renatoa
04/18/2024 12:36 AM
bijurexim, greyberry2, N C, welcome2

renatoa
04/17/2024 9:27 AM
morning, branchu

renatoa
04/14/2024 5:56 AM
TheOtherJim and papajim, welcome to forum !

allenb
04/11/2024 6:33 PM
Zemona Welcome

renatoa
04/11/2024 9:19 AM
Mrbones and sgupta, coffee drink ?

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,211
Newest Member: bijurexim

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Artisan and Mastech 6514
walt_in_hawaii
Hello all, I've just downloaded Artisan 1.0.0 for windows and installed it a couple minutes ago. I have also purchased a Mastech 6514 thermometer, and trying out the software for the first time.

Artisan seems to recognize the mastech; in the upper left it shows the thermometer there but it then says "0 received, 18 needed" in tiny print.
Nothing appears on the screen, no data. The mastech shows the temp of the thermocouple, but no data is making it into Artisan... any help appreciated!

thanks,
walt

JackH
Hi Walt,

I am not familiar with the Mastech but it may need to be put in a mode where it connects to external devices.

You might also see if it has a reset procedure. Sometimes it needs to clear and initialize if it has been sitting a while on the shelf.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

walt_in_hawaii
JackH, you were right! I assumed the Mastech should display the temp values on its face and also feed the same reading out on its USB line. But there is a button on it to choose the output called PClink that I have to press each time I hook it up to the computer.

Artisan now works! Can't wait to try it out on a real roast.... (I'm still under full manual control)

aloha,
walt

JackH
Glad it worked Walt!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

walt_in_hawaii
Ooops! spoke too soon... it seems a bit glitchy, but today it stopped working. The temp registers on the meter, and it says "USB" so I know it is supposed to be transmitting to Artisan, but Artisan does not display the temp... on upper left it says "Unable to open serial port". The COM setttings and baud rate are correct. But it won't read the temp into Artisan? anyone have a clue here? Also, the BT and ET are no longer displayed, it now displays AET and ABT (delta ET and delta BT)... how do I get it back to just ET and BT?

walt_in_hawaii
Found the issue! I had been playing in the Config screen and had turned off the LCD by mistake...

malabar
Walt - I'm hoping to get a Mastech 6514 soon. Thanks for posting your experience with it - a good reference when I get mine.

A few questions...
What's your roaster?
Did you use the probes that came with?
If not, what probe(s) did you get?

I've got a Freshroast SR500, and was considering this probe:
uxcell K Type 20cm Probe Thermocouple High Temperature Sensor 1.65M
https://www.amazo...B008MU0SUM
--
Thanks,
Frank

renatoa
Posting a warn here, to not start a new thread...
To all Mastech owners: beware, the probes are not protected against over-voltage !
Fried mine by touching the naked/non-insulated junction to metal parts of two different ovens, each with own power cable, only one being grounded.
However, the instrument IS labeled with a warning to not exceed 30V from the inputs to ground... but who reads this :)
So beware to not touch ungrounded metalic oven parts if your TC have a conductive path from junction to sheath !
The inputs are connected to a SGM8552 dual op amp, cheap, $2-3, hope is the only damage, and I can repair only by replacing this chip. Will keep you updated.

pixelsmithy

renatoa wrote:

Posting a warn here, to not start a new thread...
To all Mastech owners: beware, the probes are not protected against over-voltage !
Fried mine by touching the naked/non-insulated junction to metal parts of two different ovens, each with own power cable, only one being grounded.
However, the instrument IS labeled with a warning to not exceed 30V from the inputs to ground... but who reads this :)
So beware to not touch ungrounded metalic oven parts if your TC have a conductive path from junction to sheath !
The inputs are connected to a SGM8552 dual op amp, cheap, $2-3, hope is the only damage, and I can repair only by replacing this chip. Will keep you updated.

I appreciate this warning (just setting mine up for the first time with an Artisan 6m roaster). But to clarify, if one is only connecting to a single roaster (with the Bean Temp thermocouple) there is no danger of this problem, correct?

renatoa
IF the junction (of any channel) touch an ungrounded conductive part of the oven, AND, thermometer is connected via USB to a computer, THEN the conditions for an overvolting the input are met.
Unless the computer is a laptop on battery, so no mains.

cloudcover
Hello there! I also just bought a Mastech MS6514 and am trying to use it with Windows 10 and Artisan. Having trouble though. :(

I installed the software from Mastech's website, then launched their "Thermometer" application. I tried each of the COM ports one at a time and they all failed to connect except COM 3, which caused the software to indicate "Online" in yellow. No temperature readings, though, so I made sure to press and hold Setup until the display indicated "USB". But still no temperature readings. Tried unplugging, re-plugging, restarting the software, restarting the computer, etc, nothing helps.

I'd seen elsewhere that maybe this requires installing the Silicon Labs driver, so I went to that website and installed their Universal Windows driver (x64). Still no luck. :(

I though maybe it's an issue with the Mastech software and tried Artisan. Chose Mastech MS6514 as the device and COM 3 as the port. But when I click "ON", I get an error saying it received 0 bytes but was expecting 18.

It seems like the USB interface/driver isn't working right, or maybe I'm using the wrong COM port. When I look in Device Manager, where exactly should I look to see if the driver is installed and working (and what should I be looking for)?

Any other troubleshooting or advice also welcomed!

Thanks!

renatoa
You should see a Silicon Labs CP210x UART to USB device. So looks mine on W7.
I would check Silicon Labs for W10 drivers

Jump to Forum: