Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Gedeb Washed
JackH
I ordered this from Happy Mug recently and waiting for it to arrive. I am curious to see how this washed process yirgacheffe coffee really tastes compared to the usual dry or natural process. Banana is one of the taste notes for this.

I am not a big fan of Dry process or "Honeyed" or Natural. It all tastes like fermented coffee bean juice to me. Unfortunately, green coffee seems to be going this way. Even Costa Rica is offering "Honeyed" coffee now.

I guess the process saves water but is labor intensive.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

oldgearhead
I agree with you. I like 'washed' coffee much better than any 'dry process' coffee. I usually get a Guat or Kenya AA washed versions.
Most 'dry processed' coffee is not worth the extra chaff to me..
No oil on my beans...

allenb

I am not a big fan of Dry process or "Honeyed" or Natural. It all tastes like fermented coffee bean juice to me. Unfortunately, green coffee seems to be going this way. Even Costa Rica is offering "Honeyed" coffee now.

I've had very bad luck with all but one "honeyed" dry processed coffee. Most had a pronounced monsooned malabar fermented odd taste (like Jack mentioned) and had no similarity to typical dry processed African or Brazilian coffees I've had in the past. Not sure what happens with the "honey" part of dry processing but I'm avoiding it until I hear they've fixed the problems. I've never experienced this taint with any African dry processed coffees. If it did happen with them, the blueberry notes would be swallowed up in the fermented funk notes.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
I know a lot of folks love the dry process coffee. I was just curious to see how the Yirg will taste as a washed coffee.

What I should have done is buy the same coffee in washed and natural and see the difference. Happy Mug has both.

I will let you know how it goes. It is coming this Tuesday.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ChicagoJohn

JackH wrote:

I will let you know how it goes. It is coming this Tuesday.

I'll be interested to see your evaluation. I've been mostly using a washed Yirgacheffe I buy locally. Never knew there was a dry processed version.

PS - Thanks for reminding me about Happy Mug. I used them when I first got started two years ago, and since I'm sort of starting over now with espresso, I just placed an order to get a few different SO's to try. Great prices, and I remember that Ginny always spoke highly of their quality.
Edited by ChicagoJohn on 01/15/2017 8:29 AM
So many beans; so little time....

walt_in_hawaii
JackH, any report on this one? I was looking over the same bean... I chose to get 9 lbs of IDIDO instead, figured it was a safer bet (mine hasn't arrived yet, should be this week). But a friend also mentioned the Gedeb Washed is pretty good as well... I'm realy curious about it but have TOO MUCH (other assorted) green beans already that I have to use up before it gets too old :(

aloha,
walt

JackH
I only bought 3 pounds and it will arrive tomorrow. I also bought 5 pounds of my favorite: Guatemala Huehuetenango Guaya'b

I am not very good at tasting subtle flavors like you see in some of the descriptions.

I will report back after I roast some.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

walt_in_hawaii
Thanks, Jack! Will be watching this with anticipation, despite the backlog of greens yearning to be roasted at my place. I know I have a definite problem with my eyes being too big for my coffee mug. I have that Huehuetenango as well, I love its richness, but it seems to come with a bit of bitterness as well, I take it around 30 seconds into rolling 2C... I have to dilute it, one part of huehue to about 2 parts of ethiopian and it is much more palatable and gives the mix a liveliness that I like.
aloha,
walt

BenKeith
I did the same thing, I ordered three pounds of each just so I could compare the two. They also had a listing in their roasted coffee for it (just didn't say which one it was) and I ordered a pound of their roast. Just so I could compare it to mine, and see how they think it should taste.

ChicagoJohn

BenKeith wrote:

I did the same thing, I ordered three pounds of each just so I could compare the two. They also had a listing in their roasted coffee for it (just didn't say which one it was) and I ordered a pound of their roast. Just so I could compare it to mine, and see how they think it should taste.

Good plan. What did you think?

BenKeith
Haven't had a chance to think yet, still waiting on them to get here. It will probably be toward the end of next week before I roast them now. I just roasted yesterday afternoon.
I put off roasting until I was out hoping they would get here, they were expected to be here NLT Tuesday, but our mail system here is screwed. I just got a priority package from CA yesterday that was supposed to have been here by last Thursday.

BenKeith
Wouldn't you know it, they arrived this morning. I tried a cup of their roast and it was pretty good, it was the Natural sun dried. Can't say it had any one very pronounced flavor that grabbed you, but that was just a quick stab at the first brew, so it still needs some tweeking,

walt_in_hawaii
My IDIDO came in a couple days ago, if anyone's interested. The tasting notes say 'peach' is the major note... I took mine out fairly early and it does have a bit of grassy tang to it (my fault, it was taken out fairly early to preserve as much of the citrus flavors as possible) but although there is a general fruity/citrus flavor and an agreeable nuttiness, I don't think I'd call this peach :(
My next batch will stay in a tad longer to fix that twang, but although its a good bean, not really what I was looking for.
In the same order, I also picked up a few pounds of Indian Yelnoorkhan and BOY, is this one intriguing! It has the most interesting aromas I've encountered while roasting it up... spicy, enticing odors... really nice. in tasting the cup, it was nice but just ok... I'm convinced I have to drop at a different temp. Next batch I will take this a bit higher, the notes say the spiciness increases if you drop near 2C, I think I dropped 15F shy of that.

CharcoalRoaster
ANy update on this roast?

A friend of mine just ordered the dry processed Gedeb from Burman and said its one of the frutiest crops this year he's had - I LOVE a good fruity cup. Happy mug carries the same bean both dry and washed processed so I'd rather order from them depending on the notes you guys have come up with.

Thanks!

BenKeith
Mine didn't come until yesterday and I had just roasted the day before, but I'm giving serious thoughts to going into roasted coffee overload and try roasting a small batch tomorrow. They have my curiosity up about the roasting and brewing. They say it's best brewed right out of the roaster to get the pineapple flavor. They also recommend the middle being 1.5 to 2.0 minutes faster than normal. Not sure what they consider "normal" but my normal puts FC at roughly 9:30 into the roast That's going to put FC at 7:30 to 8:00. I'm curious to see how a 8:30 to 9:00 to EOR is going to do, and then brewing right out of the cooling tray. I'm thinking if I push it that fast, I may get scorched beans, but were are gonna see.

If I get a chance, I will probably do a 150 gram roast (about as small as I can go and keep it uniform) of the Natural tomorrow with their recommendations and see what happens.

JackH
I received the beans but have not been able to roast. Out two days from work with the flu.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ChicagoJohn

JackH wrote:

I received the beans but have not been able to roast. Out two days from work with the flu.

Take care, Jack. The flu is nothing to take lightly!

I got the Yirgacheffe Gedeb washed yesterday along with five other 1 lb samples from Happy Mug and managed to get them all roasted this morning to a "just into 2C" profile for espresso trials next week. We have two days of 50?F weather here !!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

BenKeith
The more I look at what I already have to use up, I think I'm going to wait at least a week. I'm sitting on almost three weeks of roasted coffee with that pound of roasted I bought. We just don't use a whole lot of coffee, less than a pound a week

walt_in_hawaii
OK, curiosity got the better of me. I just ordered a pound of the Gedeb washed just to see what it's like... keeping my fingers crossed.

BenKeith
OK, I had to try some of the Natural, 20 minutes out of the roaster. It's different, can't really say but I guess it's more banana.
I did 150 grams the way the said they liked it best.
I took it to 300F @ 4:00
Rolling FC @ 7:15
EOR right at the end of FC @ 9:02
150.1 grams = 131.3 roasted.
Not real sure I agree with the brewing it right out of the roaster. I'll see how it taste again tomorrow.
I'm drinking it as I type and as it cools, that flavor gets very strong, but it still has no bitters, actually pretty good and I don't usually like luke warm coffee

JackH
I finally tried the Ethiopia Gedeb washed. Small bean size and I think I took the roast a bit too dark. I can taste a apple? wine like flavor and aftertaste. Seems like a weaker Kenya to me. Next batch, I will shorten after 1C and see.

My next coffee I bought is a Panama Camiseta Estate. Good reviews. I have never tried coffee from Panama. We'll see.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BenKeith
Mine must have turned out fairly close. My wife does not like coffee with a fruity flavor. This afternoon I was making me a cup of that I roasted yesterday and she asked me to make her one also. So, I did a carafe in her Keurig, with 25 grams and the 3-5 cup setting. She later told me she didn't like that coffee, it had a real sweet fruity taste to it. I told here that's what I bought it for. She told me not to make her any more.

walt_in_hawaii
any sourness? tart? what temp did you dump at?

BenKeith
No, even the pound of their roast I bought has no sour, or bitter notes.

I don't dump mine in at a temp, well I do, but it's below 100F. As I've mentioned before, I use RoastLogger. I dump my beans in the roast chamber and start it, it's preset to 100% fan and 30% heat. When the bean temps gets to about 98F, I hit the LOAD BEANS, this actually starts the roast cycle and the PID is set to take control of the roast at 100F. So, once the PID takes over, it's all by the numbers, I just stop it when I'm ready. The PID would do that also, but only where I have it programmed. Due to small variations in that because of humidity etc, I may not want to stop at the same exact point every time. Sometimes FC my start at 390F or sooner and another time it may not start until 395F. Difference in FC Start times usually affect EOR times and the PID has no way of knowing that, it just knows it's at the time/temp, so I do the stopping.

Now, if you are talking about what temp did I stop the roast, I usually judge that by FC when I can hear it, and I could on these. When I've gone a few seconds and haven't heard any more snaps, I stop the roast. As for temps, doubt my temps would help much in another roaster.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/26/2017 10:21 PM

walt_in_hawaii
JackH

Posted on 01/26/2017 18:11

I finally tried the Ethiopia Gedeb washed. Small bean size and I think I took the roast a bit too dark. I can taste a apple? wine like flavor and aftertaste. Seems like a weaker Kenya to me. Next batch, I will shorten after 1C and see.

My next coffee I bought is a Panama Camiseta Estate. Good reviews. I have never tried coffee from Panama. We'll see.

Thanks JackH! About the same as the IDIDO that I got, then... my 1 lb of Gedeb washed should be here today, but I just roasted last night. Maybe this weekend... good luck on your Panama, I've never tried anything from there, either; although I've been lusting after a geisha for some time now, but this year's crops of geisha seemed to get only so-so reviews.

aloha,
walt

Jump to Forum: