and see how that works. thanks!

BobbyS
OK, getting a little farther along. Testing function with some roasted beans.

https://www.youtu...y5Fwxdz0js

BobbyS
I extended the video some to show the inside of the cooling tray so the dump chute was visible. I cannot edit the above previous vid link so I just deleted the vid. Hope this method is cool with the mods.

https://youtu.be/...

BobbyS
OK, got the front and rear plates back from the machine shop. Nice water-jet cutting. Now to get some more pieces made. This is the front.

i.imgur.com/pP3vaMO.jpg
Edited by BobbyS on 10/26/2017 4:15 PM

BobbyS
Got the bearings on and set it up to see if everything lines up and it is good to go.

i.imgur.com/gOlD9GS.png

allenb
Wow, this is going to be one gorgeous roaster! Very nice!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS
Thanks Allen!

I am still at odds with myself on how much room to have between the back of the drum and the rear plate for air movement through the drum.

allenb
For a 1 kg and smaller, 1 1/2" should be more than sufficient from my experience.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS

allenb wrote:

For a 1 kg and smaller, 1 1/2" should be more than sufficient from my experience.

Allen

this one will be about 2kg. Maybe 2 inches?

allenb
That should be fine. It will provide plenty of open surface area to not restrict exhaust flow.

Allen

BobbyS

allenb wrote:

That should be fine. It will provide plenty of open surface area to not restrict exhaust flow.

Allen

Thanks!

BobbyS
Yea; making some headway again. been sick so got slowed down. doing better now and picking up a little speed.

got the door assembly, a thermocouple placement and hinge done, now the hopper and trier is next.

i.imgur.com/tdnxADM.jpg

allenb
Bobby,
Glad to hear you're feeling better and able to work on your roaster again. A lot of us, (including me), think we're invincible and won't have to deal with sickness issues but it inevitably catches up to all of us and reminds us we're human.

Allen

BobbyS
Thanks Allen, yeah a lot of folks around here have had some kinda crud and it's difficult to get rid of it.

Yup, I'll be getting my stone axe ready to start again.lol

dmccallum
I'm going with LFTC12 2-bolt housed bearings for the drive shaft.

What ones are you using ?

Jump to Forum: