Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme or
ginny
Hi Guys,

has anyone used this grinder at all and care to comment?

will be used for reg brew coffee in reg brew machine.

Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill

thanks,

ginny

party
Edited by ginny on 03/05/2016 3:22 PM

JackH
I had one before I bought my Baratza Encore. Good for a regular cup of coffee in a drip brewer. Mine was very reliable and easy to clean.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ginny
Hi Jack:

where did you set your grinder for drip on his grinder? thanks in advance,
any negative for a first time burr grinder user. am gifting to friend.

ginny

greenman

JackH
I just used the medium setting. You can click up and down in small steps around medium if it is not fine or coarse enough. Cleaning it regularly is important since it can clog up.

I am not too fussy and this worked well for my daily cup of coffee. I think it is $49 new in stores. Good enough if you want a regular cup of coffee. Not good for espresso.

I would get them a cleaning brush too.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BenKeith
I had one I used when working in Texas to grind drip coffee. It was noisy, very messy and made a lot of fines. I finally ditched it and bought a Virtuoso Reman.

I bought it when I saw it on clearance for $29 from that stores regular price of $89, and it was about a $29 grinder.

ginny
ok guys what are my options if I kick up the price a bit more toward 100.00 bucks.

I use a Mazzer Mini and have for ages so I don't really know what's good or bad in a lower price but they need to ditch the blades grinder.

thoughts, please?

ginny

Capresso Metal Die-Cast Housing Conical Burr Grinder, Sweet Maria sell this and Thom says god things about it?

Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder

Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder

how does the less expensive Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill compare to the 3 above they are double or three times the price? this will be used for reg drip coffee 90% of the time.
Edited by ginny on 03/05/2016 4:07 PM

BenKeith
I can't help much with that. That DBM-8 was about the cheapest grinder I've ever used. The next one up from it, that I've had, is the Solis and then the Refurb Virtuoso's and then the Rocky and up from there.
The Solis was actually my first coffee grinder and got it because I was told it was good for espresso. NOT!

JackH
Amazon has a good comparison and if you check the reviews and ignore the espresso grind size obsessed, you will find a good grinder for general drip coffee.

Most are noisy and messy and you won't get around that for the price.

JackH attached the following image:
grinders.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

turtle

ginny wrote:

Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill

will be used for reg brew coffee in reg brew machine.

If all you will ever use it for is pour over or auto drip it should be fine.

The reviews on this grinder are pretty bad (build quality and performance) but most who have given it a scathing review are trying to grind espresso with it which this machine cannot do.

For any "water over coffee" brewing method that uses a filter, just about anything from a BIG hammer to a Robur should work just fine.

With a low end "street" price of $35 shipped (http://www.monsal...rency=USD) you can afford to go through a number of them over the years and not reach the cost of a higher priced brew grinder.

ginny wrote:

where did you set your grinder for drip on his grinder? thanks in advance,

any negative for a first time burr grinder user. am gifting to friend.

ginny

You might want to set it up for them as part of the "gift"

For someone just getting into good coffee, fighting with their tools to make a cup can be very discouraging.

Edited by turtle on 03/06/2016 10:12 AM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

turtle

JackH wrote:

I would get them a cleaning brush too

Most are noisy and messy and you won't get around that for the price.

I call these 3 items my grinder "necessities"

A good catch tray that is large enough that the grinder can actually set within it so that it catches messes from all directions. The one pictured below, which is what I use, comes with a hard rubber portafilter "whacker". It is a separate piece of hard rubber that is NOT attached to the tray. If you are grinding pour over you would not use that extra "bit" and have more "catch" room. Three of the sides have an angled bend/curb so that spills stay within the tray. The forth side is flat to slide under the grinder so you have a bit of flexibility in how you position the grinder on the catch tray

A good brush that doubles as a grinder clean out AND a counter sweep up

A pastry scraper (yea). These make killer small "dust pans" to sweep the spills and general dust/mess that grinding beans make

These are the 3 that I actually own. I liked the catch tray so much that I bought a second one that I will take to my cabin in the great white north to use up there. The tray has ample room for my super jolly. Was great when I was single shot grinding with a doser (messy)

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/grinders/grinder-necessities.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/grinders/v-p-sj_zps9zuq0321.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

DiggerinVA
Ginny Seattle has a good review(it looks pretty fairr) on the Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder. It will be the grinder (in white) I get next. I have the Capresso(plastic housing) and it works fine , just a bit messy. The Bodum looks much cleaner.

ginny
Digger and all,

thanks for the input on this issue; Digger, I had not seen that review but will go look thanks for the note.

seems these less expensive all get a bad rap for messy and I just don't get it, they cannot be that messy.

am going to see what Seattle says.

again thanks,

ginny

cool

DiggerinVA
Messy yes, the static causes them to have fine stuff creep everywhere. Do you want a picture! ;-)

ginny
well the end result, after testing four in the same price range, is the
Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme Grind Automatic Burr Mill.

at 44 bucks it is a very good grinder for a first for my friends and as they drink mostly drip will be perfect for their use.

thanks for all the kind help in my pursuit of a grinder in this class.

ginny

cool

Jump to Forum: