Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
UPDATE IDEAS, STARTED 1/28
ginny
test...

and true that you need to click twice or more from mobile device plus you can not erase them. so be careful.

you may also not use this n you own posts. good thing me thinks!!!

ginny

skpacman
Yeah, it's not very mobile friendly. That may be solved in a future version. The infusion authors would have to be contacted about that.

If you reload the page and go back to the post you added a rating to, you can delete your rating by clicking it again under the post.

ginny
I have tested the process of deleting your "like" comments...

so you can, after you refresh the page delete an incorrect like by clicking that same like on the same bar, the bar on right, you will get a box asking if you want to remove the like and you agree - the icon will disappear until you refresh...

it will be removed after you refresh

ginny

remember it does not appear initially on the post until after you refresh as well, so you click" like," it appears after refresh so no need to keep clicking as it only adds more of the same.
Edited by ginny on 02/13/2016 7:37 AM

alexcampbell
I know that this might not be a popular suggestion, but I feel that there are way to many forums and sub forums etc. This completely fragmented approach does not lend itself to learning about the material on the forum and separates all of the fluidbed guys from the drum guys from the TC4 guys etc. I have been building my dream roaster for over a year and find that my visits to the site are all over the place and I have to go into 6 forums just to be updated on the information.
There are communities with 30 or 40 times the membership with only 8-10 forum choices.

SUGGESTION: Consolidate all forums that are not heavily used into the frequently used forums to allow members more efficient access to information and encourage sharing among the different sub-sub groups of builders and roasters. Looking through the forums my suggestion is taking every forum with less than 100 threads and consolidating into another forum.
Edited by alexcampbell on 05/13/2016 2:44 PM

ginny
Alex, Alex, Alex...

I know that this might not be a popular suggestion

not an issue... as we try our best to work with what we get.

thank you for your comments and I think you have points of merit but putting them into a real forum situation, where members randomly post, is difficult.

I have members tell me almost daily to make this forum or that forum because it is needed, yes it most likely is needed for some. we have tried to keep things in some order over the past 11 years but let me say from one who deals with this daily, it is hard to do...

clearly it needs to be done again, we talk about it but it needs serious thought.

There are communities with 30 or 40 times the membership with only 8-10 forum choices.

Alex, I am sure that is a true statement. do you have any idea how many post/threads we move daily to try to consolidate? tons-o-posts & threads...

plus we are just a simple hobby site that runs on great volunteer help to direct the traffic here.

I am curious to know how you would vacuum all of the members ideas into 8/10 basic forums without multiple sub-threads to help members out a bit to find what they want.

This completely fragmented approach does not lend itself to learning about the material on the forum and separates all of the fluidbed guys from the drum guys from the TC4 guys etc

so your approach would be to put all the roaster build/ideas in one place so that members must troll through double, triple, quadruple plus posts to find their information?

that approach does not seem to me to be the best but I have been wrong many times in my life. we will look at this again. I cannot tell you how many times I have spoken to our admins about the randomness of forums and ways to make it easier for members to find the information they need but the issue at the core is members post where they want.

Consolidate all forums that are not heavily used into the frequently used forums to allow members more efficient access to information and encourage sharing among the different sub-sub groups of builders and roasters.

ok Alex what you want is a forum with sub, sub, sub cats to wade through for builders and roasters? bet me if I put all of the roaster builds into one forum it would be a mess.

Alex, every member has their specific needs that they may not even know about until they look around and we are here for all...

we are one of the very first forums for home roasters and we are proud of that fact and we will continue to help any coffee roaster, want to be coffee roaster or builder around. we actually had the very first Coffee Roaster Build Contest on a the internet within a Coffee Forum space.

send me your ideas.

warmest regards,

ginny

roar
Edited by ginny on 05/13/2016 7:01 PM

JETROASTER
So, given the amount of info here at HRO and the reality that this is all volunteer, attempting to re-organize or re-sort would be a big task, and it might not meet the desired outcome. Here's a possible solution. I still think that tagging would increase the usability of the existing search feature. Not unlike searching instagram.
There could be a list of common tags that can be used or searched for. New posts could be easily tagged.....something like > #roaster I'm not sure if it is feasible to tag old posts, but older threads could get tagged with a new post to highlight relevance to various groups of interest....even if it wasn't the original intent of the thread.
Some threads wander a bit. Some of the wanderings have real value. There are plenty of "roasting" threads that contain a wealth of peripheral info. Re-organizing by title would not take us to any of the slightly off topic gems hidden within threads. Tagging would solve that issue.
Additionally, this approach allows all users to participate in the usability of the site.

Search #bigidea ....see where it takes you. Cheers, Scott

ginny
Thank you Scott,

you mention tagging and is that something we do not have already? I thought we did but no one used it.

please let me know. I am all for making information easier for members but it is a tuff thing to do.

we have all had these talks but were limited early on by forum software but I do not think that is an issue now.

will talk the Steve about this to put in place your tagging.

thanks for the input. I have so much information that at times I forget it and have brain freeze or old folks freeze as some call it. poop on those peeps...

ginny

roar

Turingalad
I second the motion for tagging.

I search the forum pretty often and usually end up having to use Google search instead of the in-forum search.

Ex: typing "airflow site:home-roaster.org" in Google is the best way I've found to search the site.

I still enjoy reading full threads, but often times find (via the Google search) information that really helps me is hidden deep in threads I never would have found.

Tags would help.

And/or a better search function in the forum.

Not sure how it looks on desktop, but on my phone (Android 4.4.4) the search doesn't give me results with the words I search for. (I know they're there, because I can find them with the Google search.)

A typical search in a forum/browser/search engine display results with sentence fragments including the words that I search for. I never use this forum's search because I don't get results like that. Not sure if it's just me...

FWIW, I don't think reorganizing everything into fewer sections/threads will solve anything.

ginny
maybe I do not understand tagging...

will go look at this issue again.

there is so much stuff loaded into these threads I am not sure anyone will ever find it all and that is the nature of a forum for the most part as peeps post where they are, not where they should...

let me look and if you have any other ideas I am and the entire staff are open.

ginny

roar

Jump to Forum: