04/23/2024 7:01 PM
Paul Kalb Welcome

renatoa
04/23/2024 4:34 AM
Coffee_Rabbit_Hole
and Michaelion, welcome cup

renatoa
04/21/2024 2:35 AM
compactjack and GreenGenie coffee drink ?

allenb
04/19/2024 8:27 AM
eximwind Welcome

In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
dmccallum - 10.00
JackH - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Anonymous - 2.00
Anonymous - 5.00
Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 8,227
Newest Member: AGZ

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
If you ever thought you couldn't justify the purchase of a Hottop...
Randy
As I approach the final decision to purchase a Hottop for over a grand, I kept telling myself it was a good investment and I could justify it.
Then I sat down and figured out how much money I spent on buying prepared coffee over the past year before I began roasting my own...
Conservatively, I spent $20 a week on coffee before I roasted my own...and that is really lowballing it.
Multiply that by 52 and you come up with $1040.00.

Justification...DONE!
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

oldgearhead
I am assuming you purchased one pound of roasted whole bean coffee for $20/pound, right? The same unroasted coffee beans, may be purchased for $7.00, correct? The shrinkage on that $7.00 is 18%. So the replacement coffee cost about $8.30. Therefore,
you saved $11.70/pound, right? When you multiply by 52 that is much closer to $600.00, right?

The above calculations do not include the labor or the enjoyment of home roasting. Its as more of a fun hobby, that you might save a little money doing..
No oil on my beans...

snwcmpr
20 per lb for roasted coffee?

Clarify. Were those bags a full pound?
Edited by snwcmpr on 02/09/2017 8:58 AM
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Randy

snwcmpr wrote:

Well in NY that's cheap but I was talking about buying cups of coffee at cafes ect.
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

oldgearhead

snwcmpr wrote:

Well I don't recall 6 years ago but I think it was someplace in Georgia, but Happy Mug starts around$11.00 and Metropolis, Chicago (The Best) starts around $15.00 for dated bags of one pound..
No oil on my beans...

Randy G
A lot of us roast coffee because we enjoy it. Having freshly-roasted coffee on hand at any time we wish, being able to blend and roast to meet or taste preferences, and seeing the faces on friends who try our coffee is a reason to home roast. Having a friend grab a bag of fresh roast offered as a gift and hid it in her bra is just a bonus.

It is much the same reason that I bought my wife a Zoji bread maker and we have an induction auto rice cooker. We could also just buy Uncle Ben's rice or Wonderbread instead (it's a "Wonder" they can call it bread).

Trying to financially justify a hobby is a very quick way to suck the enjoyment out of it.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

turtle
I'd roast coffee even it it cost more.

It is a relaxing hobby that keeps your brain sharp (either think or burn)

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: 2 kilo Chinese drum
Grinders: Mazzer Major - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

BenKeith
If I tried to financially justify most any of my hobbies, I wouldn't be doing anything but watching TV on a small Black and White television. Try bass fishing at the near professional level and see the thousands that cost each year, or get into radio control helicopters and see what that cost you each year. I could probably buy 10 new HotTops each year for what I spend on just those two. That doesn't not even get into the guns and shooting a a ton of others.

I build my own because I just enjoy the challenge and the extra knowledge it brings learning how to do it. Just like shooting, I reload my own bullets for the extra precision I can get.

Oh, and for every bass I eat, it' probably cost me about $5,000 a pound, because I rarely keep one.
Edited by BenKeith on 02/09/2017 10:27 PM

renatoa
This is reasoning to justify roast at home, not to buy a specific machine. ;)
Cognitive dissonance, the pain of modern times :)

BenKeith
When I taste what I roasted versus what I buy is all the reason I need for that.

Randy
Wow, I certainly did not expect responses like that. Especially from Randy G, who had read my other posts and knew that I had already budgeted for the purchase and had decided to buy it. Evaluating a large purchase like this is something that was born of necessity...the decision was already made, I just felt so much better about it when I realized how much I was spending at places like starbucks.
I was raised by a father who owned his own business which was seasonal. From November to April the only red meat we consumed was venison that he hunted (and we lived in suburbia not the back woods). My grandparents told me stories of the depression where things like butter and eggs were rationed no matter how much money you had...if you didn't have a coupon, you didn't get it.
As a divorced mother of two, I was left to raise my kids without without a penny of child support when their father skipped the state. When I looked for assistance, I was told I would have to stop working...I told them to bite me and never looked back. It is from those days of evaluating every purchase that the habit was born. As a result, my kids went to private schools...college and had a nice vacation every year.
I have been blessed with a six figure salary for the past 20 years and yet I am very aware how quickly things can change so living within my means and evaluating every luxury purchase is a habit I will never question or be made to feel ashamed of.
For those of you who do not feel the need to question such a purchase...I am glad you have the finances and stability to be able to make such decisions. I don't however, feel you represent the majority of people on this site and for those that either must evaluate such purchases or simply choose to, I hope my post was of benefit.

snwcmpr
Well said. I for one could not afford the HT at the prices they are now. I paid about 500+ for mine. (Years ago)

There are some really well roasted commercially available coffees out there. So to poo poo all commercial coffee is an inaccurate statement. As well as to say all home roasted coffee are great. I have given away quite a few roasts. thumbdown
Mountain Air and George Howell are 2 I can say are OUTSTANDING! I am sure there are others.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

BarryR
Unless you live near a good roaster, you need to include postage in the calculations.
The problem with mail-order roasted coffee is you can't buy much at time or it defeats the purpose of getting fresh coffee. This is part of what pushed me to home roast. With green beans, you can buy about a 6 month supply without worrying too much about freshness.

So, when you put it all together, unless you have the disease where you need to constantly buy roasting equipment, a Hottop will pay for itself over a few years.

I figure the beans I buy for $6-$8 / lb would cost about twice that (easily) from a gourmet roaster (subtract ~13% for roasting shrinkage though, and a teeny bit for electricity). I would guess I save about $5-$7 per lb I roast.

I am a happy owner of a B-2K with a TC4/HTC setup and love it. I do wish I could roast up to 3/4 lb or so and it would be nice if the element was a lot hotter for better responsiveness, but overall, I think it's a great setup.
Barry

jkoll42
If your budget accepts it buy it. If not build it.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

turtle

jkoll42 wrote:

If your budget accepts it buy it. If not build it.

Right.

I bought my Hottop B model from someone for $100 who caught it on fire

Did the full mods and rebuild and end up with one fine customized coffee roaster for very little $$$

A few months ago I took it all the way to a stock plus model. The upgrade cost more than all I had invested into the entire roaster.

Well worth it though.

snwcmpr

turtle wrote:

I bought my Hottop B model from someone for $100 who caught it on fire

Did the full mods and rebuild and end up with one fine customized coffee roaster for very little $$$

A few months ago I took it all the way to a stock plus model. The upgrade cost more than all I had invested into the entire roaster.

Well worth it though.

Is it too much to ask for you give a more 'in the ballpark' idea of those costs?

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

rpaulo

Randy G wrote:
It is much the same reason that I bought my wife a Zoji bread maker and we have an induction auto rice cooker. We could also just buy Uncle Ben's rice or Wonderbread instead (it's a "Wonder" they can call it bread).

You should try making bread by hand (using a Kitchenaid for mixing/kneading). It's WAY better than any bread maker.

Randy G

rpaulo wrote:
You should try making bread by hand (using a Kitchenaid for mixing/kneading). It's WAY better than any bread maker.

We have talked about it, and with retirement coming up in the next year or so it could happen. The only drawback is that we have an all electric home, so the oven leaves something to be desired.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

rpaulo

Randy G wrote:

rpaulo wrote:

We have talked about it, and with retirement coming up in the next year or so it could happen. The only drawback is that we have an all electric home, so the oven leaves something to be desired.

I don't think electric vs. gas matters that much. Convection matters much more. In fact, I always heard that electric ovens are more stable temperature wise, but we have a gas convection oven and it's great.

turtle
I use a large pizza stone in my ovens, placed as low as I can get them (on the floor of my gas, on the lowest rack setting on my electrics).

It takes another 20 minutes to get that stone hot but the temp stability of the oven is greatly increased.

I agree. Convection is a MUST for bread baking if you want any type of crust.

snwcmpr

turtle wrote:

I use a large pizza stone in my ovens, placed as low as I can get them (on the floor of my gas, on the lowest rack setting on my electrics).

It takes another 20 minutes to get that stone hot but the temp stability of the oven is greatly increased.

I agree. Convection is a MUST for bread baking if you want any type of crust.

I agree. I use a toaster oven and bake wonderfull wild sourdough bread. I use a pizza stone nearly all the time for all cooking in the oven.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

rpaulo
I calculated 2kg of roasted coffee for us. The 2K+ hottop will pay for itself in 2y...

turtle

rpaulo wrote:

I calculated 2kg of roasted coffee for us. The 2K+ hottop will pay for itself in 2y...

It will "pay for itself" with the first cup of coffee you taste from fresh roasted beans

Jump to Forum: