Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Repurposed Presto Poplite Bean Roaster
ChicagoJohn
In the last work in the Quartet, T.S. Elliot ends up Little Gidding with this famous quote:

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.

What I found this Winter, when I was hungry for popcorn, was that the Presto PopLite Popper I modified to roast coffee, re-fitted with the original hood and butter melting cup, makes the very best popcorn I have ever had, I must say, without any burnt kernals, all fully popped.

Just a matter of finding out how to adjust the heating profile... easily enough done with a trial or two.

Nothing better than a big bowl of buttered and salted popcorn with a nice cup of Yirga Cheffe made on an Aeropress. I must say.
So many beans; so little time....

JETROASTER
Somewhere in the vast HRO collection, there is a video of Sean Harrington (aka UNTA) using his 10lb behemoth air roaster to blast out a full jar of popcorn. It created quite a storm.
If I can find it, I'll post the link. If that fails, I may have to recreate the experiment. Cheers, -Scott

ChicagoJohn

JETROASTER wrote:

Somewhere in the vast HRO collection, there is a video of Sean Harrington (aka UNTA) using his 10lb behemoth air roaster to blast out a full jar of popcorn. It created quite a storm.
If I can find it, I'll post the link. If that fails, I may have to recreate the experiment. Cheers, -Scott

I guess it's true what they say: " What goes around comes around." , eh?

Beans today, grounds tomorrow.... coffee in the interim ....

ChicagoJohn
Another update on the popcorn roaster mods I did -- Having run out of roasted coffee, I got the Mod 2 out today, ran five batches (1 lb or green) Yirga Cheffe. Just at 60 minutes, start to finish. I'm doing everything the same now with a modified Scott Rao profile. Chamber temperature for each minute starting at 20C, 1-90C, 2-118C. 3-139C, 4-157C, 5- 174C, 6-183C, 7-191C (1C), 8-198C, 9-205C. That seems to give me a result I like the taste of pretty generally. I've found I like blending 50/50 rather than drinking one variety by itself.

After installing the cheese cloth over the bottom of the PopLite roaster in conjunction with the passive chaff collector, I've had no more issues with clogging the air flow inside the popper from chaff.

I just ran these five consecutive batches and I think I could have done another few, and no problem with the chaff collector. The transformer case temperature was only 53C at the end, well below maximum allowable case temperature.

Jump to Forum: