renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
greyberry2, N C, welcome cup

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,210
Newest Member: N C

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
About to Start Buidling A 2.2Kg Roaster
staticnetwork
I've been glancing through this forum for about a year now and i decided to join in the fun :).

I've been roasting with a heavily modified bread maker w/heat gun and I'm able to produce some great coffee with that, however I'd like to be able to make more coffee at once (I can only roast about .5lb at a time.

I've done the research enough to know that I want a drum roaster for a full bodied flavor. I live near Portland Oregon land of micro-roasters and with my current roasting method I can duplicate what I like, lightly roasted natural processed African coffee. Anyway, I'm having a local machine shop make my metal parts for me, but I need to find a schematic for the drum/casing, I'm thinking I'd like to build a 9"x14" drum for the 2.2Kg of beans. Any advice would be awesome!

LongLeafSoaps
Awesome! Another drum roaster build! ThumbsUp

Please share your progress as you put things together Grin
Carpe Diem With Coffee

staticnetwork
What do you think of this for the burner? http://amzn.com/B... It looks like it will be the perfect size for my 9"x12" drum.
Edited by allenb on 02/04/2016 12:58 PM

staticnetwork
It appears that this burner is only rated at 16,000 BTU/hour, I probably need around 20,000 BTUs.

staticnetwork
Here are my hand drawn plans, critic if you see anything that ought to be changed cross fingers

I have three images here, the front, the inside front, and the side view.

Tony_C
I am surprised that someone hasn't tried to make a drum roaster out of the Solaire Anywhere

Very interested in your progress!
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

staticnetwork
Tony, that looks like it could make a good base, I'm thinking you'd need to modify that quite a bit to fit a drum in with all of the air flow and cooling things and such. I'm planning on using a propane gas grill as my base, I'm going to remove the burners and replace them with perfectly sized ones for my drum.

staticnetwork
I made a schematic of the front and the drum, here is what I have.
staticnetwork attached the following image:
roaster_22.jpg

Ringo
That looks great. I think it should work well.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

allenb

staticnetwork wrote:

What do you think of this for the burner? http://amzn.com/B... It looks like it will be the perfect size for my 9"x12" drum.

Working with replacement BBQ grill burners can be challenging since they don't come with the burner jet nor any means of mounting it. This leaves you with having to fabricate a fixture that an appropriately sized jet can be attached to and having to provide hardware to allow mounting the fixture/jet to the burner.

My advice would be to see what this company could do for you. It comes with all the hardware you'd need in a package. Also much cheaper than the IR model you linked to.

http://www.polido...;Lan=en-US

Here's a post showing contact info.

http://homeroaste...post_56388

One of our members (Broeker) used one of these and reported great results.

A note on using IR gas burners as you linked to. From all of my reading on them, it can be difficult to get them to work well in a drum roaster and can be a challenge to create efficient heat exchange between the heat from the burner and air entering the roaster.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Tony_C
<hitting virtual "Like" button on allen's post> good post
Great info that will help people not spend money on something they may not be able to use without extensive mods.
Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

staticnetwork
Allen, thanks for the info. I've seen that brand in forums before, I didn't think that they sold their burners in the states. But, after reading the linked threads it appears they do. I'm defiantly going to take your advice on IR vs open flame burners.

staticnetwork
I updated my schematic a bit, take a look.

allenb
I don't remember seeing this particular burner from Polidoro before but probably just missed it.

http://www.polido...;Lan=en-US

It appears to be just the ticket for a drum roaster as it would have a much lower flame height at the same btu output. They mention coffee roasters as one of its possible uses so maybe others have started using it for this application?

Hopefully the cost isn't prohibitive.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

staticnetwork
Those burners look perfect. Is there any idea as to what BTU rating I'm looking for or do I just want to ensure that the whole drum is 'covered'?

allenb
You mentioned 20 kbtus and that looks right to me as well for a 5 lb batch.

Its more important to ensure the burner btu capacity is not much larger than needed than it is to perfectly match the drum footprint. If the size of their modules allows stacking them to get close to your 20 kbtus and is reasonably close to your drum's length and width it will work fine. A couple of inches less than the drum length isn't a problem and getting the width close is even less important.

Allen

staticnetwork
Ok, here is my latest roaster schematic. This is probably going to be the dimensions I'm going to hand off to the machine shop.
staticnetwork attached the following image:
roaster4_2.jpg

staticnetwork
I contacted the US sales person for Polidoro and he tried to steer me away from the NP series, I got the impression that they don't have that in stock in the US. He said that the tubular burners should work good for this application and that he said the burner(s) should be 4-6" below the drum so that there isn't excessive CO2 build up. The US email address in that previous forum is no longer valid, here is an email that he told me to use: rrauschl@me.com.

staticnetwork
I have attached my latest design with the tubular burners with about 4" in-between the drum and the tube burners. Does anyone see an issue with this?

allenb

staticnetwork wrote:

I contacted the US sales person for Polidoro and he tried to steer me away from the NP series, I got the impression that they don't have that in stock in the US. He said that the tubular burners should work good for this application and that he said the burner(s) should be 4-6" below the drum so that there isn't excessive CO2 build up. The US email address in that previous forum is no longer valid, here is an email that he told me to use: rrauschl@me.com.

That's too bad about the lack of availability of the NP series. Were they able to fill you in on BTU rating versus length for their stock tubular burners?

Allen

staticnetwork
They are working me up a quote, I haven't seen it yet. He did ask what pressure I want to operate at. I'm not certain about a specific pressure.

allenb
If you'll be using propane with a proportional solenoid then I'd recommend around 5 psi to the burner for the lowest firing rate.

If you'll be using propane with a maxitrol selectra valve then there's two options for maximum outlet pressure, one ouputs a maximum of 7" WC and the other is 11".

So, you'll need to pin down what kind of valve you'll be controlling your roaster with before you'll be able to tell them what pressure you'll be providing the burner.

Allen

staticnetwork
After some back and forth with Polidoro USA they informed me that they won't sell me any parts because they said they only sell as an OEM vendor. So, unless I'm buying a large quantity of burners they won't talk to me. Any other ideas of an easy off the shelf propane burner system?

allenb
Sorry to hear that they have stopped selling retail. I had heard such good feedback from others on quality.

Give these guys a call to see if they would be able to accommodate your needs in building one of their custom pipe burners for you in shorter lengths than they show on their site.

https://tejassmok...Burners/24

They sell the cast iron venturi/jet assemblies (HPGX-1) further down the page, with their burners or separately as well. You would need to do a twin pipe assembly or two singles to get the BTU's needed in the length you need. You will need to be able to tell them what pressure range you'll be sending the burner and max BTUs needed for them to select an orifice. No guarantees but is worth checking it out. You should offer to send them a drawing of the twin pipe assembly as you would envision it fitting into your design. They can tell you how much unperforated straight pipe will be needed prior to the perforated portions.

Unfortunately, I've never heard any feedback from any of our members on if they have solutions for us roaster builders and what kind of customer service they offer.

Good luck!

Allen

staticnetwork
Ok, here is an update...

Even though the local Polidoro contact in the US told me they wouldn't sell retail. Someone else from Italy was in the email thread and they responded (Irene Pietribiasi i.pietribiasi@polidoro.com). She sent me a diagram of a burner made just for my roaster. They will custom make my burner and ship it to me for a total of $160. I'll post a couple of the images to show you all what they came up with.

Jump to Forum: