Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Popcorn Pumper repurposed chute
Doug Dornbos
I broke the kerosene lantern globe that was serving as part of my Popcorn Pumper coffee roaster and really didn't feel like driving into town to buy another one. I really hated using the standard chute due to the poor visibility of the beans so I cut up the original chute, used heat to make some bends in what was left of it, and came up with this ugly little part. The beans are every bit as visible as they were when I used the lantern globe plus I have the advantage of the part staying in the base even when I tip it upside down so there is no more touching hot glass just to pour my beans out. I put the screw in because when it gets hot it wants to unfold. I'm not sure it's a long term solution because I already have some stress cracks forming and I've only used it 5 roasts. I'd be interested to see what others have done with this part.
Doug Dornbos attached the following image:
20150709_090213.jpg

ChicagoJohn
Hey, Doug: Always good when we can find inventive ways to repurpose parts just as you have done. Cudos!

Doug Dornbos
Unfortunately, my chute did not survive long with the modifications so I switched to a tin can, which, although it works pretty good, is responsible (I think) for the plastic shroud around the top of the Popcorn Pumper to start to melt. Has anyone else had this and what did you do about it? My guess is that the can just transfers heat too fast to the plastic.
meltedpumper.jpg

ChicagoJohn

Doug Dornbos wrote:

Unfortunately, my chute did not survive long with the modifications so I switched to a tin can, which, although it works pretty good, is responsible (I think) for the plastic shroud around the top of the Popcorn Pumper to start to melt. Has anyone else had this and what did you do about it? My guess is that the can just transfers heat too fast to the plastic.

Have a look at the "Passive Chaff Collectors" I made out of tin cans. I don't need to look at the beans at all anymore. I just go by temperature and time. No chaff, no mess; indoors or out. Time and temperature (and sound of 1C). That's all I use and it works perfectly for me.
So many beans; so little time....

Doug Dornbos
Before recycling, I try almost every different can in my Popcorn Pumper. The current Campbell's Chunky can of the 18-19oz. size is the perfect can.

It fits snug in the collar but it doesn't go in far enough to close off the slots. Beans get stuck in there. It's not a big deal, but it did bug me enough to grind down the collar so the can covered the slots.

There is a little space between the collar and the white cowl now but it hasn't been an issue and may actually extend the life of the cowl.

I can see the beans great while they are roasting because the chimney is not needlessly deep. Here are 150 grams roasting.
chunky_cansmaller.jpg

Jump to Forum: