Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,165
Newest Member: Ramper

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Roasting Plant NYC
JETROASTER
The Roasting Plant" in Greenwich Village (NYC) is the larger of their 2 locations. (The other is on the lower east side.) It is by no means large.
They do have a nice little automated green to brew system that I wanted to share.

I managed to jump in for an Ethiopian Harrar Masala and to grab a few pics. The system wasn't roasting at the time, but I did have the fun of listening to my order transport from one of the roasted storage columns over to the automatic brewer. Everything is single serve. She taps the screen, then comes a series of Willy Wonka sounds,....and coffee comes out.
The staff was manually filling a green storage column, suggesting that a part of the system is currently not operable.
The roaster tops out at 3lbs, but compared to what I've seen here at HRO,
I was actually more impressed by the brew side of this place than the roasting side. It is probably the most effective arrangement I've seen for offering a wide variety in single serve.
Here's a few pics. No technical info on the roaster, the Sunday crew just didn't know that much.
It's worth a visit. Nice crew, solid coffee, not at all pretentious.
Cheers, Scott
JETROASTER attached the following images:
rp_rc.jpg rp_3lb.jpg rp_greens_beans.jpg

ginny
Scott:

thanks for the info, looks way cool.

you are, of course, sending me the coffee???

-g

rockon

JETROASTER
Yeah, so about the coffee..... I drank it...sorry :)

To be honest, most homeroasters would find it worthwhile to drink a cup, but I don't see myself paying the $24 lb retail. It was better than most of what you can get out there, but still not as nice as our home roasted stuff.
Joyce found the whole thing somewhat underwhelming. I think she found the machine less interesting than what she gleans off HRO.
Still worth the subway ride, but the standout of the weekend was "BarBacon" http://barbacon.com/ A nice lineup of whiskey... and bacon
Tough to go wrong.
Cheers

DavidG
Hey Scott!

Great to see this place is still open, roasting and brewing.

I was there in 2010, I think...

http://homeroaste...ad_id=1756

All the best,
DavidG

edit to make link live, please make your links live...
Edited by ginny on 05/04/2015 11:46 AM
europiccola | yama + coryrod | chemex | AP | clever
wbp1 | wepp1 | bm/hg | co hybrid (still coming soon...)

JETROASTER
Hi David,
Your documentation was far better than mine!! It is still there. It has the vibe of a place that has changed hands, or the genius creator has moved on to other things.
Everything is a just a little tired....not as bad as the subway, but tired. Looking through my pics, I realized that the green inventory selector drive motor is missing.

I think the next evolution might be roast to brew! I'd take unrested coffee over uncertain roast date any day!!
Cheers, Scott

Jump to Forum: