Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Restrictor Plate Roaster by MarkBart
MarkBart
Restrictor Plate Roaster
Here?s an entry from MarkBart and Blue Crew Racing from the heart of NASCAR country, just outside of Charlotte, North Carolina. What we have here is a lightly modified Breadman Pro from Salton mated with a Wel-Bilt 1600W heat gun.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Restrictor.jpg

The heat gun is held above the bean mass by the restrictor plate, the smaller restrictor raises the HG about 4? above the breadpan bottom while the larger restrictor raises the HG about 3.5? above the breadpan bottom. The restrictor plate is a piece of ?? plywood with holes to match the diameter of the front shroud of the HG. The holes were cut using a jigsaw.
Modifications to the BM were the moving of the thermolimiter and heat sensor to outside of the machine and the removal of the lid during roasting thus giving this machine it?s C Stock classification. Other modifications are the addition of cool racing magnetic signage.
The stock BM used here has a metallic stiring plate, a rectangular breadpan that holds a 2 pound loaf, and a 30 minute knead cycle broken down into a 3 minute slow knead and a 27 minute fast knead.
Supporting equipment include a 20? box fan on top of a gardening tray used to provide clearance for the fan while it?s in the downdraft mode. Power is brought in by a 50? 16 guage extension cord and a 3 way splitter. A blue cooler is used to raise the roaster up to a comfortable level.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Roaster and Fan.jpg

More cool racing magnetics are used to channel air flow through the stainless steel collander used to cool the roasted beans.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Roaster from behind.jpg

Costs: Used BM to replace this one $7 from Salvation Army Store
New HG $16 from Norther Tools
New 20? Box Fan $10 from Ace Hardware
New SS Collander $8 from Hobby Lobby
Used Extension Cord and splitter cost unknown from my work trailer
Include:1: Capacity: Probably 1.5 pounds but I?ve only done 0.5 to 1 pound roasts
2: Heat: Electric
3: Agitation: BM dasher and force of air from HG
4: Roasting Time: 0.5 pound 5-8 min to first crack 9-11 min to second crack 1.0 pound 8-11 min to first crack 11-14 min to second crack
5: Roaster Temp at finish: unknown
6: Roasting Process: With box fan powered up, HG in smallest restrictor and on top of the roaster,

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Top Setup.jpg

pour beans into breadpan, select dough cycle on BM top panel, hit start, set rocker switch on HG to High. Sit back with a cool beveage of choice and watch.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Phone Lizard.jpg

Even though this breadpan is rectangular the beans are sufficently agitated during the fast knead cycle to heat all the beans evenly.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Green beans.jpg

At about 5 to 8 minutes first crack starts, you will hear it very nicely.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Yellow beans.jpg

It will start slow and build in intensity then trail away.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Tan beans.jpg

One may turn the HG to low to prolong the roast but I usually leave it as it is.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Darker tan.jpg

During this time chaff is blowing everywhere.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Chaff on Machine.jpg

Now is the quiet time as the beans soak in the heat, they turn darker and you will start to see smoke.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Thru the restricter.jpg

Now is the time to make sure the collander is clear of chaff and place it on the box fan. When second crack starts it will be a lot quieter, something like muffled popcorn, Turn off the HG and remove it and the restrictor plate from the BM, the second crack will continue so be quick. Using Ove Gloves, pull the breadpan and dump it into the SS collander, stir beans with your Ove gloved hand untill cool, only about 3 minutes.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Bean Gun cooling.jpg

Put beans into your mason jar, unblock the rest of the fan, place the BM on the fan for cooling, put the breadpan and HG into the collander on top of the fan for cooling.

bellsouthpwp.net/h/s/hsbart/elleamandas/projects/coffee/pictures/Roaster/Cooling all.jpg

Sip cool beverage for 5 minutes or so and get ready for the next batch.

Questions and comments are welcome, I hope you enjoy this simple build.
Mark Bart
Edited by MarkBart on 06/24/2007 2:56 PM

Dan
Mark, thanks for your entry, our first. Any chance of adding some photos including a closeup of the restrictor plate?

Just a reminder to everyone, you have until the end of the Contest to add photos and edit your entry.

MarkBart
The Restrictor Plate
MarkBart attached the following image:
Restrictor_Plate[199].jpg

ginny
Mark, looks great I would love to see more up close pictures...

very cool thanks for entering.

ginny

s:8s:8

MarkBart
Not one bit, since I usually place the BM ontop of the fan to cool it down after a roast. The cooler underneath is accessable at that time,
Remember friends don't let friends roast drunk
Remember friends don't let friends vote drunk either.
Cooling all[203].jpg

Edited by MarkBart on 06/09/2007 2:30 PM

MarkBart
I had to replace the Wel-Bilt HG with a Milwaukee 8975-6 HG. I've also added a "Stick Shift" to aid in the bean movement. It's not a twig, it's a plain ol' stick. Due to the lower air flow of the Milwaukee the "Stick Shift" is needed to shift the lazy beans out of the corners of my rectangular bread pan. (No picture is nessessary, so I've not included a close up of the stick.)

ginny
I love your entry. I wish I could get more photo's.

ginny

s:8s:8

MarkBart
Sorry Ginny, my photos take up 19.5mb. I tried to reduce them from 2856x1904x16million to 640x480 and upload them to my website and add a link here to them but, AT&T has hosed up the bellsouth website access.
Top setup[206].jpg

MarkBart
When I roast, I usually have a couple of watchers, I just missed a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird with the camera. She was just to fast for me. Usually 2-3 American Anole show up and flare thier throat pouches at either me or each other. This one is almost as green as the beans.
Bush Anole 4[207].jpg

ginny
mark, why can't you make them jpeg's? or?

silly boy!

ginny

s:8s:8s:8

MarkBart
They are jpg's. I can condense them down to 640x480 but they are about 250kb, I have to compress them to smaller than 320x240 so they can be uploaded here with the 97.66kb limit. The other choice is to reduce the color count from 16million to 2 or 4. Taking a picture that starts at about 550kb and compressing it without making it too grainy to under 97kb is a tough thing to do.
Fence Anole[208].jpg

Edited by MarkBart on 06/19/2007 9:53 PM

David
So he posts a 1024 x 768 jpg! Shock

:(

MarkBart
When I hit post reply, the attachment box says Max filesize 97.66kb and won't show a picture in my reply that is larger than that.
I can't just copy paste a picture from my hard drive into this box, so how is it done?
Edited by MarkBart on 06/20/2007 7:15 AM

MarkBart
I want to thank AT&T for not messing up my Bellsouth website too badly so I couldn't finally figure it out.

Main article has been editted to include pictures in the body of the article. I used larger and better quality pictures than what was used as attachments.

I hope this clears up some of the questions and photo requests.

Thank You
Mark B. Midland, NC

David

MarkBart wrote:
When I hit post reply, the attachment box says Max filesize 97.66kb and won't show a picture in my reply that is larger than that.
I can't just copy paste a picture from my hard drive into this box, so how is it done?

Just a few questions on procedure.

You used the Browse button in the Attachment section, right?
Did you use "Preview Reply" ?? If so, that would explain having no picture. You have to hit "Post Reply" to get it to show up.

I haven't had a picture rejected that was within the 500x500 specs.
Pictures wider than 500 pixels give a scroll bar at the bottom of the page and won't fit on most folk's screens. Ed's picture above illustrates this. It still posted, but part of the picture is cut-off without scrolling.

Some folks do use the external link for images.
This allows multple pictures as well, as in Mike's Poppery aritcles.

I hope this helps.

MarkBart

Just a few questions on procedure.

You used the Browse button in the Attachment section, right?
Did you use "Preview Reply" ?? If so, that would explain having no picture. You have to hit "Post Reply" to get it to show up.

I haven't had a picture rejected that was within the 500x500 specs.
Pictures wider than 500 pixels give a scroll bar at the bottom of the page and won't fit on most folk's screens. Ed's picture above illustrates this. It still posted, but part of the picture is cut-off without scrolling.

Some folks do use the external link for images.

I found if one used the browse button one could load ONE picture to a message directly from one's hard drive or other website. Since I was having problems uploading to my own website, this was the only way I could get a picture into the message. I knew about the no picture if "Preview Post" was selected problem, so when I posted an attatchment I never used it. If I posted a message with picture using the "Attachment by browse button" any file I tried to attach that was over 97.66kb never showed up in the forum when I hit the "post Reply" button but any picture that was less than 97.66kb would show up fine. Since then I was able to figure out what AT&T messed up on my Bellsouth website and repair it so I could upload to my website. I formatted my pictures so that the largest axis was 500 pixels and uploaded the pictures to my website. I then editted the original posting and did external links to the new pictures from my website. Now the entry has multiple higher quality pictures than before, or as the advertisers would have you believe "It's New and Improved!
Posting pictures on this forum is not just "drag and drop" or "cut and Paste from a Word Document" it's either a single picture below 97.66kb using the attachment section (just below the smileys and above the Preview Reply / Post Reply buttons), Or multiple pictures already on a website (within the 500x500 pixel restrictions) via the external link (using the "img" button).
In conclusion, my confusuion and problems were all tied to AT&T messing up my website by not allowing me to upload pictures to the net and tring to put more than one picture into a message via the limited capabilities of the Attachment feature. Since that problem has been cleared up I have posted several items with multiple pictures on this forum (Review of Wooden Coffee Mug Kit and OT of Turned desk set).
Mark B. Midland,NC

MarkBart
I tried a couple of different batch sizes today with the Milwaukee 8975-6 and it's lower air volumn.
With the rectangular pan a 1 pound roast needs some stirring to keep the corners from holding beans.
With a 1.5 pound roast one only needs to stir about half way until the beans swell and start falling into the center well created by the stirring paddle. It took about 15 minutes to first crack and another 4-5 minutes to second crack.
The last roast I did was witht he beans my stirring pushed out of the breadpan. So with 4 beans, the time to roast was very similar to a 1 pound roast due to the air stream pushing the beans into cooler parts of the pan. I also tilted the machine so that on corner was lower to help keep the 4 beans in a smaller group.

David

MarkBart wrote:
I also tilted the machine so that on corner was lower to help keep the 4 beans in a smaller group.

Tilt! Tilt! Shock

Actually I tilt my bread machine also, even though the teakettle is round. The paddle just seems to sweep better somehow.

Thanks for posting your progress, Mark.
Edited by David on 08/20/2007 12:44 AM

ginny
Mark Bart:

I am amazed with what you have done with everyday stuff. AMAZING work. Thanks for the entry and good luck.

ginny

ps,

I love chocolate

s:8s:8s:8

EddieDove
Mark,

From a fellow NASCAR fan, I love the fact that that you have two differently sized ports on the restrictor plate for profile control. s:2s:2s:2

Does the painters tape mean that its gonna get new colors? ;)
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

MarkBart
Hi Eddie!
I actually use the larger hole for the stick shift to stir the beans out of the corners, the other hole aims the heat gun down the center to assist the paddle to move the beans and apply DEEP HEAT! (sounds like an old commercial doesn't it). I found with the Milwaukee HG this setup was essential when doing pound and a half roasts. I would probably cut a new larger plate for stability but stay with two holes. The painters tape stick the thermolimiter and the pan heat sensor to the outside of the shell. It also holds the control panel in place untill I can find the screws again, my version of Bear Bond hehehehe.
Mark B.

EddieDove
Okay ... I can't resist any longer and have to ask ...

Have you ever tried throwing the lizard in there and having a go of "local cuisine?"

Fess up now! What was it like? Chicken?

s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

MarkBart
I wouldn't know. The lizards are my roasting buddies. Even this one looks like a lizard! c:3

EddieDove
Yeah ... I couldn't do it either. They are all Lenny (or Loni) the lizard to me and every year we get fresh batches of the little ones in the gardens.

One day, one tried to jump from the brick into the bush when I was walking by and landed inside my shirt! Whole lotta shakin' goin' on!!!

s:8s:8s:8s:8s:8
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

MarkBart
Not to mention all the unnessessary bugs they eat off my tomatos and peppers. I'm not lookin to make any enemies.

Jump to Forum: