Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hottop Data Logging Upgrade
RobertL
I'm thinking about upgrading my HT-B2K so I can log data and control the roaster from a PC. I already have omega probes installed through the back wall of my roaster. I'm trying to decide should I use my existing probes and add a HT/TC4 board or should I do the B2K+ upgrade. If you were in my situation what would you guys do? Any reason why one would be better than the other?

turtle
Both "should" be pretty much the same. The plus model mounts the ET probe near the heating coil so you may get higher ET readins with the plus.

If you already have the probes in, you can use a simple dual channel datalogging meter. There are several listed in the Artisan interface list.

I have used an Amprobe TMD-56 to interface between probes and artisan

I have also used a TC4C+LCD to do the same thing.

I find the meter "easier" to set up as you can use standard K type plugs on your probe cables and a USB to your computer running artisan. The TC4 set ups use a board mounted screw terminal that is a bit of a PITA to hook up and take down, unless you permanently mount the board inside the roaster.

I chose to have panel mount prob connectors on the back of my roaster so I can use anything as an interface. TC4 meter, PID, if it can take in probes and output USB and is supported it works for me

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/plugs.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/6-25-2015_roast_zpsvgybtvpe.jpg
Edited by turtle on 04/07/2016 10:22 PM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

RobertL
Do you control your HT from the panel or from the laptop with your setup?

RobertL
Another question. I have the probes linked below which have a high temperature ceramic insulation with inconel overbraid and a grounded junction (style 1 in the link). Will I have grounding issues with these probes?

http://www.omega.com/pptst/XCIB.html

turtle

RobertL wrote:

Do you control your HT from the panel or from the laptop with your setup?

I can do either when using the TC4 interface as it is bi-directional (temp out and signals back to the roaster)

With a meter it is one way, signals from the probe to artisan and nothing back through the meter.

The way I set up my roaster I do not have ANY limitations on how I wish to use it.

there is a HTC inside the roaster that hooks to an external TC4C+LCD device in an enclosure. The probes connect from the panel mount on the roaster to the TC4C unit and the TC4C unit connects to a laptop.

HTC controller inside the roaster takes signals from artisan and sends them to the fan and burners to raise/lower them from the computer:

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods/HTC_mounted1_zps6fda25b4.jpg

TC4C+LCD hooked to hottop and laptop

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods/1st_roast_6-4-2014_zpse5545845.jpg

I have the TC4C+LCD held on my cart by a cell phone holder which keeps things neat and tidy

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/cellHolder2_zps04a01830.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

rgrosz78

RobertL wrote:

Another question. I have the probes linked below which have a high temperature ceramic insulation with inconel overbraid and a grounded junction (style 1 in the link). Will I have grounding issues with these probes?

http://www.omega.com/pptst/XCIB.html

I bought those same probes from Omega, specifically because they do NOT have any grounding issues. They work fine, but the temp readings are about 20 degrees F lower than for many other probes. Here is some discussion about these Omega XCIB probes:
toomuchcoffee site
roastlogger site
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

RobertL
Thanks for the reply. I checked out the links but my probes are a different style than the ones mentioned. Mine are style 1 ground junction probes. I think they will work though. I decided to go with a Phidget 1048 instead of the other options. It should be here next week.

RobertL
Phidget arrived today and I logged my first roast with no problems!!
RobertL attached the following image:
el_retiro_425.png

Jump to Forum: