Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Grind for Pour Over
ChicagoJohn
It's my first few days with a paperless pour over, and something new sparks searching for a sweet spot. My little hand burr mill has stayed at the same setting for over 18 months now since shortly after it arrived. But Ginny's post made me want to try my wife's espresso machine (which I'd never even thought of doing before), and I managed a fineness of grind even finer than her stock of Starbucks.

That was kind of a bust; it was pretty acidic and missing the spectrum of taste and flavor I was getting from my Aeropress. But that led me to try a range of fineness this morning with my new pour over equipment.

After four adjustments, ranging from the espresso range to a very granular one approximating barley, I looked at two in between and I think I've found that sweet spot. And I'm also very, very wide awake, especially for this early in the morning !!
So many beans; so little time....

turtle
I am happy with "close".

I have 2 brew grinders.

I keep one grinder set for the Bunn since I use that machine 90% of the time I brew. What can I say.... I'm lazy and the commercial Bunn brews pretty good coffee.

The other grinder is set for Chemex and with a couple clicks it will do Melitta. I'm happy between 4 and a half and 5 minutes brew time which includs a 20 second steep

I find that the Kalita Wave and the commercial Bunn are very similar in what they want for a grind so when I use the wave I use the Bunn set grinder.

Now if I reach for a press or Vacuum pot, all bets are off and have to scratch my head and decide which of the two grinders I will set to "wacky" mode.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Jump to Forum: