Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My New Grinder
turtle

LongLeafSoaps wrote:

I am reporting back..so far so good with this grinder...it is so quiet

I would recommend the Baratza Preciso to anyone wanting to move up to a quality grinder, but isn't ready to take the leap into one of the commercial coffee house type grinders quite yet...

For years it was their top of the line grinder so you should expect something a little better than "average"

LongLeafSoaps wrote:I would either recommend finding a used grinder on eBay, Craigslist, etc, since that is what you are essentially receiving if you purchase one of Baratza's "refurbished" grinder program, save yourself a little $$ since that is what you would be getting anyway...a used grinder.

with the exception that refurbished grinders from Baratza come with a full year warranty just like a new grinder does. Online auctions and online yard sale buys may or may not work (flip the coin). Buy with your eyes open and you will be fine buying "as is" used items

LongLeafSoaps wrote:I have yet to use this grinder for espresso, but I am roasting later today, and I am eager to see how it does with the R.O.K. With my hand Dienes Mokka grinder at the smallest grind setting, all I can get is a thin 1/8" layer of crema...I am not expecting miracles, but my fingers are X'd!

If you do not get fine enough, go inside and tweak the base setting a "smuge" to the finer side. You don't want to go all the way as then you wil not get any press level grinding out of the machine.

As with any grinder, there is no such thing as a "Swiss army knife" grinder. They are either good espresso or good pourover/press grinders. I've never found a single grinder that can do everything.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

LongLeafSoaps

turtle wrote:

If you do not get fine enough, go inside and tweak the base setting a "smuge" to the finer side. You don't want to go all the way as then you wil not get any press level grinding out of the machine.

As with any grinder, there is no such thing as a "Swiss army knife" grinder. They are either good espresso or good pourover/press grinders. I've never found a single grinder that can do everything.

I did take note of the "tweak" adjustment slot while I was inside the grinder, and so far.
I still haven't ground espresso yet. My 93 year old grandmother has been ill, so I have been dealing with that out of town...hence my lake of posts also ;)

So far, I am super happy with this grinder, and really, thanks Mick, for nudging me, and hand holding me, thru finding a replacement (and upgrade!) after the "refurbished" grinder fiasco I got from Baratza...otherwise, I may have purchased something I wouldn't have been very happy with, so THANKS!!!. pouring
Carpe Diem With Coffee

turtle

LongLeafSoaps wrote:

I did take note of the "tweak" adjustment slot while I was inside the grinder, and so far.
I still haven't ground espresso yet. My 93 year old grandmother has been ill, so I have been dealing with that out of town...hence my lake of posts also ;)

Sorry to hear about your grandmother not being well. My mom is 90 but luckily she is fit and just as sharp as she has always been. She just renewed her driver's license without any problems at all. You will recognizer her, she is the one who's car does not have a driver in it as she sits so low behind the wheel now.

LongLeafSoaps wrote:So far, I am super happy with this grinder, and really, thanks Mick, for nudging me, and hand holding me, thru finding a replacement (and upgrade!) after the "refurbished" grinder fiasco I got from Baratza...otherwise, I may have purchased something I wouldn't have been very happy with, so THANKS!!!. pouring

Once you explained to me what you were looking for in a grinder the choice was obvious to me. Sorry I had to bring out the big club for you to see it too.

In the years I owned my Preciso I never tried to grind espresso in it, using it entirely as a killer brew grinder. It spent its entire live attached to an Esatto.

So I can't offer any first hand advice other than to keep tweaking and once you have it set, "let er alone" only making minute micro adjustments to get your pull time within reason. Good espresso has a fair window of pull time so as long as you are outside of the bitter/sour range you should have very drinkable espresso. This would be the same advice I would give anyone setting up an espresso grinder.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Jump to Forum: